Junk mail problems

Reaction score
Thanks, Patrick. I've just decided I'm not going to fiddle with it anymore.

To answer your other inquiry, I also have trouble posting to this forum. Sometimes I have trouble even loading this forum unless I use a VPN or Proxy. Other times, it loads right up. It doesn't seem to matter what browser I use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
To answer your other inquiry, I also have trouble posting to this forum.
I'm sorry you also have some troubles posting to the forums, but at least I have company but I'm not alone.

The other thing I have noticed is that various Mac OS Dictation Methods do not work correctly when dictating text on this site. Google's Voice in voice extension stopped working completely a few weeks ago, and MacOS' Dictation seems to be having troubles also, both off which used to work fairly well about a month or so ago.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Well, to go completely off topic….

Yesterday I went on a 78K (48 mile) bicycle ride. I had three flat tires. I only carry one spare inner tube.

With the second flat I limped my way to a service station that advertised tire repair. But, as expected, they had no idea what to do with a Presta valve.

What's Murphy's Law again?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I feel your pain my friend.

My wheelchair uses the same types of inner tube commonly used in bicycles although local stores don't always have the right size. One day I ran over something sharp and cut one of the tires. The staple, like those commonly used in offices, went through to the tube. I removed the staple because I kept scratching my hand on it. Of course that caused the remainder of the air to leak out.

When I went to replace the tube later that evening I must have pinched the tube against the rim because the tube popped long before I reached the recommended pressure. Like you that was the only spare tube I had. I got someone to go to a local store for a replacement and had them purchase three (might have been all they had in the correct size). By the time I was done I had hoped two of the three replacement tubes they had purchased.

Grand total for the day: I cut tube at work, two more blown out while making repairs:huh:punchy, and a major spike in my blood pressure.:) I now keep 4 or 5 spares around as well as a second complete set of wheels with tires. Schrader valves are common on the tubes I use. I was under the impression that Presta valves were more common in other parts of the world.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@sly
Grand total for the day: I cut tube at work, two more blown out while making repairs:huh:punchy, and a major spike in my blood pressure.:)
Have you looked into the tubeless puncture proof wheelchair tires Sly???

They may help keep your blood pressure down and your money in your wallet in the long run. Especially if you keep a few spare sets surround.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
I was under the impression that Presta valves were more common in other parts of the world.

Recreational cycling is relatively new to Thailand. When I first moved here 14 years ago I had to go to Bangkok to buy a decent bike. Now there are many high-end bike shops where I live. Still, Presta valves are relatively unknown. The tire repair shops are geared toward cars and motorcycles, so it's Schraeder all the way. I carry an adapter, but even that is a bit baffling to the uninitiated.

I've ordered two "puncture-proof" tires (fingers crossed) for my bike at fifty US dollars a pop. Next step is to drill out my rims so I can use inner tubes with Scraeder valves.

Little by little.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Patrick. I've just decided I'm not going to fiddle with it anymore.
Gee Ratsima, you don't want to give up so soon and it sounds like you are the competitive type, and it may even be easier than getting your bicycle tire repaired or replaced.

BTW, My wife recently got a newer bike that use the
Presta valves so I ordered some Presta/Schrader valve adapters to fit our little 12volt Compressor, both of which were probably made in Taiwan.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've ordered two "puncture-proof" tires (fingers crossed) for my bike at fifty US dollars a pop. Next step is to drill out my rims so I can use inner tubes with Scraeder valves.
Why not go to true puncture proof Solid pneumatics that don't even use an inner-tube, and also better to keep the strength integrity of the rim by not enlarging the valve stem hole???

PS: I'm not going to be the one to mention that we might be a bit off-topic. But hey, they are both problems for you to overcome.... :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Gee Ratsima, you don't want to give up so soon and it sounds like you are the competitive type
Nah, my motto is: "If at first you don't succeed, give up and find something you might actually be good at."

As for the solid tires, they have received poor reviews. So, I'm waiting.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I must admit I have never been a fan of the Mail app. While my previous email client AirMail coasted along in conjunction with SpamSieve with never a problem my wife has had continuous password and connection issues with the same email provider and on the same network at the same location.
Nowadays I am using Spark because it works on iOS as well and still have no issues while my wife has to turn her Mail app on and off frequently to get her accounts online again.
She is however using SpamSieve and has all Junk Mail filtering turned off in Mail.

Reaction score
I used to use Spam Sieve and I can't remember why I left it.

I really don't get that much spam. Only a dozen a week or so.

For me, the irritation is that Mail's Junk filtering doesn't work as advertised.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Sly, As another alternative (cheaper than puncture proof tubes) there is a product called Gorilla Snot which comes in a compressed aerosol can. You deflate your tires and attach the tube on the can to the valve and it not only inflates your tire but partially fills it with a green liquid. After riding the bike a short distance it coats the inside of your tube so that if you get a puncture it leaks into the hole and immediately sets into a semi solid plug which seals the leak.

Reaction score
I tried this sort of stuff ("Slime" I think) some years back. One morning I got up to find green goop all over my garage floor and a flat tire on my bike. Cleanup was awful.

YMMV

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, well maybe not such a great alternative. Never tried it myself I must admit.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Patrick A couple of the chairs I've had in the past have used some solid tires. I'm not sure the ones I've used are the same ones you're talking about but my problem with that type of tore is this:
1. When those tires come off the rim (doesn't happen often) or otherwise needs to be replaced it tends to be something that I can't do myself. There's some equipment that makes it easier to replace but I don't have that and have little use for purchasing it due to the few times I would use it. Ion that case when a repair is needed I'm stuck dealing with a local shop or driving an hour or more each way to get the repair done.

2. My current wheels have quick-release locking mechanisms on their similar to those on some bicycles. I have a spare set of rims for it since I saved the rims from my previous chair. If I'm n a real hurry I can remove the set currently on the chair and use the backup set. Maybe it's my imagination but I also find the ride a bit more comfortable with air in the tires as compared to riding with the hard rubber tires.

@Rod I've tried some of the puncture resistant tubes and not had very good luck with them. I have not tried them recently so purphaps they have improved. I haven't tried the Gorilla Snot product (great name BTW) but tried some of the others commonly used for car tires and did not have good luck with them. In reality, I don't get flats often (maybe have to replace them once a year unless I ran over something) so it's not much of an issue.

Reaction score
Maybe it's my imagination but I also find the ride a bit more comfortable with air in the tires as compared to riding with the hard rubber tires.

It’s not your imagination. Most of the reviews I’ve read of solid bicycle tires say the same thing. The big volume of compressed air in a pneumatic tire provides much better cushioning than a solid tire.

Reaction score
This is a long-standing problem that I attempt to tackle now and then hoping that new eyes might see something that I have missed. Over the years I have tried every rational solution that I've seen. Nothing works.

Time to throw in the towel and just put up with it.

Kind of like the self-assigned IP addresses on my iPad and iPhone and the fact that no Mac web browser can display certain Apple Support pages.

Unfortunately, many things don't work the way they're supposed to.
This post lasted for about 2 years with no updates since 2019.. It seemed to be the best source of information when trying to google this issue - something I too have done many times over the past few years.. This time I took it a bit more seriously.

I ended up in an email conversation with an iCloud Mail Team email address at Apple. Initially they started responding to me like I was a user and as a user I needed to move the mail to the inbox. I explained that I've tried everything but this problem continues to occur even with Mail.app junk mail filtering turned off and even if I move emails to the inbox (emails at some later date still end up back in junk when I would not have expected them to)

Either I got on to a different person responding or that person finally understood what I was getting at and they responded with:

iCloud Mail uses reputation systems, user feedback, and other dynamic filtering technology to route or reject inbound messages to our users. Do note that false positives may occur from time to time. In such cases, moving the message in the Junk folder to the inbox will ensure that future messages from the sender would be delivered to the inbox. The action will also help train our server-side reputation systems.

The email that ended up in my junk was a Google Calendar invite - the first Google Calendar invite from a particular user sent to me (note: the email address I use is a @me.com address, not @mac.com or @icloud.com)

I dug further and found a previous Google Calendar invite from another person for the first time and the headers pointed to that also ending up in my junk mail.

First Google Calendar email from [email protected] to [email protected]
Code:
X-Apple-MoveToFolder: Junk
X-Apple-Action: CLXJUNK/Junk
X-ICL-SCORE: 4.3330340300
X-ICL-INFO: <some encoded string I couldn't figure out>
x-spam-flag: yes
x-suspected-spam: true

Second Google Calendar email from [email protected] to [email protected]
Code:
X-ICLOUD-MAIL-BWL: 1
X-Apple-MoveToFolder: INBOX
X-Apple-Action: WL/INBOX
X-ICL-SCORE: 3.3330333300
X-ICL-INFO: <some encoded string I couldn't figure out>

So it looks like Apple have some system that marks emails as junk and from the current tone of the email thread I'm having there isn't really a way to fix it other than moving emails to your inbox to assist future emails from that person (or from that system (Google Calendar)? or both?) to end up in your inbox.

I suspect the "X-ICLOUD-MAIL-BWL" flag maybe means "this has been whitelisted in the past"? if a user has moved previous emails to their inbox? I dunno to be honest.

I'm still in conversation with Apple and hopefully I can learn more.. when googling these headers NOTHING useful came up - hopefully someone in the future googling this can land on this page.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The answer you got may be accurate, and I suspect it is, but it doesn't seem to move things toward a viable, reliable solution.

Unless I have misunderstood the "solution," it doesn't work reliably. Mail routinely moves messages from this forum into the Junk folder. Moving them back into the Inbox may or may not fix the problem, but when it does, the "fix" lasts for a few days at best. This happens with mail from several other senders though most of it is for mailing lists of one kind or another.

Note that in some cases, this happens despite rules that move some of these emails to specific mailboxes.

Reaction score
The answer you got may be accurate, and I suspect it is, but it doesn't seem to move things toward a viable, reliable solution.

Unless I have misunderstood the "solution," it doesn't work reliably. Mail routinely moves messages from this forum into the Junk folder. Moving them back into the Inbox may or may not fix the problem, but when it does, the "fix" lasts for a few days at best. This happens with mail from several other senders though most of it is for mailing lists of one kind or another.

Note that in some cases, this happens despite rules that move some of these emails to specific mailboxes.
I'd be interested to see the headers on some of the mail it has moved into your junk mail, particularly after you've moved other such email to your inbox.

So far I think I've worked out what these headers mean:

X-Apple-Action: CLXJUNK/Junk = Apple is treating it as junk based on their classification system (usually X-ICL-SCORE is above 4)
X-Apple-Action: JUNK/Junk = Apple is treating it as junk based on ???
X-Apple-Action: DMARCINFO/Junk = Apple is treating it as junk due to DMARC failures
X-Apple-Action: WL/INBOX = Apple is treating it as not junk because you've whitelisted it (ie moved it to your inbox)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.