Mail Applications can't be opened

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Apparently, yes.

OP
Henryv
Reaction score
Apparently, yes.
Oh!!👎
Not Good, or logical?
Happening on both Macbook and iMac would suggest a fault, outside of my control?
Restarting both cures the problem, but shutting down both, causes the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It would seem to be something between Apple and Chrome, which was resolved at the thread I posted as Post #2 by switching to Safari. You really aren't the only person with the issue, as the person in that thread also had it, but there is a "solution" of using Safari. If you don't like Safari for some reason, you could try Brave. It's a pretty good browser, works well and has some good security features. But there does seem to be a problem with Chrome.

OP
Henryv
Reaction score
It would seem to be something between Apple and Chrome, which was resolved at the thread I posted as Post #2 by switching to Safari. You really aren't the only person with the issue, as the person in that thread also had it, but there is a "solution" of using Safari. If you don't like Safari for some reason, you could try Brave. It's a pretty good browser, works well and has some good security features. But there does seem to be a problem with Chrome.
Thanks Jake!👍😇

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
I'm getting the same error. Any URLs in Notes or Slack don't work after "upgrading" to Monterey. Safari works but Apple seems to have broken something with Chrome compatibility. Pretty infuriating.

Reaction score
Safari was built and developed for Mac. The latest version Version 15.3 (16612.4.9.1.7, 16612) has new features. When you buy a new Mac, the only browser built in is Safari. However, I do use Chrome & Brave at times
It also happens in Firefox ... will try rebooting in Safari ! It's only just started after the latest update !! I'm now on 12.2.1

Reaction score
Just dowloaded Monterey 12.2 and I now have the problem on my iMac as well??
Am I the only one getting this error?🥸
Yes, I am also recently getting this very annoying error. I use Firefox. What I don't understand about the correction is what does our browser have to do with getting this message in Mail? Also we had a power outage last night and when the Mac came back on, It had loaded all by its little self macOS Monterey, Version 12.2.1. So I'll turn it off again and see what happens when back on. This is really annoying. Seems like Apple has so many more buggy problems for us to figure out now than in the good old days. )-:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
the mail is there but if I try to open a mail I get:-
"The Application can't be opened -10673".
Just to clarify, when you say "open" a mail do you mean view in a web browser (Google Chrome)? I'm sort of assuming this is the case but maybe not?

If this is the case and you are using Google Chrome as your default system browser and having problems with it then the general opinion seems to be reinstall a new copy of Chrome.
Personally I do not and would not use such a resource hog not to even mention its privacy issues but that's just my opinion.
You will first need to uninstall the Chrome app by dragging it to the Trash from your Application folder. You can then download a fresh current version from Google, log back in and all should be fine
If that doesn't work you may need to use an App uninstaller to remove all the other files Google installs:

Copy and paste these commands to Terminal to remove left overs.

rm -r /Applications/Google\ Chrome.app/
rm -r ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome/
rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/CrashReporter/Google\ Chrome*
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.Chrome*
rm ~/Library/Preferences/Google\ Chrome*
rm -r ~/Library/Caches/com.google.Chrome*
rm -r ~/Library/Saved\ Application\ State/com.google.Chrome.savedState/
rm ~/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/Actives/com.google.Chrome
rm ~/Library/Google/Google\ Chrome*
rm -r ~/Library/Speech/Speakable\ Items/Application\ Speakable\ Items/Google\ Chrome/
rm -r ~/Applications/Chrome\ Apps*
rm ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.google.keystone.agent.plist
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.google.Keystone.Agent.plist
rm ~/Library/Caches/com.google.Keystone*

It's ok if you get "No such file or directory" for each command.

If you are not confident with the Terminal Command Line an App Uninstaller is definitely the way to go. Eg. AppCleaner available free from here: AppCleaner
This will remove both the Chrome app as well as most of the above files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.