• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac-Forums' Bar & Grill II

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
yep. at least the rear main seal was solid. ;)

Hey, I didn't take any jabs at your import soccer mom wagon.

Oh, just did there. ;)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
nah, it's my family sized, detuned WRX.

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nah, it's my family sized, detuned WRX.

:D

My pickup is family sized. Just gotta drive slow so they don't go falling out of the bed.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Anyone else ever find that you can't do any kind of DIY project without making 10 trips to the Home Depot?

My wife and I got tired of the dark green vanity top in one of our bathrooms. I bought another and set out to replace it. That was trip #1.

Got home and realized that the new countertop was predrilled with an 8" offset. The old faucet was 4". So, had to go on trip #2 for a new faucet.

Pulled the old countertop out and wound up making a mess of the walls surrounding it (caulk tends to pull at the drywall paper/paint). Went for my trusty bucket of spackle, and much to my surprise, it was hard as a rock. That was trip #3.

Dry-fitted the new countertop to the vanity and discovered that whomever built my house had no idea that the vanity needs to be offset from the wall when mounted in a corner. As such, the new countertop didn't rest properly on the vanity. Since the new countertop only has about an inch-wide base around the bottom of it, I needed some kind of shim to widen the base on which it will rest. That was trip #4.

So, now that shim is being siliconed to the bottom of the countertop. After I get done repairing the walls, I will once again dry-fit it (have to wait for the spackle to dry). Meanwhile, I'm reading the installation instructions for the faucet. Come to find out, I will need some way to interface the supply lines with the faucet. Why Kohler wouldn't provide an adapter with the kit, is anyone's guess. I suppose I'll be making another trip. That will be #5... and hopefully the last.

Cross your fingers for me :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To build on that, it's amazing how many times I'll be in a store and know I have to get something only to forget what it is. As soon as I get home, I remember. It always seems to happen just as I step in the door too.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, after much trial and error, the counter top is now in. What an ordeal.

Repairing the damaged wall went well, it's sanded and smooth. Installing the faucet was a cake walk too. Siliconed the counter top in place and the fit was darned-near perfect (aside from a bit of a gap on the wall here and there, but no house has perfectly flat drywall anyway).

Then I got to the drain.... what a mess. The 1 1/2" sewer pipe protruded from the wall so far that it was practically touching the tail pipe from the drain. I have no clue how the old sink fit there given the circumstances (it must have been set farther back from the wall). I ended up having to cut the pipe three times with a reciprocating saw just doing test fits. Then yet ANOTHER trip to Home Depot for PVC cement (my old can was practically solid) and a fitting to go to the P-trap.

I started right after dinner (about 6:45) and am just now sitting down for the first time (10:25). But hey, I have a nifty new counter top and I look forward to being able to shave and brush my teeth in my own bathroom tomorrow :D

Now I guess tomorrow night I'm going to caulk and finally finish up the paint touch-up over the weekend (fingers crossed that I have usable paint somewhere!).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And my wife always wanted to know why I didn't want to do that stuff after I got home from doing it at work all day long.

You're on the down side now though.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And my wife always wanted to know why I didn't want to do that stuff after I got home from doing it at work all day long.

You're on the down side now though.

I don't mind doing DIY stuff - in fact, I usually enjoy it. But every once in awhile, you run into the odd project that you think will take 2 hours and it turns into 2 days :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I do a little more of it now that I have an office job instead of working in the field. They can certainly be very satisfying once accomplished.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I am DIY'ing the planting beds in front of my house. My ex wife always did this, so it is a challenge to do it myself - it is a learning experience to put it mildly! One of them (the biggest of the two) is now weeded, turned over, mulched and ready for planting. On to the next one!

Happily, my new girlfriend is an accomplished gardener, so I am getting lots of good and very helpful advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm excited. I'm going to see 22.86 Centimeter Fasteners.

Definitely going to be an awesome show.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Okay, so I searched "22.86 Centimeter Fasteners" in Google because I haven't a clue what that is and this thread was the first result. Then, there were a bunch of results for wall mounts. Somehow I don't think you're excited to go look at wall mounts (if so, you need a better hobby). Dare I ask what that is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, so I searched "22.86 Centimeter Fasteners" in Google because I haven't a clue what that is and this thread was the first result. Then, there were a bunch of results for wall mounts. Somehow I don't think you're excited to go look at wall mounts (if so, you need a better hobby). Dare I ask what that is?

22.86 Centimeters = 9 inches.

Hopefully that helps.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
van, you're even farther behind than the old codger here

nine inch nails - it's a band - at least I think it is

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yessir. Nine Inch Nails is in town on the 31st, and I'm totally going.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
saw Trent with the Jim Rose Circus and the Melvins (they were brilliant) at the target center in minneapolis in about 94 or 95, it was a great show. Trent berated the audience for not treating the Melvins as gods. i thoroughly agreed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.