Junk mail problems

Reaction score
As suggested, I disabled Junk mail filtering in Mail. But, this morning there was still mail in the Junk folder. This was mail sent to my Dot Mac email address. It contains junk mail headers:

Code:
X-Clx-Spam: ⁨true⁩
X-Spam-Flag: ⁨yes⁩

Which were added by Proofpoint, the junkmail service used by Apple:

Code:
X-Proofpoint-Spam-Details: ⁨rule=notspam policy=default score=1 suspectscore=56 
malwarescore=0 phishscore=0 bulkscore=8 spamscore=1 clxscore=-659 mlxscore=1 
mlxlogscore=222 adultscore=0 classifier=spam adjust=0 reason=mlx scancount=1 
engine=8.0.1-1908290000 definitions=main-1911020218⁩

So, it seems that even if you have junk mail filtering disabled, Apple still puts mail it thinks is junk in the Junk mailbox.

I don't get the logic behind that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
So, it seems that even if you have junk mail filtering disabled, Apple still puts mail it thinks is junk in the Junk mailbox.

I don't get the logic behind that.

I would go through your mail Rules carefully and see if you can spot any causing a possible conflict, and if nothing exists, create a new rule to override everything else. I think there is also an option available as to the order that Rules use do their thing or before any other actions such as sort etc.

I don't recall the various orders offhand and what might happen first. But I do recall one has to read the rules and options very carefully. ;-)

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
I have exactly four rules in Mail. Two of those run AppleScripts if the mail subject contains a specific phrase. I use one of those to start my Plex server in case I forget before leaving home. The other gets my home external IP address and emails me the result so I can log in remotely. Neither affects junk mail.

The other two rules do affect junk mail. They are of the form:

If From contains lazada.co.th
Move Message to mailbox: iCloud

It's simple. It should work in real time. It doesn't. If I run that rule manually it works fine and does what I expect it to do. But, in real time it fails.

Reaction score
Today two more messages appeared in the Junk mailbox:

The daily Subsurface Divelog digest from Google Groups. Apparently Gmail flagged this as Spam even though it is sent from a Google Groups mailing list to a Gmail address.

An email from Com Gateway, an international remailing service that I use. Their email address is in my Contacts. It was flagged as Spam by Proofpoint. Mail put it in the Junk folder.

Apparently, Mail pretty much ignores the fact that you have disabled junk mail filtering. It goes ahead and puts mail that it "thinks" is junk into your Junk mailbox no matter what you do.

I give up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
How do you know it is not your email provider that is not putting those emails in their junk mail folder? Unless you signed into their online service, Apple Mail would still show them in the junk mail folder? Maybe they have filters in place that you need to train first?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
So, the emails are to “iCloud.com, or me.com”, like that?? I wasn’t sure if they were to your ISP accounts email service? Have you tried the online login, and see what filters are enabled there?

Reaction score
So, the emails are to “iCloud.com, or me.com”, like that?? I wasn’t sure if they were to your ISP accounts email service? Have you tried the online login, and see what filters are enabled there?

I'm not sure what you mean here. With iCloud webmail there's no way to specify how Junk mail is treated. I don't have any rules set in iCloud Mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I’m not near my Mac right now, I’m using my iPad. I haven’t tried t logging to iCloud webmail, but they have to have some type of settings somewhere?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
And you didn't answer the question about the email being to "iCloud.com" or "me.com" as Bob asked. That is important for us to understand.

Reaction score
And you didn't answer the question about the email being to "iCloud.com" or "me.com" as Bob asked. That is important for us to understand.

The one I use is mac.com, but they all work. They are just aliases of one another:

iCloud: About your @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses

If you had a working @mac.com email address as of July 9, 2008, kept your MobileMe account active, and moved to iCloud before August 1, 2012, you can use @icloud.com, @me.com, and @mac.com email addresses with your iCloud account.

@ferrar - Next time you're with your Mac please have a look at the iCloud.com email settings and tell me what you think I should do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, what Bob asked was
So, the emails are to “iCloud.com, or me.com”, like that?? I wasn’t sure if they were to your ISP accounts email service?
The various Apple addresses are aliases, but you could have been using an ISP, which is why the question. However, given you are using Apple's email service, there aren't many settings. About all you can control is where the Junk Mailbox is and when to delete junk mail. I don't see any settings for what NOT to count as junk.

I have CCC email me after it runs to let me know the results of the actions. That mail invariably gets marked as junk because it's from me to me and that is a prime way spammers keep from showing who they are. At least I got my spam setting to allow it, but the junk filter still nails it. I'm learning to live with it.

Reaction score
This is what I'm relying on:

Reduce junk mail in Mail on Mac

(BTW, I had to use a proxy to open the above URL.)

Each time you confirm a message as junk or not junk, the junk mail filter improves so Mail can better identify junk mail.

In other words, you're supposed to be able to "train" the junk mail filter to better identify what is junk and what is not junk. For me, this fails spectacularly.

You're supposed to be able to "exempt from junk mail filtering" messages where "Sender of messages is in my Contacts". For me, this fails spectacularly.

Screenshot 2019-11-04 05.44.45.jpg

I have CCC mail me after each backup. The mail from CCC has never ended up in my Junk mailbox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@ferrar - Next time you're with your Mac please have a look at the iCloud.com email settings and tell me what you think I should do.
Yeah, I looked earlier and I noticed there are no settings for Mail in iCloud.com. I’m thinking of adding another user account without an Apple ID and try to sign in to iCloud.com n that user account, to see if any options are there? Or maybe try my wife’s winOS PC?

I can’t do it right now as I’m converting some videos with Handbrake, and it will take about 14 hours to complete.

Reaction score
This evening when I checked my Junk mailbox there were three messages:

• FoodPanda, a new food delivery service. I had not yet added it to my contacts, so this is excusable.
  • Subsurface which has been in my contacts for years. In addition, yesterday I signed into Gmail's webmail and told it that Subsurface is important and not SPAM. Still, it ends up in Junk.
  • MacPorts User Digest to which I have subscribed for years and which is in my contacts. This is the first time I've ever seen it in my Junk mailbox.

I guess the best advice of all is from MacInWin: "I'm learning to live with it."

I'll try my best, but I expect better from a company with a reputation for producing products that "just work".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This evening when I checked my Junk mailbox there were three messages:

• FoodPanda, a new food delivery service. I had not yet added it to my contacts, so this is excusable.
  • Subsurface which has been in my contacts for years. In addition, yesterday I signed into Gmail's webmail and told it that Subsurface is important and not SPAM. Still, it ends up in Junk.
  • MacPorts User Digest to which I have subscribed for years and which is in my contacts. This is the first time I've ever seen it in my Junk mailbox.

I guess the best advice of all is from MacInWin: "I'm learning to live with it."

I'll try my best, but I expect better from a company with a reputation for producing products that "just work".
This is what confuses me, is all the email that is going into the Junk Mail folder going to your "@Gmail.com", or are some of them from other email providers? You mentioned iCloud, in a previous reply, so I thought all the emails were coming into your "@iCloud.com" email address?

I will admit, I hardly ever check my "Junk mail" folders. And I also never use Mac Mail Junk Mail filtering.

- - - Updated - - -

Wowie Zowie. That's a lot of video.
Yeah, I converted some DVDs, and I prefer small file sizes ~1-2GB tops.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes it does as described in the posts above. But, it doesn't seem to work. Whenever real mail ends up in my Junk mailbox I always click on Not Junk. But, that training doesn't seem to work. I have been clicking Not Junk on mail from the online retailer Lazada for years, but mail from them still ends up in the Junk mailbox.

Do they use the same email address each time?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not just turn off junk filtering altogether? Mail/Preferences/Junk Mail/<<uncheck the box>>

There is also an option to trust/not trust junk mail headers in messages. And some custom actions you can define.
Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 10.07.55 AM.png

Reaction score
Regarding the three email messages that ended up in the Junk mailbox yesterday: the FoodPanda and MacPorts messages were addressed to my Dot MAC address and the Subsurface message was addressed to my Gmail address.

I have tried disabling Junk mail filtering. This seems to have no effect. Mail flags messages as Junk whether or not I have Junk mail filtering enabled.

I have had Trust junk mail headers turned off for a long time.

I've looked at the Custom Actions one can enable, but the defaults are exactly what I want to have happen:

• If the sender is in my Contacts it's not Junk
  • If the sender is in my Previous Recipients it's not junk
  • If the message is addressed to my fuill name it's not junk
  • Ignore Junk email headers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.