MacBook vs. MacBook Pro - pros & cons?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I found this which compares the reliability of MB vs. MBP.

Reaction score
For anything short of video editing and serious gameplay, a MacBook with maxed out RAM will probably be sufficient. Buy the Mini-DVI to DVI connector ($20 from Apple) and you can connect to a larger screen as you deem neccesary. :)

I totally agree. I maxed out my 2.0ghz CD macbook to 2 gig, and it flies. I couldn't justify paying $800 more for the MBP, and the only difference aside from the firewire 800 conections etc..was the x1600 video card. Since I only did photoshop, I didn't feel the need to spend the extra. The screen for me is perfect, and the 4hrs of battery life is great!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 2.0GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
I totally agree. I maxed out my 2.0ghz CD macbook to 2 gig, and it flies. I couldn't justify paying $800 more for the MBP, and the only difference aside from the firewire 800 conections etc..was the x1600 video card. Since I only did photoshop, I didn't feel the need to spend the extra. The screen for me is perfect, and the 4hrs of battery life is great!!

I have the exact same set up, works great for me. :) I only do occasional audio/photo editing, so the video card isn't a big deal. It seems like it really comes down to if you are a serious 3D editor user or Mac gamer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
* different keyboard ... some people prefer MB's keyboard, others the MBP's

It seems to be SUCH an individualized preference and may depend on how much typing one does and at what speed! People really need to try each machine out to get the right feel for themselves.

I did notice that the MBP had a more traditional looking keyboard, and the MB had a sort of "raised keys" keyboard. But I have no idea which would be better/easier to type on. Anyone do any comparisons in this regard?

I've been comparing for a little while. I liked the look of the MBP keyboard better, but it feels more spread out and when I typed the same paragraphs on each machine at my usual wpm I made fewer mistakes on the MB! Perhaps because of my small fingers? :flower:

The MacBook Pro has a better keyboard. I hear it has better speakers, too, but I haven't tried them myself.

Pun? "you HEAR it has better speakers" lol

That has been another concern of mine, the MBP's speakers being on top, at either side of the keyboard, while the MB is in the rear. The MBP has a more 'focused' sound, but, since the MB is plenty louder than what I currently use (ThinkPad), it could be enough for me.

Reaction score
IMO, the MBP has a better keyboard and a better typing experience but the left palm rest gets a bit warm which can be distracting.

The MBP has a metal case. I've 'sparked' a few times touching it.

The MB and the 15" MBP weigh pretty much the same so the MB 'feels' heavier. I get the 'oh, that's heavier than it looks' feeling whenever picking up the MB. The MPB 'feels' right.

And, of course, the MB doesn't have a ExpressCard/34 slot, or a firewire 800 port.

All in all, for me the MB is prettier and cooler to use, but for serious work I prefer the MBP. Just my opinion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.