Mail Applications can't be opened

Reaction score
When I turn on my Macbook Pro and check my Mac Mail, the mail is there but if I try to open a mail I get:-
"The Application can't be opened -10673".
If I restart my mac, it works just fine??
This happens every day for the last week or two.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you read the thread? It said:
I stand corrected. I went and looked at the system preferences on my 2015 MacBook Pro and the default browser was Chrome.

Not sure how it got to be the default but it was. I changed it to Safari and that corrected the problem.

OP
Henryv
Reaction score
Yes, but I don't understand?
My default has always been Chrome and I have never had any problems.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
My default has always been Chrome and I have never had any problems.

Until now :) .

Why not set Safari as your browser, reboot the Mac and see if that clears the problem. If it does, either stick with Safari or change the default back to Chrome and try again.

It is within the realms of possibility that the "change/reboot/change back" may allow you to stick with Chrome.

Ian

OP
Henryv
Reaction score

Why not set Safari as your browser, reboot the Mac and see if that clears the problem. If it does, either stick with Safari or change the default back to Chrome and try again.

It is within the realms of possibility that the "change/reboot/change back" may allow you to stick with Chrome.

Ian
That seems to have done the trick!

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, something changed, either in Chrome, or in macOS, or both. Did you update either of those recently?

OP
Henryv
Reaction score
So, something changed, either in Chrome, or in macOS, or both. Did you update either of those recently?
Not that I remember.
The odd thing is that if I restart the Macbook, everything works fine, until the next time I shut it down??

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
everything works fine, until the next time I shut it down??

I am not being sarcastic; but for the meantime, don't shut down your Mac.

In fact, my guess is that most of our members here keep their Macs running 24/7 - or simply sleep them.

Until the next OS update (NB update, not Upgrade), or if someone comes up with a real solution, don't shut down your Mac. Makes sense and does no harm.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7

Ian
Safari was built and developed for Mac. The latest version Version 15.3 (16612.4.9.1.7, 16612) has new features. When you buy a new Mac, the only browser built in is Safari. However, I do use Chrome & Brave at times

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
I am not being sarcastic; but for the meantime, don't shut down your Mac.

In fact, my guess is that most of our members here keep their Macs running 24/7 - or simply sleep them.

Until the next OS update (NB update, not Upgrade), or if someone comes up with a real solution, don't shut down your Mac. Makes sense and does no harm.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My 2020 13" MacBook Air Retina and my wife's 13" 2014 MacBook Pro Retina Both on osMAC 11.6.3, plus my ancient but reliable iMac 27" on osMac 10.15.7 are rarely switched off

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
"In fact, my guess is that most of our members here keep their Macs running 24/7 - or simply sleep them."

I live in rural Maine where power outages are the State flower. Midday, at dawn, after dark, whenever. Frequently.

Sometimes an outage starts like something falling back and forth against a tree, meaning lights dim, lights come back on, lights dim again, eventually lights go off.

I have a generator, but it does not start automatically, and not at all late at night.

Is any of that relevant to my Mac desktop with Monterey?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). Small battery with inverter to provide power while waiting for the generator to start up and to "float" across the brownouts. You can search for them online. Amazon has a lot of them. I, too, have a generator that comes on after 10 seconds outage. The UPS gets my electronics through that 10 second wait time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you.
Before I purchase one of those, what is the downside to turning the Mac OFF every evening and ON again the next morning (or in some cases, several mornings later)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ON and OFF are the two hardest events for electronic devices. Plus, with modern operating systems that dynamically power down screens and quieten the system when idle, a lot of us just decided it isn't needed any more. I doubt any REAL harm is done by on/off cycles, but it's just not needed for any reason.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Henryv
Reaction score
Just dowloaded Monterey 12.2 and I now have the problem on my iMac as well??
Am I the only one getting this error?🥸

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.