Macbook Air not recognizing guitar amp input

philQT

Reaction score
Hi, I wasn't able to find an anwer to this question, so bear with me if I have overlooked it.

I am trying to connect a guitar amp to my Macbook Air. I have tried two options:
1) connect the headphones output on the amp directly to the headphones port on the Macbook
2) connect the headphones output on the amp via an audio-USB-adapter to the USB input on the Macbook

But in neither case is the external input source being recognized. Curiously, when I try option 2), the external amp briefly shows up in the Sound Input list, but then disappears and shows up in the Sound Output list instead.

To avoid confusion:
I DO NOT want to directly connect the guitar to the Macbook and then use GarageBand as an amp etc.
Instead, I want the Macbook to recognize the amp like a simple audio line-in source

Is this possible?
My Mabook Air is 11-inch Mid 2013 running macOS 10.12.6
(... or would I need a newer Macbook for this?)

Thanks for helping!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
A 2013 mb air should be fine, what is the audio/usb device? That seems a better route. Not sure that plugging in an audio line in to the headphone port would work, that jack is a funky apple one that functions as a mic in/audio out with a TRRS plug I think.

OP
P

philQT

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I figured. The line-in seems to only work if the source is a mic, but not otherwise. Bummer!
In my case the audio source is a guitar amp, which I connect to the headphone port on the macbook with a 3.5mm aux cable.
I have also tried to connect the amp to the mac's USB port via a 3.5mm/USB adapter.

Would it work with an external soundcard?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you post a picture of the cable that you're using? I have a suspicion about what is happening but I need to see both ends of the cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes we still don't know anything about the audio/usb thing. It has to have an audio card of some sort to convert audio to digital/usb to work. And be line in not mic. Though many devices have a switch to select either.

OP
P

philQT

Reaction score
Can you post a picture of the cable that you're using? I have a suspicion about what is happening but I need to see both ends of the cable.

sure. For option 1, I connected the amp headphone port to the macbook headphone port using a regular 3.5 mm aux cable.
For option 2, I connected amp headphone port to macbook USB port using the same 3.5mm aux cable with a aux/USB adapter. See below. Does that make sense?

Attachments

• option 1.jpg
    option 1.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 6
  • option 2.jpg
    option 2.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 6
OP
P

philQT

Reaction score
yes we still don't know anything about the audio/usb thing. It has to have an audio card of some sort to convert audio to digital/usb to work. And be line in not mic. Though many devices have a switch to select either.
You mean I need something like an external sound card? Can you recommend any that would work for my purpose?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Huh. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an audio 3.5 jack direct to usb before. Is there no audio interfacing in between? Otherwise I’m not sure how that would work? Maybe this is something new I’ve never seen before?

admittedly I only know audio interfaces. Which would work but maybe more than you’d want to invest in I’m not sure. Low end is, say the presonus 1 or 2 input usb devices, I have the audiobox usb 96 I use for zoom teaching, I think they range from 80 bucks for one input to 130 for 2inputs. Very useful for all sorts of audio stuff you’ll need. (of course the super high end racks I have are the universal audio stuff which is ncredible but likely way more than you need.)
The presonus stuff comes with studio one artist which is a really good daw btw

there may be simpler line in audio to usb interfaces that are cheaper but I can’t recommend because I haven’t used those, maybe someone else here has.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks the pics help out a lot.

If member Groovetube is right about the kind of input jack on that Mac, and I think he is, you have the wrong cable.If you look carefully at your cable the gold tip is divided into three sections. That kind of connector works for audio output but doesn't activate the mic connection.

Looking at your setup you might be able to use a four pole TRRS connector. Notice that the connector is divided into one additional section. depending upon the device you're connecting to this might work.

What connects to the other end of your cables?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The line-in seems to only work if the source is a mic, but not otherwise. Bummer!

Sorry, but I am really way out of my knowledge base here but just thought I would add a comment that has been nagging my brain regarding your questions and problem...

But isn't this sort of set-up something that Audio MIDI Setup can do or I or am I completely out to lunch here, assuming that Apple still includes it in their recent Mac OS versions:

Here's what my Help says about it:

About Audio MIDI Setup

Audio MIDI Setup lets you set up audio and MIDI devices connected to your Mac, select audio channel input and output devices, configure output speakers, set clock rates, and control audio levels.

Audio MIDI Setup works with many types of audio and MIDI interface devices, including the built-in audio and digital multichannel audio devices on your Mac. It works with audio and MIDI interface devices connected to your Mac using FireWire, USB, Bluetooth, PCMCIA, and PCI.

Sorry for the delay in posting, it seems I forgot to click the Post reply button earlier.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, none of this will help unless you have the right connectivity.

If you use the audio jack, in order to access the mic/line in you have to use the TRRS cable correctly. It is setup to accept the apple headset with buds/mic with this type of connector. (I got one from amazon) and finding info on this is strangely scant on the net. Apple is strangely silent on how to split this jack properly, and if you look at all the TRRS to mic/headphone splitter cables, you'll notice none of them cite compatibility with apple notebooks. Unless someone else here has good info on this specifically tread carefully here. Mine doesnt work very well.

Once you have a proper connection, yes, you would then use the sound pref to select the input and set the level (because it's line Id back off the level)

There are a number of decent USB/soundcard type dongles to be found. Cheaper breakout boxes.

If you're going to do music and maybe do this quite a bit down the road, something pretty compatible (and very useful in general) like the presonus unit is very good. (if you get a 1 input model ensure you can use a cable that would -properly- sum a stereo headphone output to a mono in)

I use high end UA racks for recording, but I bought this audio interface to use for general quick and easy audio interface needs (like zoom teaching connecting my record player in etc etc) because it was cheap super compatible super easy to use and came with really great software. (many audio pros will swear by studio one as a daw). Bonus it also has two fairly decent mic preamps should you want that. Very capable for a hundred bucks...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple is strangely silent on how to split this jack properly, and if you look at all the TRRS to mic/headphone splitter cables, you'll notice none of them cite compatibility with apple notebooks. Unless someone else here has good info on this specifically tread carefully here. Mine doesnt work very well.

Once you have a proper connection, yes, you would then use the sound pref to select the input and set the level (because it's line Id back off the level)

There are a number of decent USB/soundcard type dongles to be found. Cheaper breakout boxes.
Is this the kind of splitter you're shooting for? I have one attached to my iMac and it seems to split things properly. That model is unavailable on Amazon at the moment but there are others. Notice that the male end is a four pole connector. Everything I've read says this is a necessity for those combined jacks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08D3PP1B9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I think to go further we need to know what else is connected in this chain of events. If there were, for example, an actual amp that needed to be connected.

BTW, I almost bought that audio interface. I bought one of the Focusrite models in the same price range. I don't remember why though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah mine is similar, but it's dodgy I think. Maybe these or others may work better. Im just surprised that you dont see apple ones as Ive seen quite a few people ask how to send line in to a MacBook (*) and don't know about the TRRS thing. The other ting to keep in mind is I think the mic/line side, is likely mono, not stereo. That will trip people up as well, unless you stick the TRS into the mono jack and magically the rings line up and sums itself. But ideally, a proper TRS to summed mono is what's needed.

Nothing wrong with the focusrite. They’re mostly similar at that price point. The software package often is the thing to look for.

Audio, is a real hoot.

Last edited:
OP
P

philQT

Reaction score
Thanks for the many replies, in particular regarding the TRRS.
See below for a shot of my setup: The guitar amp headphone output connects to the headphone port on the mac.
This setup works seamlessly if I switch the macbook with a PC using the line-in port. That's why I was hoping something this easy should would work on a mac as well...

Do you think switching the aux cable with a TRRS should do the job ?

Thanks again!

setup.jpg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks your last post was really helpful. I know understand where the connection is coming from on the amp and I also know that on the PC side a line in connection is used to collect the sound instead of a mic in. That can make a difference since the line in signal carries a different voltage from that put out by a mic connection.

The TRRS cable that I linked to might work but I'm not sure. Given that you connect to line in on a PC that seems to be the signal being output and the Mac is expecting mic input. If you try it and it doesn't work that doesn't usually do any damage.

The best bet might be to find a sound card/device that has a line in connection in addition to the headset and mic connection. There are some on Amazon. I've seen some for less than $25.00. The problem is that some of these devices use software to switch among the inputs and outputs. There surely must be one that works with the Mac. I used to use an iMic from Griffin Technologies but I don't think it is being made anymore. I'll keep looking.

On a side note I became very familiar with the whole mic/line in setup on a previous Mac. I had several mics with the 3.5 mm connection and didn't know which ones were good. My thought was to test them by firing up some recording software, connecting a mic, and see which mics produced viable recordings. Two hours and five or six mics later they can't all be bad. Turns out, the connection on that Mac was line in only and those mics didn't generate enough voltage.

Now where did I put that dunce cap?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the many replies, in particular regarding the TRRS.
See below for a shot of my setup: The guitar amp headphone output connects to the headphone port on the mac.
This setup works seamlessly if I switch the macbook with a PC using the line-in port. That's why I was hoping something this easy should would work on a mac as well...

Do you think switching the aux cable with a TRRS should do the job ?

Thanks again!

View attachment 36560
hold on here.... Is that a USB port on your amp and isn't that to connect to a computer usb direct into a daw??

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good catch, Groove. I meant to ask what make and model of amp was involved. If we cn use a USB pathway that might be better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks your last post was really helpful. I know understand where the connection is coming from on the amp and I also know that on the PC side a line in connection is used to collect the sound instead of a mic in. That can make a difference since the line in signal carries a different voltage from that put out by a mic connection.

The TRRS cable that I linked to might work but I'm not sure. Given that you connect to line in on a PC that seems to be the signal being output and the Mac is expecting mic input. If you try it and it doesn't work that doesn't usually do any damage.

The best bet might be to find a sound card/device that has a line in connection in addition to the headset and mic connection. There are some on Amazon. I've seen some for less than $25.00. The problem is that some of these devices use software to switch among the inputs and outputs. There surely must be one that works with the Mac. I used to use an iMic from Griffin Technologies but I don't think it is being made anymore. I'll keep looking.

On a side note I became very familiar with the whole mic/line in setup on a previous Mac. I had several mics with the 3.5 mm connection and didn't know which ones were good. My thought was to test them by firing up some recording software, connecting a mic, and see which mics produced viable recordings. Two hours and five or six mics later they can't all be bad. Turns out, the connection on that Mac was line in only and those mics didn't generate enough voltage.

Now where did I put that dunce cap?
audio has a huge list of gotchas, and I do find it can be rough googling this stuff because often the google info is quite lacking.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
audio has a huge list of gotchas, and I do find it can be rough googling this stuff because often the google info is quite lacking.
You sir, have a remarkable capacity for understatement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As much as I know, and the 40+ years in this biz, I have many days I have brained myself sorting out an audio connection of some sort. Often, raging 'whyyyyyyy.... do they not just make this **** thingy...'

And that's why I have a really good soldering iron.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.