Mac stability myth

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I won't add much but this one thing. I have brought many Unix and Linux systems to the ground doing wrong commands in the terminal. Totally locked and only way I could ever do a thing was reboot. This was on very stable PC hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Windows introduced its registry for storing interface data for Com Automation/ActiveX ; a very useful advanced and innovative technology that OS X doesn't do. This is one area where we are literally comparing Apples to some other kind of fruit.

Can a technology introduced with Windows 3.1 be all that advanced????

OP
H
Reaction score
I think you'll find the infamous registry first appeared with Windows 95. Also, ActiveX quickly developed into a major security concern.

All of that is of no concern to Mac desktop users.

--- CHAS

Reaction score
I've been reading through your and the others comments.

Way back around post #26 I outlined myself as a user who likes to explore. I'm an administrator because I'm the only user and I don't like my computer insisting I don't have permissions to do something while exploring. So I have hung the entire system making syntax errors entering commands into the terminal while trying examples from an OS X book I bought or often from a basic misunderstanding of what something is supposed to do.

It would be much more helpful if you could give an example. Specific situations could be addressed. People are happy to help.

Granted most users don't do that kind of thing but I'll contend it is a stability problem for not having trapped an error propagating through the system. UNIX is supposed to do those kinds of things well. I have also seen a numerous random total lockups with only the Finder Window running while I'm doing nothing more exotic but clicking or dragging.

I think you might be expecting too much from any OS. If you enter a perfectly valid command that can damage your system, how is the OS supposed to know what you intend to do? It's no different than someone accidentally formatting the wrong hard drive in windows.

Clicking and dragging in the Finder is only likely to cause problems if you are moving key components of the OS around. Again, move or rename the system32 directory in windows and see what happens.

Maybe an application install has broken something. I have installed iWork, FireFox, a navigation program called GPS NavX and a USB driver for its GPS receiver. I have experimented with a Parallels virtual machine running Windows 2000 for some legacy Windows apps. I saw a couple of 'kernel panics' before I got that running. Did that break something?

None of the applications you listed are likely problems. I have used iWork, Firefox, and Parallels with no problems.

I have no problem with the OS X Graphical Interface. I'm still learning my way around it and I agree its somewhat more logically organized out of the box than the other major OS. It's also very 'pretty'. The machine set itself up remarkably well out of the box but I found myself in a situation that isn't very intuitive networking with my Windows machines; OK I got it working with some help from the Web after a crash or two in the process.

I have found the networking setup to be easier than the Windows machines that I use.

I don't believe I inadvertently installed malware, but again I don't know what's normal in the list of running processes.

As an aside, I'll comment briefly on that messy Windows registry:

Windows introduced its registry for storing interface data for Com Automation/ActiveX ; a very useful advanced and innovative technology that OS X doesn't do. This is one area where we are literally comparing Apples to some other kind of fruit.

That would have been fine if the registry were limited to the support for accessing com automation/ActiveX components. Instead, it became the replacement for all ini files. and many other configuration options for the OS, HW, SW, user preferences, etc.

It is overly complicated and prone to problems.

I guess with computers and all things technical, individual results tend to vary with individual expectations.

--- CHAS

Agreed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Can a technology introduced with Windows 3.1 be all that advanced????

The registry wasn't introduced with Windows 3.1. It was introduced with Windows 95.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Sure, because 3.1 was really only an overlay to DOS running in protected mode if I remember. The bigger problem with windows these days is the bloat and confusion created by almost 20 years of API's that are still supported.. even though they could have done away with a huge number with Vista, they chose not to. Glad I don't have to develop for it actually.

OP
H
Reaction score
Sure, because 3.1 was really only an overlay to DOS running in protected mode if I remember. The bigger problem with windows these days is the bloat and confusion created by almost 20 years of API's that are still supported.. even though they could have done away with a huge number with Vista, they chose not to. Glad I don't have to develop for it actually.

I am under the impression that the OS X GUI is a shell that operates as an overlay on Berkley UNIX. There might be other Shells that you can run on a Mac like X Windows. I'm not about to try it but I think you can actually boot to a command line without running the OS X GUI.

Kinda like Windows 3 works but much more advanced because DOS isn't a multitasking OP system.

--- CHAS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can, it's single user mode. The difference is that the modern OS's, including windows 95 (DOS7) etc the gui isn't a simple afterthought

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The registry wasn't introduced with Windows 3.1. It was introduced with Windows 95.

Incorrect. It was referred to as "registry services", but the registry was indeed introduced with Windows 3.x. It wasn't nearly as comprehensive or sprawling as it is today, but that is indeed where one of the worst decisions in systems architecture ever was made.

Links:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/classic-tech/?p=129
http://toastytech.com/guis/win31.html
http://www.gaby.de/win3x/etips.htm
http://wiki.oldos.org/Windows/Win31

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia
My two macs have been a pain up the b....t and a lot more than pcs I have owned.

Things just dont seem to work as reliably. In two weeks I have had to do a reinstall on my mbp and a recovery from time machine for my imac and time machine is nothing but a disaster.

Of course mac are more reliable as only a handfull of people use them so the problems are fewer compared to the milions and millions of PC's.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My two macs have been a pain up the b....t and a lot more than pcs I have owned.

Things just dont seem to work as reliably. In two weeks I have had to do a reinstall on my mbp and a recovery from time machine for my imac and time machine is nothing but a disaster.

Of course mac are more reliable as only a handfull of people use them so the problems are fewer compared to the milions and millions of PC's.

Uh huh... that also explains why Fords are so much less reliable than Hondas. Great logic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
In two weeks I have had to do a reinstall on my mbp and a recovery from time machine for my imac and time machine is nothing but a disaster.

Can you elaborate on this?

By the sounds of it your MBP lost absolutely everything and you had to start from scratch and some files completely vanished on your iMac forcing you to retrieve them with Time Machine?

Either one would be very unusual, but both at the same time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Incorrect. It was referred to as "registry services", but the registry was indeed introduced with Windows 3.x. It wasn't nearly as comprehensive or sprawling as it is today, but that is indeed where one of the worst decisions in systems architecture ever was made.

Huh. That's darned interesting. I specifically recall how "introducing" the registry with Windows 95 was the magic bullet to getting away from ini and bat files for managing things... having the data in a binary formatted file was supposed to be oh so much more effective and faster than plain text ini files. *shrug* Anywho... thanx for the links.... and setting me straight. ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Huh. That's darned interesting. I specifically recall how "introducing" the registry with Windows 95 was the magic bullet to getting away from ini and bat files for managing things... having the data in a binary formatted file was supposed to be oh so much more effective and faster than plain text ini files. *shrug* Anywho... thanx for the links.... and setting me straight. ;)

Not to get too OT, but I think the registry was extremely limited in 3.x, it wasn't until 95 that they really started using it to replace application-specific ini files - I think it was limited to OS settings, etc. At least that's how I remember it (but who knows, I just graduated from High School when '95 came out and was a card-carrying Amiga maniac back then :) )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
...but businesses and government (at this time) is still windows based...

The Government, particularly the military, uses Windows for basic computer use and some Command and Control functions, yes. For anything having to do with advanced Command and Control, combat Systems or Weapons systems, it's almost all Unix or Linux running a custom GUI.

T

tux08902

How could anyone call the Registry a useful feature? The Registry is one of the stupidest things that an operating system could have. It makes portability and other things a pain because certain files are tied to the computer they were originally put on. Gconf implements a registry on Linux, and there is a reason why only a handful of non-Gnome programs use it. It's just unnecessary.

Also, ActiveX is truly pointless. It's one of the biggest security holes in Windows, and calling a useful feature is kind of noobish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well, I have to admit it was a pretty cool idea. I'm not sure it's actually worked out as designed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5ghz, 4 gig Ram, 250 hard drive, 512 nvidia
Actually I think Fords are more reliable these days.

OP
H
Reaction score
And let's not forget that huge installed base of Microsoft centric computing resources in the business world. They use these 'features' that we, as desktop individual users, can say are stupid, troublesome and unnecessary.

I'll contend Windows (and probably OS X) are too much operating system for the vast majority of home users. For the heck of it, I burned a bootable Ubuntu disk. It runs just fine on my Thinkpad X60s providing essential OP system services, a functional GUI, FireFox, Email and a few simple utilities all without installation from a 700 megabyte CD. It's free. No, I'm not changing over to Linix.

--- CHAS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
a huge installed base is really a horrible argument. There's also a huge base of supposed IT professionals to take care of these systems.

Now, users are 'stupid'. Course, I've never had a significant problem I couldn't resolve with my mac, or any windows box, or any linux box. But the thought of my mom running linux would scare the snot out of me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.