iMac G3 kills internet

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Let us know. When you plug it into the Dlink, does the status light light up for that port on the router with the iMac booted into OSX?

I had some issues with an iMac First Generation 233 G3 like you are having but it was OS9 and changing a few settings got that working. You have tried all that though in 10.1.

If nothing else works, could you take a couple of screen shots of the Network settings in 10.1 and post them here?

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Let us know. When you plug it into the Dlink, does the status light light up for that port on the router with the iMac booted into OSX?

I had some issues with an iMac First Generation 233 G3 like you are having but it was OS9 and changing a few settings got that working. You have tried all that though in 10.1.

If nothing else works, could you take a couple of screen shots of the Network settings in 10.1 and post them here?

Tried the Ethernet cable that I was using for my iMac G4.... No joy. The status light does show up when I plug the G3 in however.

Here are a few attachments of the settings in 10.1 and Camino failing to do anything. -.-

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is a strange one. Almost out of ideas unless there is either a bent pin in the ethernet jack on the iMac or something wrong with 10.1. Do you have the 10.1 CD?

Anyone else have any ideas? CWA? Ivan?

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a strange one. Almost out of ideas unless there is either a bent pin in the ethernet jack on the iMac or something wrong with 10.1. Do you have the 10.1 CD?

No, I don't have the 10.1 CD. :\ And a bent pin wouldn't explain why it works fine with just the modem plugged in. :Grimmace: I just took the plug out that I was using to test the G3 and plugged it into my iBook. The iMac G4 still works. Therefore my router can run 2 computers plugged in at the same time just fine. Thanks for your help, but I guess it's just not gonna happen... :'(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point on the modem working with the iMac. Somehow I forgot that when trying to give you some new ideas to try.

I wonder what would happen if you trashed the network preferences file? In 10.1 not sure what it's called but it's some .plist file.

I am on my iBook G4 with 10.5 here so this might be the one in 10.1 but check Library/preferences/com.apple.networkConfig.plist

This is the Library when you click on the hard drive and not the one in the user account. If it's there, move it to the desktop and it should make a new one. You will have to configure it again probably but who knows, it might help. If it's not there then 10.1 is so old things are a lot different.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked and there isn't a file in there that matches that. :( I attached a screenshot of what I did see though.

Picture 1.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh My, I did not realize 10.1 was that simple! That is scary!

I have 10.1 here somewhere. I am going to take my old iMac G3 and install the sucker. Will get back to you. I am serious BTW. Just give me till tomorrow.

Ok I installed 10.1. imac G3 350. On a network with at least 5 currently active computers. Dlink router. Gets IP and works. Look at pic below. router in my case is Dlink DIR-655. My network is quite large. No computer was kicked off. Something is going on with OSX somewhere.

It's got to be something in OSX. I checked and no network plist. Amazing how few files. Its late and i don't feel good. Will explore more tomorrow and see if I can find a way to fix your issue.

Merry Christmas.

Attachments

• 10.1osx.jpg
    10.1osx.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 8

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

10.1 was well before my time with Macs, and since I don't really have anything to experiment with, I'm not sure how much value I can really add. Wish I could help, but it seems to me that we've ruled out hardware. It's got to be something with the IP stack/DHCP scope.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.1 was well before my time with Macs, and since I don't really have anything to experiment with, I'm not sure how much value I can really add. Wish I could help, but it seems to me that we've ruled out hardware. It's got to be something with the IP stack/DHCP scope.

CWA, that is what I was thinking also. I did not even realize how different 10.1 is compared to even 10.2. It's amazingly different in fact. Some of it in the folders looks like OS9 even though I know it's not.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh My, I did not realize 10.1 was that simple! That is scary!

I have 10.1 here somewhere. I am going to take my old iMac G3 and install the sucker. Will get back to you. I am serious BTW. Just give me till tomorrow.

Ok I installed 10.1. imac G3 350. On a network with at least 5 currently active computers. Dlink router. Gets IP and works. Look at pic below. router in my case is Dlink DIR-655. My network is quite large. No computer was kicked off. Something is going on with OSX somewhere.

It's got to be something in OSX. I checked and no network plist. Amazing how few files. Its late and i don't feel good. Will explore more tomorrow and see if I can find a way to fix your issue.

Merry Christmas.

I see. I suppose it's a more internal OS X issue than I thought. :| I wonder if there's a setting somewhere that stops it from using shared networks? Maybe it was in a school once and the school put a blocker on it? :| I'm really at the bottom of the barrel for ideas myself here, but I really appreciate all the help you're giving me. At least I don't feel alone! :Smirk: I suppose the best thing to do to fix it would to be to re-install the OS, but as I mentioned before I don't have the install CD. :( Thanks for your help, and please let me know if you find anything else that might help.

Merry Christmas to you too! :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a problem. Going to spend Christmas with my family but later when I return home I intend to mess with 10.1 a bit and see what I can find. Will post back.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay. Thank you. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
Have you tried to use the working computers ethernet cable? Rj45 cables can be straight through or Crossover. Though it shouldn't really make a difference due to it being a router. Another thing I would try is to move the cable over a port to the working known port with the G3. Those routers are really ****** and low quality excuse my language but i've had 3 fail on me and went to my Aiport extreme and have been using this one for years trouble free.

Also another thing to consider. Do you have your router set to mac address blocking of any kind? I know I set my router up to assign certain IP addresses to my mac addresses only and block all other mac addresses from making any connection to the router. thus creating a 169 defaulted self assigned IP.

After all things considered and settings checked. I would come to assume that possibly your ethernet port is not operating correctly. But I would definately try those options above that I suggested. You've already attempted to change your IP and whatnot as I see in previous posts.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried to use the working computers ethernet cable? Rj45 cables can be straight through or Crossover. Though it shouldn't really make a difference due to it being a router. Another thing I would try is to move the cable over a port to the working known port with the G3. Those routers are really ****** and low quality excuse my language but i've had 3 fail on me and went to my Aiport extreme and have been using this one for years trouble free.

Also another thing to consider. Do you have your router set to mac address blocking of any kind? I know I set my router up to assign certain IP addresses to my mac addresses only and block all other mac addresses from making any connection to the router. thus creating a 169 defaulted self assigned IP.

After all things considered and settings checked. I would come to assume that possibly your ethernet port is not operating correctly. But I would definately try those options above that I suggested. You've already attempted to change your IP and whatnot as I see in previous posts.

I have tried working ethernet cables and all of the ports on the router. I don't think I have any Mac address blocking on my router, as I have reset it several times, and unless something like that is "auto enabled" I haven't turned it on. I know the Ethernet port works as the G3 browses fine with just the modem plugged in. :| Thanks for the suggestions though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" , 21.5" iMac i5, White iPhone 4s 32gig, iPad 3 white 16 gig, i5 Mac Mini
That is really strange indeed. I've had a few instances where it just didn't want to work on mine. But i've just played with it and it works. I wish I could tell you what is wrong but thats really messed up that your router won't give your computer an IP address. I'd have to look at it personally to see what was going on but most people aren't anywhere near me lol.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is really strange indeed. I've had a few instances where it just didn't want to work on mine. But i've just played with it and it works. I wish I could tell you what is wrong but thats really messed up that your router won't give your computer an IP address. I'd have to look at it personally to see what was going on but most people aren't anywhere near me lol.

I am very sure it's something with his 10.1 install. 10.1 is a very different OSX BTW. Even 10.2 is way different in the library folders and networking. I have not had the time as I have company over but will mess with it later and get back to this thread.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think its time that I invested in an older Cac machine to diagnose these older problems!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think its time that I invested in an older Cac machine to diagnose these older problems!

Agreed 100%! That is why I have kept some of the older Macs.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I am very sure it's something with his 10.1 install. 10.1 is a very different OSX BTW. Even 10.2 is way different in the library folders and networking. I have not had the time as I have company over but will mess with it later and get back to this thread.

Yup. I'm normally really good with solving networking issues too, but this has to be the weirdest internet problem that I have ever seen. :( It has everything that it should need to connect. I'm not sure if it's the router not sending the G3 a signal, or if the G3 isn't accepting it... :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
iMac G3 set manually:
IP - 192.168.0.102
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0
Router - 192.168.0.1
In theory, the G3 should work fine with that manual address right?

I'm following this thread with great interest.
[background - as posted earlier, I've been unable to get either a G5 PPC iMac or and Intel Macbook to connect to the 'net via a Belkin router. From what I've been told, it is a modem/router configuration problem. Both Macs 'see' the Belkin, but there's no connection beyond that.]

The IP number quoted above has me puzzled. In setting up numerous wired modem/router units (OS 10.3 onwards), I've always used 192.168.1.x etc. In looking through all MD's posts and responses thereto, I cannot find mention of that numeral 1 (other than by me). What happens when you use, for example, 192.168.1.1. Try messing about with the final numeral(s), but make sure you leave the '1' intact.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.