iMac27 Dropping Ethernet Connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) macOS 10.14, 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM
Was wondering about the “what if’s” of doing this. Is there anything I should be concerned about just running off of WiFi? And if I chose to use an Ethernet adapter to a USB port, any db speed loss?
I would also be asking them to check the port to ensure it is bad before they do anything.

Also, if I do choose to take my iMac in for repair, should I be concerned about access to files? I have strong log in password and assume they would be logging in as “guest”. Any preventative measures I should take?

As always, wealth of knowledge on this forum and I appreciate everyone’s time and effort helping me sort through all of this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Was wondering about the “what if’s” of doing this. Is there anything I should be concerned about just running off of WiFi? And if I chose to use an Ethernet adapter to a USB port, any db speed loss?
I would also be asking them to check the port to ensure it is bad before they do anything.

Also, if I do choose to take my iMac in for repair, should I be concerned about access to files? I have strong log in password and assume they would be logging in as “guest”. Any preventative measures I should take?

As always, wealth of knowledge on this forum and I appreciate everyone’s time and effort helping me sort through all of this.
WiFi will be slower than Ethernet, but the throttle may well be in the AP interface. You can test by using Speedtest.net in a browser. Turn of WiFI, run the test. Then turn WiFi on, turn off the Ethernet port and run it again. You should see a difference in speeds. Whether it's significant is up to you. You can do the same with the "real" ethernet port, too.

I suspect also that the techs will need more than Guest access, but that is just a guess. Make a backup before you take it in, of course. If you have sensitive data, you might want to remove it from the drive before you hand it over.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I would get an ethernet adapter or just use wifi. Unless there is a fear of other issues cropping up?

I have found on PC's that a stray electrical charge can take out or flake the ethernet port. This usually happens if there is a power outage followed by a power surge all brought on by the angry electricity gods... add to it no surge protector or UPS and zap.

And the ethernet port showing green does not surprise me. The port can just be flaky but will show a clear signal even though it is intermittent.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have never heard of an ethernet port going bad on an iMac or any Mac for that matter.

I must say Charlie that I would have to agree with you 100%. I have never come across or even heard of such a thing. Airport and Wireless going kaputz yes, but not ethernet nor their ports. Very unusual.

Were different replacement cables with good connectors even tried I wonder???

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) macOS 10.14, 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM
The tech that checked my home network along with my computer used his own ethernet cable to check the port. No internet. He then used that same ethernet cable and an ethernet to USB adapter to see if iMac would connect to internet over ethernet...and it did.

So....my 2017 27" iMac is little over 4 years old, so would be thinking of purchasing a new one in the next couple of years. That said, I just invested in an Apple Gigabyte Ethernet to USB C (Thunderbolt) adapter. Assume better data speed and less bog down than an Apple Ethernet to USB adapter that the tech used.

Again...very informative forum. Thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.