iMac27 Dropping Ethernet Connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) macOS 10.14, 3.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM
Going to have the person who set up my AP system come by and check out the devices. Appreciate your input Patrick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Going to have the person who set up my AP system come by and check out the devices. Appreciate your input Patrick

You should be able to do that yourself it is a pretty simple easy matter to do:

You can find the browser method of doing so here:

• Open a web browser and enter routerlogin.net.
• The default user name is admin. The default password is password.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Every time I speak to the tech that installed my Access Point system (3 devices interconnected to provide wide WiFi coverage), and say the word “router”, I get immediately reminded that the NetGear device is not a router. It is an access point. Could that be an issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Probably not. The "router" is the device handling the DHCP services to assign IP numbers and also connecting your Local Area Network (LAN) to the Internet Service Provider's (ISP) network to get out to the world. What the APs do is connect to the Router to repeat the signals so you get more coverage. However, in thinking about it, unless the APs are connected by Ethernet to the router, they are using WiFi to communicate, so your speeds over Ethernet are going to be throttled to whatever they can handle between them and the router. What that means is that the Ethernet may not get you any better performance than if you just used wifi. Be interesting to see what the installer has to say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Every time I speak to the tech that installed my Access Point system (3 devices interconnected to provide wide WiFi coverage), and say the word “router”, I get immediately reminded that the NetGear device is not a router. It is an access point. Could that be an issue?

True and for accuracy and descriptive usage, the device gets a technical label for its particular function depending on how it is being used.

Regardless of name, I should just work assuming the unit is not kaput and the various settings needed are correct.

Hey, depending on how the ethernet ports are being used and connected, you might even be able to call it a dumb switch!!! ;)

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you tell us what the models are for both the router and the APs? I have a Netgear Orbi system of one central router and three satellites, all Orbi.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My house is wired for fiberoptiic with cables going into a central "METAL" cabinet located in master closet. Original installation included a CenturyLink WiFI router "inside"???? the metal cabinet. And as mentioned, we only have CenturyLink in our HOA subdivision.

Tech replaced the wifi router inside the cabinet with a tp-link SafeStream Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN router (TL-R600VPN). With this he added two Netgear WAC104 802.11ac Wireless Access Point devices. AP devices are hard wired via ethernet cables to the router. I later added a third AP device, but tech had to attach a small router to the original router to provide an additional port to support the third AP device.

Have the AP devices in my office and both far ends of the house with capability for good wifi coverage throughout the house as well as ethernet connectivity directly to my office iMac and large TVs in bedroom and great room. That presents the other question. What wifi signal is my iMac using? From the AP device in question that is hard wired to my iMac, or a wifi signal from one of the other two AP devices? Hopefully the tech checking the AP will figure that out as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would bet that the WiFi is from the Netgear AP devices. That is how most folks would use APs, to extend the WiFi signal throughout the house. If you want to see what network you are connected to, click on the fan symbol on the top bar of the Mac display. It will show what WiFi you are using and you can also see any other networks that can be "see" by the WiFi in the Mac.
I later added a third AP device, but tech had to attach a small router to the original router to provide an additional port to support the third AP device.
I would bet it is a hub and not a router that got attached. Typically, there is a modem to convert from the signals from the ISP to TCP/IP protocols for an ethernet network, then a router that controls the traffic in the local network. Those two are also usually in the same device, provided by the ISP. That is what is in the metal box you referred to. Then, in your case, the ethernet goes through the house until it gets to the AP, where it is again converted to WiFi protocols to be transmitted to the Mac. Or, in your case, you use the ethernet socket on the AP to connect your Mac to the ethernet LAN. So, when the tech needed to add another branch of the wiring in your house, he probably added a hub that one port for IN and multiple ports for OUT to run that new wiring for you.

And yes, words and terms are important, as the tech has said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Yes, as Jake (MacInWin) said - terms are important. Glad you have a tech coming over. And I will bet the iMac is accessing wirelessly the closest AP because it will have the strongest signal.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One other thing I found interesting. On the back of the Netgear AP device is the url address to go to Netgear website so you can make changes to settings, username, password, etc, for the Netgear AP device. It appears this url address is basically an IP address with 'http://' in front of it.

My iMac System Preferences/Network shows my iMac connected with Ethernet "Status: Connected. But the IP address shown is different than the IP address type number used as part of the url address on the back of the Netgear AP device. Should they not be the same? I also noticed the Wi-Fi IP address is different than the other two just mentioned??

I typed in the url address on the back of the Netgear AP in my browser and got nothing...no connection with anything. Again, my iMac is connected to the Netgear AP via an ethernet cable. I then tried the same thing using the the IP address shown in System Preferences/Network as part of the url address and also got nothing. Something wrong? Again, a tech will be coming by sometime today to check it out, but thought I would ask in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My iMac System Preferences/Network shows my iMac connected with Ethernet "Status: Connected. But the IP address shown is different than the IP address type number used as part of the url address on the back of the Netgear AP device. Should they not be the same? I also noticed the Wi-Fi IP address is different than the other two just mentioned??
What are the various IP numbers involved? Not giving us the numbers is a bit like doing to a car mechanic and saying your car makes one noise when driving and another noise when parked without saying what either noise actually may be.

The Netgear website traces back to everyone who logs in to find the actual Internet address for the router so that it can invoke the right one for you. Without the numbers we can't tell what it may or may not be trying to do.

Screenshots, if you can do them, would help immensely.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See attached screenshots of System Preferences/Network for the Ethernet Connection and the WiFi connection. And these two IP addresses are different than the url address on the Netgear

Attachments

• Mac Network1.jpg
    Mac Network1.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Mac Network2.jpg
    Mac Network2.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That all looks correct. The 192.168.x.y number scheme is a standard for internal Local Area networks. And that is what you (and the rest of us) have in our homes. The Router then connects to the "real" internet through the ISP, who assigns an IP to the router itself which you may or may not know or need. The router translates from that one external IP to the multiple internal IPs to control the traffic in the home network. The number on the router you see is the IP number for Netgear, I suspect. (No picture so it's hard to tell.) When or if you go to Netgear to see your router, Netgear would detect where you came from (your ISP-provided external IP number) and come back to that number to open the web interface to the router for you. You can also most likely get to it by entering 192.168.0.1 into the address line of a browser and providing the login information on the bottom of the router you mentioned. That action will let you see what the router is doing, what devices are attached, what number it has from your ISP, etc. None of that is critical unless for some reason the router isn't getting an IP from your ISP and cannot get to the internet.

To be perfectly frank with you, I have never been a fan of the router/AP approach. I always found it unreliable. When I got the Netgear Orbi system, I was a bit skeptical at first, but it's working great. I suspect that is because it has a lot more "back channel" communication going on than in the simpler APs.

Good luck with it. I hope the tech can get it sorted out for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think what you are saying is that the IP address is for the tp-link SafeStream Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN router (TL-R600VPN), which is located in a wall mounted metal cabinet in another room. My internet signal runs into the wall mounted metal cabinet, connects to the tp-link router, and the router is connected via ethernet cables to three Netgear AP devices, one of which is connected via ethernet cable to my iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I typed in the url address on the back of the Netgear AP in my browser and got nothing...no connection with anything. Again, my iMac is connected to the Netgear AP via an ethernet cable. I then tried the same thing using the the IP address shown in System Preferences/Network as part of the url address and also got nothing. Something wrong? Again, a tech will be coming by sometime today to check it out, but thought I would ask in advance.

Would reviewing this page be of any help to you???

This article outlines the methods and steps required to connect to your ProSafe access point to gain access to its web management interface.

Method 1: Connecting directly to the access point via Ethernet cable

or any of the others for that matter:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Patrick. Will show those links to the tech who will be coming tomorrow.

FYI...Jake. I typed in the IP address 192.168.0.1 you provided me. That took me to my tp-link SafeStream Gigabyte router's site...Again, this router is mounted inside the metal cabinet in another room. The Netgear AP devices are just taking that router's signal and transmitting it via WiFi or providing a port with which to connect my computer via ethernet cable if I choose not to use the WiFi signal on my computer. However, I do use all three Netgear WiFi signals for my home iphone, laptop, and ipad use...and anything else which may require access to my WiFi network.

Now to just figure out why my iMac has been disconnecting from the ethernet connection and trying to reconnect using the iMac's own IP address...which doesn't work. Will keep you posted.

Again, thank you to all for clearing up some things for me and providing some great sources of information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Patrick. Will show those links to the tech who will be coming tomorrow.

FYI...Jake. I typed in the IP address 192.168.0.1 you provided me. That took me to my tp-link SafeStream Gigabyte router's site...Again, this router is mounted inside the metal cabinet in another room. The Netgear AP devices are just taking that router's signal and transmitting it via WiFi or providing a port with which to connect my computer via ethernet cable if I choose not to use the WiFi signal on my computer. However, I do use all three Netgear WiFi signals for my home iphone, laptop, and ipad use...and anything else which may require access to my WiFi network.

Now to just figure out why my iMac has been disconnecting from the ethernet connection and trying to reconnect using the iMac's own IP address...which doesn't work. Will keep you posted.

Again, thank you to all for clearing up some things for me and providing some great sources of information.
Just a clarification. The 192.168.0.1 address doesn't go to a "site" but goes to the server that is actually supported directly in the router inside the metal box, as you refer to it. Basically, that device is the "gateway" between your home LAN and the ISPs network, which is, in turn, connected to the actual Internet in some way. (It doesn't matter how they get there, it has no direct impact on your setup.) You can get to the 192.168.0.1 address even if the internet connection is totally broken, or even disconnected from the external world. In fact, you may need to do that if the ISP has issues and you need to know if the router still has a valid connection to the ISP network. From what you have described, I think the SafeStream is then connected by wire (called twisted pair because of how it is constructed to reduce interference) to the various locations in your house where the Netgear AP devices are attached. Then the APs either broadcast the signal by WiFi or allow you to connect by cable (again, twisted pair) to the AP directly. If in fact that is how you are wired, there is no reason that you could not, if you wanted to, connect the Mac directly to the cable from the SafeStream at the socket the AP is using and cut out the AP middleman. Of course, you would then lose the WiFi from that particular AP, but could conceivably have a strong enough signal from another AP to allow use of both, if you wanted. That simpler configuration may help with the loss of connectivity in the Mac by eliminating one potential source of trouble (the AP).

Let us know what the tech does and says.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tech that set up my home Access Point network and he determined the ethernet port on the back of my iMac has gone bad. He connected to the Netgear AP device by using an ethernet adapter and plugging the Netgear AP device to my iMac using a USB port. All that said, why would System Preferences/Network basic show a "green" status icon as well as a "Status: Connected" for the ethernet??

Talked to a tech at the new Simply Mac store in my area who said a logic board would need to be replaced to the tune of $439.00, not including labor. Fortunately, I purchased my iMac using my American Express Card which also adds an additional year to the warranty.

Still can connect to internet via WiFi. Looking at 3 to 5 day estimate for repair after they obtain the parts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tech that set up my home Access Point network and he determined the ethernet port on the back of my iMac has gone bad.

At least that is satisfying to know what the actual problem was.

If need be, I guess you could always use one of the Ethernet Adapters depending on your situation:
ie:
How to use a Generic USB 2.0 10/100M Ethernet Adaptor RD9700 on Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan
https://inkandfeet.com/how-to-use-a...rnet-adaptor-rd9700-on-mac-os-1011-el-capitan

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Tech that set up my home Access Point network and he determined the ethernet port on the back of my iMac has gone bad. He connected to the Netgear AP device by using an ethernet adapter and plugging the Netgear AP device to my iMac using a USB port. All that said, why would System Preferences/Network basic show a "green" status icon as well as a "Status: Connected" for the ethernet??

I have never heard of an ethernet port going bad on an iMac or any Mac for that matter. I'm certainly not saying that it can't happen, but that it is a rare occurrence. Usually it's a CAT 5 or RJ 45, RJ 11 problem. And most times it has to do with the way the network is setup.

Talked to a tech at the new Simply Mac store in my area who said a logic board would need to be replaced to the tune of $439.00, not including labor. Fortunately, I purchased my iMac using my American Express Card which also adds an additional year to the warranty.

Still can connect to internet via WiFi. Looking at 3 to 5 day estimate for repair after they obtain the parts.

I hope for your sake that a logic board swap out fixes the problem. Changing out the logic board on an iMac is a major job requiring complete disassembly and removal of the display. Also take note that any logic board that you get will likely be one that's refurbished, hopefully Apple refurbished.

Keep us posted.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.