MS Office and Leopard problems

OP
H
Reaction score
Everything I have read says that this is an indicator that your Carbon library files are corrupt. Those are the ones that enable C++ programs to resolve correctly if I remember right. Only way I know to restore those files are to reinstall OSX, and uninstalling/reinstalling Office will have no effect as those are not Office files, but OSX files. Apparently it is a well known and widespread problem from what I see on google, and is not just a Leopard problem, but reaches all the way back to OS9, and OSX 10.1. No-one I have read has had any luck with anything other than reinstalling OSX. Good luck!

I'm just scarred to death of what to do once I do a clean install? Like how to put iPhoto library back, iTunes, Mail subfolders. It scares the living daylights out of me. I do have an external hard drive and Time Machine back-ups.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Back up your HDD with SuperDuper. it will copy everything. Do an erase and install, connect the external drive and transfer what you want over by dragging to the desktop.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Back up your HDD with SuperDuper. it will copy everything. Do an erase and install, connect the external drive and transfer what you want over by dragging to the desktop.

Even easier would be to use the Migration Assistant at the end of the Leopard install to import all of your data, Applications and settings back in from your SuperDuper or Time Machine backup. It's pretty much effortless.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks all. I'll try and do an erase and install this weekend! Can't wait to see if this works...fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Permissions

Did you try repairing / checking permissions?
How familiar are you with Terminal?

OP
H
Reaction score
Did you try repairing / checking permissions?
How familiar are you with Terminal?

Yes I did a repair (to which it did acknowledge a bunch) and checked permissions.

Not too awful familiar with Terminal.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.