iPhone 11 vibration level

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Hi. Has anyone solved the issue with the vibrate very quiet on the iPhone 11.
thanks.
David

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I forget exactly which generation it came in, but they introduced a specific piece of hardware to do with variable vibration and so on in the iPhones and I've generally felt that it's discernible enough in your hand or on a hard surface.

I don't believe you can specifically tweak anything in iOS related to this.

Can you not feel it vibrate?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi David,

Nice to hear from you again.

Your question is really interesting because my gut reaction was, tough, you've got to stick with it.

But when I explored my iPhone 11 Pro, I came across this:

If you go into Settings > Sounds & Haptics. Then under Sounds And Vibration Patterns, tap on Ringtone - that's the sound you chose when the phone rings; well obviously, sorry.

After Tapping Ringtone, scroll to the top. Here you will see'Vibration" - Default. Tap on that.

You will see Synchronised (Default) which will be ticked.

Now scroll to the bottom and you will see CUSTOM - Create New Vibration. Tap on that.

What you do now - and I'm not joking, is "Tap on the screen to create a vibration pattern". When done, Tap Stop. Then Tap Play to hear/feel it.

This was totally new to me. So, thank you very much for your interesting question.

Give it a go and tell us how you got on.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Nice find Ian, so I can totally annoy myself with a totally obnoxious "rhythm" it seems. :)

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Once again thanks Ian.
followed your method but sorry to say no joy. While the phone is in my hand yes it vibrates not as good as the iPhone seven.
maybe something will develop from Apple thought that the latest ios14 would have done something to fix it.
there are loads of info on line regarding the issue. That’s it for another issue.
many thanks once again.
David.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
followed your method but sorry to say no joy.

Sorry to hear that, David. In what way, no joy? I mean we both have the same iPhone and I was able to Tap a rhythm on the screen to create a vibration pattern. Did you get that far? Is it that you did all that but it's still not "loud enough"?

I'm only asking because I just wanted to make sure that you had got as far as the Tap on screen/new vibration stage.

Ian

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes I went as far as tapping and yes vibrate while holding the phone.
Thanks.

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian. Sorry to bother once again.
what is the vibration like on your iPhone 11. Would you say good or just working.
thanks.
David.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are not bothering me in the least, David. Thanks for your post.

On my iPhone 11 Pro and on my wife's iPhone X, the vibration is not really audible if in my pocket (or very deeply embedded in my wife's voluminous handbag); but is clearly audible if placed on a wooden desk or similar.

The vibration itself is fairly obvious in my hand or in my pocket; but not if in the deeper recesses of an overcoat or anorak.

So I would agree with you that if you are counting on vibration only to alert you to a call then you might well not be aware of it.

My answer to this: if I need to mute the sound and rely on vibration, I carry the iPhone in my hand or in a pocket close to the skin.

Just working rather than good.

Ian

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks once again.Happy with your comments.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Don't forget, you can enable Flash for Notifications or Alerts, I forget which. It should be listed in Accessibility.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I feel your pain David. For me, this has been an issue with every iPhone I've had. I usually have my phone in vibrate/silent mode during the day to keep from disturbing classes. The problem is, I often forget to turn the ringer back on at the end of the day and miss calls. Using the flash feature doesn't help much if you carry your phone in a trouser pocket.

I'd love for the vibrate feature to 'be made "location-aware" in a way similar to location-aware Reminders. Imagine being able to teach the phone to turn the ringer back on when you leave work or off when you arrive at church.

OP
Tomos
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I feel your pain David. For me, this has been an issue with every iPhone I've had. I usually have my phone in vibrate/silent mode during the day to keep from disturbing classes. The problem is, I often forget to turn the ringer back on at the end of the day and miss calls. Using the flash feature doesn't help much if you carry your phone in a trouser pocket.

I'd love for the vibrate feature to 'be made "location-aware" in a way similar to location-aware Reminders. Imagine being able to teach the phone to turn the ringer back on when you leave work or off when you arrive at church.
This should become available as technology advances. I'm even looking for smaller scale options. Like reminding me to get something when Im in the kitchen, or garage, etc. It may already be possible, as stores can tell when you are near certain displays, but I haven't looked into it.

I wonder if churches asked (notification) when you entered, would you allow it? Some people would, others wouldn't, but it's interesting times.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This should become available as technology advances. I'm even looking for smaller scale options. Like reminding me to get something when Im in the kitchen, or garage, etc. It may already be possible, as stores can tell when you are near certain displays, but I haven't looked into it.

I wonder if churches asked (notification) when you entered, would you allow it? Some people would, others wouldn't, but it's interesting times.
I hadn't thought about notification on that scale, but it opens up some intriguing possibilities. But it would put a damper on my ability to convince SWMBO that I forgot to load the dishwasher, take out the trash, etc.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But it would put a damper on my ability to convince SWMBO that I forgot to load the dishwasher, take out the trash, etc.

It's easy Sly. Blame it on the iPhone. It failed to alert you. Answer: you need a new shiny one :laugh

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Location aware services depend on mini-bluetooth servers all over the area. So to make it work in a house, for example, you would need one in each area you wanted to be made location aware. A church could have a BT server at each door, track who came in through the door, assuming they have the right BT protocols on their devices (no guarantee there). That is how stadiums track where you are and alert you that a certain food vendor is righthere.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The level of tracking needed to solve my issue is already present. I routinely use location-aware reminders, and it works to show me reminders when I arrive at a destination. All that would be needed is for software to silence the ringer or activate the ringer based on location

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think, Apple wouldn't allow that type of interaction through software. Maybe it's time to submit Product feedback for the iPhone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Sly, could an IFTTT script triggered by location awareness change your ringtones or something? When you choose a tone, it plays immediately, once. Kind of stretching here, I don't know IFTTT that well. But I created what I think is a "notify me when I get inside this circle" trigger, so I will get a notification from IFTTT when I enter that circle. Given that notifications make one sound, one haptic, would that do? You get the notification and that's the reminder to change the silent mode back to OFF.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.