• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

If given a chance, whom would you vote for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Samsung 19" Monitor, 250 GB WD My Book, 16 GB iPod Touch
Seriously? They cover a pretty big area of the political spectrum. What more could you ask? Will you EVER vote again?

Does it really? As a conservative, Hillary and Obama are way out of line with my views to get my vote. McCain is just as bad. Romney would get my vote if he were to become the Republican candidate, but I'm not going to give my vote to somebody who does not deserve it simply for the sake of voting. Personally, I was hoping that Newt Gingrich would make a run this time around, but that didn't happen...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Does it really? As a conservative, Hillary and Obama are way out of line with my views to get my vote. McCain is just as bad. Romney would get my vote if he were to become the Republican candidate, but I'm not going to give my vote to somebody who does not deserve it simply for the sake of voting. Personally, I was hoping that Newt Gingrich would make a run this time around, but that didn't happen...

Ah, didn't realize you were THAT conservative. Yeah, you don't have many choices this election.

Not that I'm crying about it :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I think whoever is president next time needs to start focusing on domestic issues such as the economic realities the US is in, the health system, immigration (and I mean more from the stance of how much we rely on it, not 'how bad' it is) and making moves to rebuild bridges internationally. I think the best person at doing that would be Obama, but I think Clinton would do the same, but more subtely and more 'politically'.

The thing that worries me about McCain, is that he is just about the only candidate still standing, who thinks that invading Iraq was a good and necessary act, and that we should remain there. I just don't think he'll shift direction enough to get the US moving again in other areas.

Reaction score
That's where I'm at. None of them are worthy so it's looking like I will sit this election out.

Hmmm, gotta love a citizen of the 'most free and democratic' nation on earth denying themselves their democratic and free right to vote just because those on offer aren't good enough 'this time around'...We really do get the governments we deserve, do we not:Smirk: ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Samsung 19" Monitor, 250 GB WD My Book, 16 GB iPod Touch
Hmmm, gotta love a citizen of the 'most free and democratic' nation on earth denying themselves their democratic and free right to vote just because those on offer aren't good enough 'this time around'...We really do get the governments we deserve, do we not:Smirk: ?
Ok, okay, Pet peeve, but still. We DO NOT live in a democracy. We live in a republic. Sorry about that, but it really irks me.

Also, I believe that everyone's vote means something, and it shouldn't be thrown away on someone just for the sake of voting. I am not planning on sitting the election out, but I will not be voting for Hillary/Obama/McCain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Ok, okay, Pet peeve, but still. We DO NOT live in a democracy. We live in a republic. Sorry about that, but it really irks me.

Representative Democracy. It is a form of democracy. We are also considered a Republic. So, while you are not wrong, neither is rockonsc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
McCain for me. I really only disagree with his immigration policy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Representative Democracy. It is a form of democracy. We are also considered a Republic. So, while you are not wrong, neither is rockonsc.
I'm not going to argue with what you are saying. I just have a problem with the connotation that "democracy" brings to the table. Although there is an important difference to consider between a representative democracy and a republic. In a representative democracy, what the majority of the representatives says is final and there is no means to override the will of the majority. In a republic, you have the ability to deal with tyrrany of the majority through the legal system. The whole idea of "majority rule" is terrible. A true democracy is an awful idea, and that is why I feel it is important to stress that we live in a republic rather than a democracy.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I'm not going to argue with what you are saying.

good. i'm starting to think i'm hearing a broken record between the two of you (and a couple others). ;P

maybe you should hand out pamphlets to people voting that tuesday. i'm not sure on what, but i'm sure you can think of some good things. like "common sense". ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Ron Paul gets my vote!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
not any more. ;P did you caucus for him last tuesday?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
I am voting here in WI.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ah ha! you fooled me! ;P

Reaction score
I may be writing-in Mickey Mouse. I have a very low opinion of most of the candidates and of the state of our government in general.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
I like Ron Paul,but the media doesn't give him enough coverage.The guy doesn't even take his pay he gives it back.How many others do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 Dual USB 600MHz
I would vote for Clinton

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
I like Ron Paul,but the media doesn't give him enough coverage.The guy doesn't even take his pay he gives it back.How many others do that?

He also puts pork in bills that are going to pass and votes against them. How many others do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 24 Inch
Agree up to a point

Let's see, vote for someone I despise just for the sake of doing it or waste my time and gas going to write in a person that has a zero percent chance of winning.

No thanks.

I'm not giving my vote away because it's too important. I'm done holding my nose and voting for the lesser of evils. To me that's far more insulting than sitting out the election.

I'm not the only one protesting this way either, I talk to people every day that are sick of the two party system and sick of the DNC and GOP strong arming everyone... then giving us crumby candidates.

I agree except that the President only signs bill and laws. Therefore we need to elect the correct people to do that. In some states there are other items on the ballot also.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.