• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is this an iphone killer?

Reaction score
iphone?

I have looked at this model and the iphone and am still trying to decide which is best. The iphone seems to have bigger better applications of a well known site that you need not worry about. I am a little more unsure about this handset as there just does not seem to be enough information readily available for it.

Reaction score
Iphone is the next generation

I have an Iphone. It really is the next generation mobile phones.

I do not think It is killed very fast. Also because of the good marketing and name.

Many people have it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Hardware wise the HTC Droid Incredible takes out the current iPhone model. Expandable memory, 8MP camera with dual led flash, 1GHz Snapdragon processor. This phone has been pretty popular in the store. Not so much buzz yet because I haven't really seen a commercial for it on TV yet.

I love the iPhone though because of it's design and OS but it is way too controlled and tied down to what only Apple wants you to do with it. The Android OS is amazing especially with the Sense UI on top of it.

Reaction score
Used to have a HTC phone. Nice look, many applications but it always hang :(
Don't really have faith in HTC phone since then

Reaction score
I think the HTC EVO from Sprint, which comes out sometime this summer is going to be the best phone not named the iPhone.

Thing has a 4.3" HD quality screen, two cameras (an 8MP backside camera) among many other features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Hardware wise the HTC Droid Incredible takes out the current iPhone model. Expandable memory, 8MP camera with dual led flash, 1GHz Snapdragon processor. This phone has been pretty popular in the store. Not so much buzz yet because I haven't really seen a commercial for it on TV yet.

I love the iPhone though because of it's design and OS but it is way too controlled and tied down to what only Apple wants you to do with it. The Android OS is amazing especially with the Sense UI on top of it.

I keep reading about this Sense UI, I know Kash has it on his iPhone,I'm thinking I'm going to load a sense Rom on my Nexus One and give it a try.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I keep reading about this Sense UI, I know Kash has it on his iPhone,I'm thinking I'm going to load a sense Rom on my Nexus One and give it a try.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on one of these, but I do want to see it in the store before I buy it. It comes out next week, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on one of these, but I do want to see it in the store before I buy it. It comes out next week, right?

The Incredible is already out, It came out last week.
I think it's $199. It's a nice phone.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Does this phone has a nice appstore built in?
And does it have good customer support, so if someone gets a lemon, you can actually take it back without spending weeks to prove it's a fault and not accidental damage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does this phone has a nice appstore built in?
And does it have good customer support, so if someone gets a lemon, you can actually take it back without spending weeks to prove it's a fault and not accidental damage?

It has the Android Market which doesn't have the same amount of apps as the Appstore,But it has more free Apps than the Appstore.It has a lot of the same apps e.g. fart apps,flashlite,games...etc Android Market also has a lot of hacker apps. e.g. I have an app I downloaded for $1.99 that overclocks the Nexus One CPU from 1Ghz to 1.113Ghz

As for customer support you would have to contact the carrier about that,
I have heard HTC' customer/warranty support is fairly simple to do a repair or swap.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has the Android Market which doesn't have the same amount of apps as the Appstore,But it has more free Apps than the Appstore.It has a lot of the same apps e.g. fart apps,flashlite,games...etc Android Market also has a lot of hacker apps. e.g. I have an app I downloaded for $1.99 that overclocks the Nexus One CPU from 1Ghz to 1.113Ghz

As for customer support you would have to contact the carrier about that,
I have heard HTC' customer/warranty support is fairly simple to do a repair or swap.

I would be getting it on Verizon. From past experience, they're pretty good about swapping hardware for manufacturer's defects. And of course, they also have accidental damage insurance programs you can buy into (I probably will go that route seeing as how the phone itself will run $200+contract).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would be getting it on Verizon. From past experience, they're pretty good about swapping hardware for manufacturer's defects. And of course, they also have accidental damage insurance programs you can buy into (I probably will go that route seeing as how the phone itself will run $200+contract).

How do like Verizon' 3G? my Dad has Verizon swears it's the best service to have.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do like Verizon' 3G? my Dad has Verizon swears it's the best service to have.

My company uses Verizon exclusively, so I think I have a good idea of how the performance is.

When Verizon rolled out EVDO rev.a to this area, the difference was amazing. I'm not sure how relative it is to the iPhone on AT&T 3G, but we primarily use their Mobile Broadband USB and PC-Card adapters to run Citrix sessions across EVDO. Not only is it fast, but it's remarkably stable, even in areas of limited reception.

I have dozens of mobile nurses who go to hospitals and are able to work over EVDO on a laptop just as though they were in the office.

Now, I can't really comment on the smartphone experience, since I have an old Moto W755 without a dataplan and my work-issued LG ENV2 doesn't have data either. But if the performance I've seen on my laptops is any indicator, the HTC Incredible should be pretty darn fast.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW, I called VZW today and spoke with a rep. It looks like I can upgrade my plan, get the Incredible for $199, add data and 250 texts and still be at about $100/month with my corporate discount. If I can sell my wife on it, I'm pulling the trigger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Customer support is really good. You get a one year manufacture warranty on the hardware. If something happens to it (defect wise) then you can simply call up Verizon and have one shipped to you or visit a corporate store and have it swapped out if devices are available.

There is also the third party Asurion insurance that VZW provides and various in-store insurance programs such as ones that Best Buy offer.

Do it cwa107. It's an amazing phone. I work for a VZW indirect so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Same with anyone else here. :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Customer support is really good. You get a one year manufacture warranty on the hardware. If something happens to it (defect wise) then you can simply call up Verizon and have one shipped to you or visit a corporate store and have it swapped out if devices are available.

There is also the third party Asurion insurance that VZW provides and various in-store insurance programs such as ones that Best Buy offer.

Do it cwa107. It's an amazing phone. I work for a VZW indirect so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Same with anyone else here. :)

Cool, thanks. We're currently on a grandfathered plan that has 400 minutes per month (we use a fraction of that) and two standard phones with no texts or data and that runs about $75 with taxes and our corporate discount.

The VZW rep said that he would grandfather us on another package that they don't offer now (current minimum package is 700 minutes and runs $10 more) for the same price. That plan is 550 minutes. They'd also add 250 texts for $10 (for both phones) and $30 for the data plan. That would bring me to a grand total of about $100 with fees and taxes, and with a 19% corporate discount. I think that seems like a pretty good deal overall.

The HTC would be $199, but I didn't ask whether I could get a second new phone for free (that one would not be a smart phone). I'll have to mention that when I call him back.

According to the rep, they're backordered on the Incredible until the 13th of this month. He said he has one and it's awesome. That seems to be the consensus of everyone I talk to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.