MacBook vs. MacBook Pro - pros & cons?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Gotcha. That's pretty much what I figured, but it never hurts to ask. Thanks.

My prediction is that they'll come out with a new model 15 days after I buy my first Mac! :)

That is exactly what happened when I bought my Imac a few years back.. 3 months later they had something bigger and better for less money.. oh well, thats just how it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Thanks. Oh, and thanks for pounding down my reputation points to a negative level. Very mature!

I left you "A" negative rep.. and I left my name on it!!!

You'll be able to see the time stamps, the system won't allow you to Rep (neg or Pos) to anyone too often... So my guess is that others left you neg. rep as well.

I just felt it appropriate to leave MY NAME with the neg rep... Others may not have felt leaving their name was necessary.. but I sure did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I've been trying to decide which new laptop I want. I'll be doing Photoshop/Maya/Flash/Final Cut work on it.. but the MBP is waaaay out of my price range. I know it'd better suit my needs, but I need a new laptop without spending a boat-load of cash.

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been trying to decide which new laptop I want. I'll be doing Photoshop/Maya/Flash/Final Cut work on it.. but the MBP is waaaay out of my price range. I know it'd better suit my needs, but I need a new laptop without spending a boat-load of cash.

What do you guys think?

please define "new laptop". Do you want a MB/MBP? or have you looked into a PB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
please define "new laptop". Do you want a MB/MBP? or have you looked into a PB?

MB or MBP.. I currently have a Ti Powerbook. I'm probably going to get CS3 on teh 27th, as that's my birthday, and my gf loves me :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB or MBP.. I currently have a Ti Powerbook. I'm probably going to get CS3 on teh 27th, as that's my birthday, and my gf loves me :D

Have you thought about getting a 1.67ghz 15" PB? or are you set on a intel machine? My opinion the 1.67ghz would be a great upgrade to what you have and it might be more in your budget.. it should also run the programs you use pretty quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Perfect. Caribiner, do you find the size of the screen to be okay for Photoshop? (ever think it's too small??) And how much RAM is needed to run Photoshop comfortably?

My MacBook is loaded with 2 GB of memory, and as pointed out here, Photoshop is a bit slower due to the fact that the application isn't Intel-native, but it's still usable.

The screen size can be annoying, but when I want to do some serious Photoshopping and I need the extra real estate, I connect the MacBook to my 19" LCD monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Well, I've decided that if I'm going to buy a new Mac, it's going to be Intel-based. I figured, if I buy an Intel Mac, it'll last me for years to come. Now, I'm not saying the 1.67ghz won't, but they aren't cheap, and I can get a brand new MB for cheaper than the 1.67.

I just don't want to shell out $3000 for a new laptop. If I have to, I'll keep my windows system for all the rendering I'll be doing, plus the school I'm going to has Dual G5 PowerMac desktops for Final Cut/rendering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
I'm using a macbook and I like the raised keys. I seem to be able to type better on them. I've never thought as to why until the raised keys were mentioned. As for the screen size... I do wish for the 15" screen...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
To me there is no comaprison really, they are meant for 2 diff markets / needs.

macbook - light / long battery / compact
macbook pro - heavier - less battery / more a desktop replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
To me there is no comaprison really, they are meant for 2 diff markets / needs.

macbook - light / long battery / compact
macbook pro - heavier - less battery / more a desktop replacement.

Very good point Mathiau!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
I looked at both the MB and the MBP. Dealbreakers for me with the MB were the screen size and the keyboard. The feel of the keyboard was a huge factor for me in deciding on a new notebook - the MBP was the only one that felt like a true fit. I type fast, and if I'm not comfortable then it just doesn't flow. I also was going from a 13.3" screen that I felt was too small. The MBP 15.4 is nice - next time I may go for a 17", but I am happy with my decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
For anything short of video editing and serious gameplay, a MacBook with maxed out RAM will probably be sufficient. Buy the Mini-DVI to DVI connector ($20 from Apple) and you can connect to a larger screen as you deem neccesary. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The MacBook Pro has a better keyboard. I hear it has better speakers, too, but I haven't tried them myself.

The MacBook has a better latch. No hook to break. (My hook latches always broke.)

Actually, I wish it were a tad lighter. 5.2 lbs. for a 13" compact laptop is not really that light. (for example, Sony's SZ premium series is only 3.7 lbs.)

There's a sizable group of 12" PowerBook owners who are patiently waiting for Apple to come up with a[size=-4](nother)[/size] notebook that weighs less than 5 lbs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I'd rock a 12" MBP if they made one. Processing horsepower + small package... brilliant!

Reaction score
aside from the point a little but i was curious if the macbook was capable of dual displays?

im guessing it is because of the adapters

but i havent found out for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
aside from the point a little but i was curious if the macbook was capable of dual displays?

im guessing it is because of the adapters

but i havent found out for sure.

Yep, with a Mini-DVI to VGA (or possibly DVI if that's what the external monitor uses) adapter a Macbook will span displays quite nicely each at its native resolution. You can easily position (virtually) the displays to however your dual monitor configuration might be.

Reaction score
thanks a lot, i love running dual screens on my hp laptop, only downside is looking at that ghetto windows os.

im considering getting a macbook this summer but then again i would really like to get a 24" imac because of the beautiful screen and the extra workpower because im into heavy duty video editing and will eventually save up for final cut studio

so what im drooling over right now is to go for the imac and then talk parentals into getting me a macbook next year when i grad from hs

just thought id share my plan since ive told my mom about 200 times

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.