• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac-Forums' Bar & Grill II

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
What am I left with? Maemo? Haha. Sorry to disappoint but it's Android. :p

And no, like all people with power, I refuse to give it up. :p

Windows Phone. Much better than an Android phone.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't think I'd ever see the day when Linux was preferred over Windows on a Mac forum. This might be screenshot worthy. ;)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Windows Phone. Much better than an Android phone.

I have a few iPhone friends who say if they ever are forced to switch away from it, they would pick WP7 over Android any day. And I agree.

And I have a friend who works at Microsoft for development of WP7. Totally name-dropping right here!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
And I have a friend who works at Microsoft for development of WP7. Totally name-dropping right here!
Can this name dropping secure us free gear? :p

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a feeling that Android's days are numbered. It's not looking too good for Google and the lawsuit brought by Oracle, not to mention the various Apple suits against their primary hardware partners. Frankly, Van, I'm shocked that you didn't wait for BB10, QNX is an outstanding UNIX-like OS and it seems like RIM may have finally gotten it fully adapted to the mobile phone space with BB10.

Anyway, I hope your Android experience is better than mine was. Then again, it was so much more satisfying to upgrade to an iPhone once I tired of amateur hour....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is shocking to me is many friends (Some with iPhone 4s's) have switched to the new Nokia Lumina 900. I for sure like Windows 7.5 phone better than Android OS but IOS is very nice and so much support and apps. I hear that is the main issue with Windows phone is not enough good apps at this time, but I am sure that will change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is shocking to me is many friends (Some with iPhone 4s's) have switched to the new Nokia Lumina 900. I for sure like Windows 7.5 phone better than Android OS but IOS is very nice and so much support and apps. I hear that is the main issue with Windows phone is not enough good apps at this time, but I am sure that will change.

The design of the Lumina 900 is nice, but hardware wise, it's a mediocre phone.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Some here who I really respect have switched to the Lumina. So the hardware can't be that bad. I know the Numbers are not as high, but they say Windows 7,5 makes up for that. Anandtech even gave it a very good review.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Can this name dropping secure us free gear? :p

I've already exhausted that department. I got a free copy of Windows 7. O:) (Not to brag or anything, but just a little...)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was worth a shot, haha. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Guess what I just found in my Photo archive :D

1897.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
What is shocking to me is many friends (Some with iPhone 4s's) have switched to the new Nokia Lumina 900...

I like the Lumia phones from Nokia (esp the 800 & 900) - I think the Windows 7 interface is a refreshing change, iOS and Android are very similar in the way the user interacts with them (imo).

But from my experience, the battery life on the Lumia 800 (at least) is terrible - even compared to my iPhone 4s which I think is a lot weaker than my iPhone 4 that it replaced (in terms of battery life).

The biggest issue for me though is the apps. This is 2 fold; the app markets for Android and iOS offer so much more choice AND i have already made a considerable investment (term used loosely) in iOS apps, making it difficult to move from my little iOS closed garden...

AND - final point - things on iOS just seem easy to figure out - I don't tend to need advice on how to enhance a picture or turn on cell data, settings and features just seem to be where I expect them to be - it seems closer to the user experience that I am looking for.

Disclosure?? >> I admit that have used iPhones since the first 16GB one came out that so I have had time to find my way around it now, so time-served is a contributing factor with regards to knowing my way around it.... (I do use a BB for work and I have flipped to HTC a couple of times before returning back to my iPhone comfort zone though)

OK, that was a longer reply than I originally intended - if there is still anyone reading - well done, you deserve a celebratory drink.. :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've recently inherited a stamp collection. I collected some when I was a kid but never got into anything serious, although, I may have to now.

My great-grandfather was a serious collector, and I now have his collection. When he died, the collection just went into a box and future stamps were placed in said box. There are 4 "collection" books, plus small boxes of envelopes of stamps. There are soooo many stamps. Lots from other countries, and many are very old, I found a page in one of the books with stamps from the late 1800s.

I've been told that there are a few rare and expensive stamps in the collection. But I've no idea where to start. I'd like to get a few books on old stamps and see what I can make of the collection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
IRC anyone ?? We king to have a few bevies while the WWDC is happening ??
If i don't see anyone in the next 40mins I'm off to bed being 0015hrs here and not good at talking to myself lol
Anyways see ay there or not..
Im officially 40 in exactly 1 hr 57 mins so you can buy me a drink otherwise ;P

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a feeling that Android's days are numbered. It's not looking too good for Google and the lawsuit brought by Oracle, not to mention the various Apple suits against their primary hardware partners. Frankly, Van, I'm shocked that you didn't wait for BB10, QNX is an outstanding UNIX-like OS and it seems like RIM may have finally gotten it fully adapted to the mobile phone space with BB10.
A little late on this one but better late than never I suppose. Normally, I'd agree and be excited about a QNX based phone but I don't want to buy a RIM product right now. I don't think I've heard a good piece of press about RIM in the last few months and it isn't getting any better. Add into the mix a phone that is months away from production and one that will lack any semblance of an application ecosystem (if the PlayBook couldn't do it, the BB10 phones won't). In short, to be metaphorical, there isn't a pole long enough ;).

As for Android's future, I think the Oracle/Google case solved that one (the joys of posting late, haha). I'm not necessarily an Android fan but it works, it's easy and more importantly, it fits my budget. I can't justify a plan for iPhones, the Lumia line or most other smartphones. The only ones I can afford are BlackBerry plans and low-middle range Android phones. Given that I won't be caught alive with a BB, my options were rather limited. Ultimately though, if I had the cash, I'd have gotten the Lumia 900.

The design of the Lumina 900 is nice, but hardware wise, it's a mediocre phone.
True but most reports I read argue that WP7 doesn't need the beefed up hardware. I got a good hands on with the Lumia 900 a few days ago and it was smooth as butter (a little awkward in the hands though).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Rest In Peace Andy Griffith.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow... I just looked out at the thermometer (which is not in the direct sun) and it's reading 110ºF... for those of you more familiar with the centigrade measurement, that's: 43ºC... otherwise known as stinkin' hot for Pennsylvania! :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to Texas Chris! Hope your central air (if you have it) holds up. My unit is almost 20 years old and I keep thinking of the cost to replace it. I've gotten some bids: ($7000 to $9000) That's at least 4 Retina Macs. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, mine is 12 years old and knock on wood, it's holding up like a champ.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.