• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

It's only rock and roll, but we like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
iTunes 9 is available from the Apple iTunes page (it still says 8, but 9 is available). It's not in Software Update yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.53GHz, 4GB, Snow Leopard + iPhone 3G
It says 9 now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Thanks cwa107. You are right. My mistake. But I wanted to share the info quick. A little to quick :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This has to be one of the most underwhelming media events that I can recall. Most of what was released could have been simply and quietly released. Don't get me wrong, it's great stuff but I don't think this really deserved a media event.

When I say everything is nice, I'm forgetting about the new Nano with a camera which, IMHO, is not needed. My philosophy is that a device should do one thing and do it well. A Nano is supposed to be a small iPod for those between a Touch and a Shuffle (who don't need Classic sizes). Apple should have left the camera out and there is no need to have a video camera on a PMP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This has to be one of the most underwhelming media events that I can recall. Most of what was released could have been simply and quietly released. Don't get me wrong, it's great stuff but I don't think this really deserved a media event.

When I say everything is nice, I'm forgetting about the new Nano with a camera which, IMHO, is not needed. My philosophy is that a device should do one thing and do it well. A Nano is supposed to be a small iPod for those between a Touch and a Shuffle (who don't need Classic sizes). Apple should have left the camera out and there is no need to have a video camera on a PMP.

I suspect it was simply a reason for Steve to reappear in public.

T

todd51

I agree, perhaps they are trying to raise the sales of the Nano? Maybe they aren't selling very well with the release of the iPod Touches, so they are making the Nanos more appealing? Just a guess. I do think that the FM Radio was a good addition to the Nano though, I would like that. However, I'm very happy sticking with my iPod Touch 2G. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard
Why didn't the ipod touch get a camera? I might get a Nano because of that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4 Hz 4GB RAM
Why are they calling the REISSUE of the 160 GB iPod Classic (same as way back in 2007) new? The least they could do is call it "Updated" or something.

Overall, the Nano with video seems very cool. :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I suspect it was simply a reason for Steve to reappear in public.
Never thought of that. :)

I agree, perhaps they are trying to raise the sales of the Nano? Maybe they aren't selling very well with the release of the iPod Touches, so they are making the Nanos more appealing? Just a guess. I do think that the FM Radio was a good addition to the Nano though, I would like that. However, I'm very happy sticking with my iPod Touch 2G. ;)
Could be but the iTouch probably makes more money for Apple so wouldn't they want to push the sale of iTouches? I'm just speculating. I'm with you though - I'll keep my current iTouch.

Why didn't the ipod touch get a camera? I might get a Nano because of that.
Seriously? You would buy the Nano now simply because it has recording abilities? That one feature is a deal-breaker for you regardless of the numerous features available for the iTouch that are arguably of much more worth? I'm not trying to be mean but the recording capabilities of the new Nano are by no means a deal-breaker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook Pro 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3 500 GB 7200rpm HD
Seriously? You would buy the Nano now simply because it has recording abilities? That one feature is a deal-breaker for you regardless of the numerous features available for the iTouch that are arguably of much more worth? I'm not trying to be mean but the recording capabilities of the new Nano are by no means a deal-breaker.

I think having the video on the nano is a good idea. However, most phones now a days have video capabilities and also camera built in too. However I still see some people that have really old phones that don't have good camera or video even on it. So to put video on the nano is a good idea. Because you can do stills even. I don't know if the quality is going to be great but it is a still cool option. I have a feeling youtube videos will jump up a bit. Hopefully we will catch more funny videos too :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Yawn... there was an Apple event? All I got was this crummy iTunes 9 and iPhone 3.1. Does it even qualify as a whole "version up"? For either? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I think some people have the wrong idea about the nano's video camera. It's not meant to be a high tech video camera. If you want high quality video, you get a video camera. And if you look at apple's ipod market share, it's still stupidly high. But not as high as it once was, they lost a few points there.

So I think Apple asked themselves why are people buying other mp3 players and why did we lose those few points market share. I think the camera on the ipod is just an extra. As in if for the same price I can get a non apple music player or I can get an ipod with a camera. I think I'll get the one with the camera. I think it is there primarily for the purpose to sway people away from the non apple products.

Seriously the nano's camera at it's currently quality is gimmicky at best. But it's something to keep the interest on the ipods. As I think ipods once were the new hot in thing. Now they are just a house hold name evetyone knows. And cause of that a little harder to invoke interest in them. But the camera might just do it.

And also it's well known Nano's are the best selling ipods. And I think Apple want to keep the sales of them high.

And to the above post, I thought it was a really good event. You can't expect the world from an ipod focused event. So if you realise that you can really enjoy it, well at least enjoy the news that comes from it.

And for me one of the highlights was the talk that Apple is researching price points and trying to understand what price point (for each product) generates the highest sales and profits. And they realise super high and super low prices sometimes aren't the best thing. But a nice mid point. And cause Apple sell premium high end products they need their pricing just right. As poor and rich people want their products alike. And both are sales for apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like the nanos regardless. The camera almost tilts the balance. I want to determine if it's at all reasonable for taking photos, first. The radio which also allows for pause and scanning, is a nice feature as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
the camera on nano is nice, but it will definetly put apple sales up. cuz a lot of kids will beg and beg and beg their parents for it. no one at skool nos about but me. lol. i told my frend (hes not rely a tech kinda guy) he still said he wasnt surprised, everyone knew somthin like tht was comin. But still I wanted a still and motion cam on the ipod touch 2. i wouldnt gotton tht rite away

P.S. Please excuse the spelling, I'm to lazy to type right now. :p

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think having the video on the nano is a good idea. However, most phones now a days have video capabilities and also camera built in too. However I still see some people that have really old phones that don't have good camera or video even on it. So to put video on the nano is a good idea. Because you can do stills even. I don't know if the quality is going to be great but it is a still cool option. I have a feeling youtube videos will jump up a bit. Hopefully we will catch more funny videos too :)
I'm one of those few people that, for now, uses their cell phone as a phone. Why? Because that's what it was designed to do. There is no need to have at least 3/4 of what's on a cell phone today. This becomes more salient when, as you alluded to, you include cameras (both picture and video) on devices and the quality is poor. Why would you include something that was poor quality just for the sake of including something? It's nothing more than a gimmick. That's not a compliment by any means. Instead of including something gimmicky, why not invest in something worthwhile like limited WiFi to allow the Nano to access the iTMS (something music related).

I'm a strong believer in the Unix philosophy (adapted) that a product should do one thing and do it well. Adding a video camera to an iPod Nano adds no value whatsoever which is why Apple was smart not to raise the price. That said, because it adds no real value, it shouldn't sway people. If it does, it will sway the "ooohhh look, shiny" crowd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm one of those few people that, for now, uses their cell phone as a phone. Why? Because that's what it was designed to do. There is no need to have at least 3/4 of what's on a cell phone today.
You are a person after my heart... I'm getting a bit choked up. :)

I have no idea why anyone continues to call these monstrosities "phones".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To Vansmith:

I agree with you but if you take 2 players virtually identical in every way even the price point. And the only difference was one had a gimicky camera attached, Well you see where I am going. And I think that is what Apple is trying to do.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To Vansmith:

I agree with you but if you take 2 players virtually identical in every way even the price point. And the only difference was one had a gimicky camera attached, Well you see where I am going. And I think that is what Apple is trying to do.
I see where you're going. :)

That said, there is no reason they couldn't have added something of value or something that would enhance the music playing experience (seeing as how it's a music player after all). My point is that if they wanted to add something and keep the price the same for the purposes of driving up sales, why not make it something useful for an iPod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have a camera, except on a phone I rarely use but I want an ipod. Reviews and demonstrations are slim at the moment but if it appears the camera on the nano is quite good then I may consider getting the Nano. Like I said, the other features are nice additions also.

The special effects are the real gimmicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.