MS Office and Leopard problems

Reaction score
MS Office and Leopard Problems possible solution

Have you tried to delete the Microsoft Folder in your Preferences?
Users> Your user name> Library> Preferences> Microsoft!
Put the Microsoft Folder into the Trash.
When you open any Office program after that a new Microsoft Folder will be recreated automatically.

Reaction score
Office and Leopard

Have you tried to delete the Microsoft Folder in your Preferences?
Users> Your user name> Library> Preferences> Microsoft!
Put the Microsoft Folder into the Trash.
When you open any Office program after that a new Microsoft Folder will be recreated automatically.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Stinker. I thought that might do it but nope. Still get the same shared library error. In fact I tried to open MS remote desktop and it gave me a shared library error. And when I start the computer for the first time in the AM I get an HP Photosmart shared library error. I'm losing it.

Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of is trying to repair disk permissions. Have you tried that yet?
You can do that in the Disk Utility. Then restart the computer and see if Office opens.

OP
H
Reaction score
$50 if you can fix this!

That's right. I'm at the end of my rope. A genius couldn't even fix it the other day.

I'm not in the business of bribery or paying people off but if you can fix this problem you'll get some loot from me fo sho!

Here's the cliff's notes version. Ever since upgrading to Leopard I get this error message EVERY time on startup:

Picture1.jpg

Now I click OK and it goes away. There are some well documented replies to my pleas earlier on this forum but nothing has worked.

I have done everything anyone has suggested enthusiastically and nothing has worked. The other rub is I get the same "shared library" error when I try to open up anything in MS Office (Word, Excel, etc.). I get a similar "shared library" error and the app will not open, just goes away.

I'm looking forward to hearing and trying any more suggestions and if someone nails it $50 straight away to you! It's that bad...

Reaction score
What have you tried?

Which version of 10.5 are you running? Did you do a clean install or did you upgrade from Tiger?

What version of Office are you running? Have you uninstalled Office and reinstalled? Have you removed the plist files in your ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft directory?

Not sure what has been tried so far, but we need much more information in order to help.

OP
H
Reaction score
What have you tried?

Which version of 10.5 are you running? Did you do a clean install or did you upgrade from Tiger?

What version of Office are you running? Have you uninstalled Office and reinstalled? Have you removed the plist files in your ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft directory?

Not sure what has been tried so far, but we need much more information in order to help.

I'm running the latest version of Leopard. I did an upgrade from Tiger. I'm running Office 2004 and I've tried a reinstall numerous times. I haven't removed (to my knowledge) any plist files. I'm ashamed to say I don't even know what they are.

Here's the error I get when I try to open Excel...the same thing with Word, entourage and any other MS app. In addition to the start up error with the hpconnectivity?

Picture1-1.jpg

Reaction score
So... to check out the plist file "thing" create a new account, then launch one of the Office programs.

OP
H
Reaction score
A created a new "test account", logged in and the exact same error messages popped up. The hp one when it logged in and the shared library errors when launching any MS Office apps. Then they just quit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Did you do an ugrade and install when you updated to Leopard

THere have been issues with upgrade and install

You night try reinstalling Leopard and doing an archive and install - that way if it doesn't work you still have the archive to fall back on

Do an archive and install so that you get a clean install - then install Office 2004 and see if that works

Reaction score
I can say that Office 2004 DOES work under Leopard...but I did a clean install to a new hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
I just did the upgrade and my Office 2004 worked fine. I have since upgraded to 2008 (waste of time) but never had problems with 2004 and Leopard and just a simple upgrade.

Did you try this?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842646

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
husky123, you could have probably avoided quite a bit of these redundant questions and suggestions by simply bumping the last thread you started on this issue. Double-posting is generally considered to be poor form.

OP
H
Reaction score
Did you do an ugrade and install when you updated to Leopard

THere have been issues with upgrade and install

You night try reinstalling Leopard and doing an archive and install - that way if it doesn't work you still have the archive to fall back on

Do an archive and install so that you get a clean install - then install Office 2004 and see if that works

I just did a disk repair and verify, restarted and the same deal.

If I do an A and I will all my photos, mail subfolders, settings, etc. be wiped out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes. Using Tiger or Leopard an external HDD is a wise investment. Back up and erase and install wipes everything. Bu first, I\if you do not wish to do that, try popping Office 2004 CD in to the optical drive, open and hit Uninstall Office.

When completely removed do an Office install, not forgetting to update 2004, from memory there are 9 updates available.

Let's know how you go with that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Everything I have read says that this is an indicator that your Carbon library files are corrupt. Those are the ones that enable C++ programs to resolve correctly if I remember right. Only way I know to restore those files are to reinstall OSX, and uninstalling/reinstalling Office will have no effect as those are not Office files, but OSX files. Apparently it is a well known and widespread problem from what I see on google, and is not just a Leopard problem, but reaches all the way back to OS9, and OSX 10.1. No-one I have read has had any luck with anything other than reinstalling OSX. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.