• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac-Forums' Bar & Grill II

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Derek:

Glad to see you haven't forgotten us. Yeah, some of us are still around. Nick and I and a few others that you may remember. Anyway, glad you didn't forget us and remembered your password.

Don't be a stranger.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@ADMINS

OT,
and a curious question about the list and the page behaviour on some forums, but occasionally a page will show with the indicator that there is a page following, see above or the note in the attachment.

But in some cases as this one, when I click the "86", no new page shows and I end up right where I started.

I don't know if I am correct or not, but I am assuming that somebody posted something on the following page ("86), but then they or some Mod erased the post before I got to it, so there is nothing left to view. Is that about the gist of what is going on???

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 8.57.08 AM.png

PS: That "following page number" sure could use some more contrast or a different highlight color. It barely shows up the way it is, at least on my display. No, not a Retina display.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Patrick, I know you asked the Admins, but the highlighted number is the page you are ON at the moment, so clicking on the highlighted number will always take you to that same page. In this case, you are on 86, so clicking 86 will keep you right there. If you were on 85, that would be highlighted, 86 would not be, plus there would be a "next" option for you. So it's working as designed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, I know you asked the Admins, but the highlighted number is the page you are ON at the moment,

Thanks for the info and the correction Jake. I'll have to pay more attention.

But I am sure I have come across some pages that I am reading where the page number is normal and no highlight, but the next page number to the right of it is highlighted and available if I click on it. I guess I was thinking that that was the normal case, but I guess I am mistaken.

Regardless... Problem solved thanks. :)

- Patrick
=======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Picked up one of the new M1 MacBook Airs as a living room/portable computer (You don't realize how chunky the mid-2012 MBP is until you get your hands on a newer Mac) Also got a 2,1 Mac Pro and a FW800 MDD PowerMac G4 today for $50, so that was nice.

Anywho, not sure who of the old crew is still around but I hope everyone's doing well!

Hey there Derek...great to see ya!:)

I ALMOST...bought a new M1 Mac-Mini recently...but decided to wait a bit longer before purchasing one of the new "Apple Silicon" Mac's...and ended up with a more recent model Intel Mac.

Please let us know what you think of the new M1 MacBook Air (battery life, speed, performance, etc).:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)

But I am sure I have come across some pages that I am reading where the page number is normal and no highlight, but the next page number to the right of it is highlighted and available if I click on it. I guess I was thinking that that was the normal case, but I guess I am mistaken.

Regardless... Problem solved thanks. :)

- Patrick
=======
What you describe *can* happen if a post triggers a new page and then an admin deletes the post for any reason, but I've only experienced that once or twice since I've been coming here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

LOL, I could make some comments about that statement except that it probably also refers to me. Just ask my wife!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you describe *can* happen if a post triggers a new page and then an admin deletes the post for any reason, but I've only experienced that once or twice since I've been coming here.

Thanks, Jake for the confirmation that I wasn't going completely nuts, and that situation certainly seemed to have happened on a recent Joke of the Day Page but all back to near normal now:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, I could make some comments about that statement except that it probably also refers to me. Just ask my wife!

That makes me think of this Statement post from my nephew that arrived in my FB box this morning which I shall include for your enjoyment:

- Patrick
=======
140273249_1041410449675653_7164134867089204706_o.jpg

===========

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Hey there Derek...great to see ya!:)

I ALMOST...bought a new M1 Mac-Mini recently...but decided to wait a bit longer before purchasing one of the new "Apple Silicon" Mac's...and ended up with a more recent model Intel Mac.

Please let us know what you think of the new M1 MacBook Air (battery life, speed, performance, etc).:)

Thanks,

- Nick

It's alarmingly good. Performance wise, it's running circles around my 2017 iMac, that's for sure. I get about 15-16 hours of heavy use before I have to recharge. And it's so thin and light that I basically never take the iPad anywhere (not that I'm going a whole lotta places these days ?). I will say I wish they'd ship 'em with 512GB in the base config, but with iCloud Drive and my servers at home I'm making do alright.

Really nice hearing from you and chscag, definitely glad to see there's still some of the old guard around keeping the place running.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's alarmingly good. Performance wise, it's running circles around my 2017 iMac, that's for sure.

That's what I was seeing folks saying from various reviews of the new M1 computers. And from what I'm reading...in some/many cases...this is with apps that aren't even optimized for the new Apple Silicon (running via Rosetta 2).

I get about 15-16 hours of heavy use before I have to recharge. And it's so thin and light that I basically never take the iPad anywhere (not that I'm going a whole lotta places these days ?).

Wow...that's crazy awesome. Getting that sort of battery runtime from a single charge is super! And that's heavy use...not light use!

I will say I wish they'd ship 'em with 512GB in the base config...

Yeah...Apple still up to the old "upgrade game". An extra $200 for an extra 256GB storage is pricey. And since storage is soldered in & can't be upgraded later by the user...got to pay Apple prices.

My wife on her older MacBook Air with only 128GB internal storage likes to use a super teeny USB drive to increase onboard storage. I think they currently come in up to 128GB ($25-$30). Maybe not the best stable storage...but helps get you over the hump when some extra storage is needed.:)

Like these:

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 12.03.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 12.22.23 PM.png

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
. I will say I wish they'd ship 'em with 512GB in the base config, but with iCloud Drive and my servers at home I'm making do alright.
Glad to know you're still around. Always nice to see a regular return.

When you have some time I'd love to hear how you have your servers set up. I haven't tried that in ages.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I keep eyeing the new Laptops, but every time I talk myself into a replacement I hear about some new feature coming and decide to wait.
Last time I was set to pop for a 16 MBP, but then Apple announced the M1 versions were coming so I decided to wait.
Was getting close to going with an M1 MBA or 16in MBP, and now the MagSafe connector is coming back, so . . .
Good thing my 2012 15in MBP is still running strong. At this rate it’ll be 2030 before I finally replace it. ;)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
At this rate it’ll be 2030 before I finally replace it

No, wait. There's a new solar powered version coming out in 2031 :) ;)

Ian

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, wait. There's a new solar powered version coming out in 2031 :) ;)

Ian
Rumor has it that a 2032 model will read your mind and be powered by positive vibes. Solar power is so 2000. Side benefit no more typos for me. :) :)

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've heard what the 2033 models will be able to do...but since Mac-Forums strives to be a "Disney Friendly" site...can't mention without getting banned!;)

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you have some time I'd love to hear how you have your servers set up. I haven't tried that in ages.

It's not too crazy but it's definitely a little more involved than I initially planned.

Inside the rack I've got a SuperMicro 1U server running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, with 4x10TB Ironwolf drives in RAID10, a UniFi Dream Machine, and a Dell PowerConnect 7048 switch. There are 24 Cat6 drops around the house through a patch panel. The Dream Machine serves up WiFi for the whole house with a UniFi WiFi extender out in the garage. I've also got an additional SuperMicro 2U server running Windows Server 2016 handling data backup (because Backblaze won't let you run their cloud backups on a Linux system).

The iMac is connected hardwired and set to pull up two NFS shares (Media and Files) from the server, and the MacBook Air will connect to the Files share when it connects to the network. I mostly use it for when I download larger files on the MacBook and have Automator set up to append the date of download to the file name and move the file to the server. If the server's not connected, the file gets renamed but not moved. Still trying to work out a "move on reconnect" script so I don't have to do it manually.

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't have a real "server" option anymore, so I went Linux for the host, although I'm sure I could get an external drive box on a Mac Mini, and with how good the M1 systems are, that's seeming like a tempting option for a more power friendly upgrade.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that info. Your setup is beyond my needs but it gives me an idea or two. I'll give this a mother read when I'm a little more awake.

Right now I've got four external drives attached to my 2015 iMac which is my main machine. As I add more of my media files to this arrangement it would be a good idea to do something similar to yours on a smaller scale. Over the years I've used two different devices that should have worked as a basic server and both failed in short order.

My current debate is whether to pick up one of the NAS devices or set up something like Free NAS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My word, quite the winter storm across the US. Hope y'all are keeping warm and safe.

My current debate is whether to pick up one of the NAS devices or set up something like Free NAS.

FreeNAS is a great way to go! If you've got older hardware kicking around that can boot it, it's an easy way to do it. If you want to buy something pre-built, Synology's stuff really can't be beat.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.