• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

If Apple made a touch-screen notebook would you buy it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,2GHz, 18GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT
No.

The fingerprints would drive me crazy on bigger screen. iPhone I can live with the fingerprints.

That´s the only reason I would not buy it. If they could invent something to stop the fingerprints complitely, then I would buy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I'd wait... Price would be the main thing that would make me hesitate. For now I'm happy with my iMac + Wacom...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.83 C2D / 4 GB ( installed ) / 80 GB
Voted a BIG NO Thanks

My macbook replaced a TX series HP Laptop ( Touchscreen models ) Huge drive , max memory - Thing was horrible , Not a touchscreen fan

Reaction score
I find it rather shocking that the poll puts the No's above Yes's.

I have no doubt that whatever Apple may/may not bring out will be extremely good looking and also will have killer features. These killer features will almost certainly be brought down by some sort of major turn off, say, 1 usb port...

I can't wait to see what Apple has in store this year, Netbook, Newton re-birth (well that's been about since the Ark) and also two new iPhones apprantly.

Reaction score
lol I voted NO. I wouldn't like a touch screen netbook, laptop, computer. Just to difficult. Your hand is always in the way!

Reaction score
JT12 It wouldn't take much to move it out of the way, say like 0.3 seconds and 0.0000000000000001kj of energy.

I would prefer some sort of touchscreen on my iMac, i very much like the idea of touching icons instead of dragging a cursor to them. It cuts to the chase IMO.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
JT12 It wouldn't take much to move it out of the way, say like 0.3 seconds and 0.0000000000000001kj of energy.

I would prefer some sort of touchscreen on my iMac, i very much like the idea of touching icons instead of dragging a cursor to them. It cuts to the chase IMO.

That's one of those things that sounds great in theory, but doesn't work out in practice. Touchscreens are greasy, dirty, nasty messes. Also, who wants to reach across a desk, over their keyboard and past the mouse, just to get to the item you need to select.

Touch screens are nothing new, they've been around since the 80's. They never took off in the consumer market for a reason.

Reaction score
They are only greasy mess's if you let them get like that. I'm pretty sure that's the same "complaint" about the Mighty Mouse. "Hey, my scroll ball died because I rolled a ton of Dorito sludge into it". Just treat your possessions with respect, you will be rewarded.

Touchscreens have been about for a long time, but capacitive touch screens have not really became commonplace until recently, and as far as I can tell, they do something all precursor touch screens couldn't do...they work.

Again, your desk set-up might not warrant a touch screen, but mine were my keyboard is almost directly below my iMac, and my iMac almost right in front of my face, seems to lend itself to that.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
They are only greasy mess's if you let them get like that. I'm pretty sure that's the same "complaint" about the Mighty Mouse. "Hey, my scroll ball died because I rolled a ton of Dorito sludge into it". Just treat your possessions with respect, you will be rewarded.

Touchscreens have been about for a long time, but capacitive touch screens have not really became commonplace until recently, and as far as I can tell, they do something all precursor touch screens couldn't do...they work.

Again, your desk set-up might not warrant a touch screen, but mine were my keyboard is almost directly below my iMac, and my iMac almost right in front of my face, seems to lend itself to that.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one - I just don't see it taking off. It's one thing if you're talking about an input device - you know, something that you don't have to look at high resolution images on all the time. Even with the cleanest hands in the world, you're still going to have fingerprints and streaks.

Also, aside from a pointing gesture, I can't imagine manipulating objects on a screen that is perpendicular to a work surface. Maybe for painting, but it would be cumbersome and unnatural using gestures like expand/shrink and rotate.

Reaction score
TouchMac

If Apple were to make a touch screen based version of their MacBook that was more like a Tablet PC I would buy it in a heart beat. I am an artist who loves to play in the digital realm and I would be GLAD to say goodbye to paper sketch books for good. I would love to carry around a 7"-9" version of the mac in my HipHolster and whip it out at my local Diner and draw till my hearts content or till the battery dies on me. It would also serve as a wonderful replacement for a lot of other small consumer electronics that I currently own. Such as my e-reader (that I don't use), and my drawing tablet. It would also provide a possible solution for photo-manipulations in a big way. One could possibly take a photo (like maybe a 5"x7") with a built in camera (provided it faced the right direction) and run photoshop on the spot to edit it and make a post card customized for a friend who is sick, or for while on vacation. A full sized NoteBook product is great for a long list of things, but can in effect be too bulky for some small day to day things. If you have a psp and the camera attachment you could possibly do some of what I just listed, and have it all done in the palm of your hand. (Yes I realize sony probably doesn't make a good software for this application and you'd have to do some custom OS for this, but the hardware is the discussion). If I had a TouchMac Or however you'd name it, I'd put it to a great deal of uses.

Reaction score
cwa107 Yeah man, I'm not saying the whole experience is touch screen, but for surfing the web, to me, touch screen seems to lend itself. Your only pressing links 9/10 of the time. So maybe aspects of the OS could be touch screen. For more intensive stuff, touch screen will never take off. It just doesn't offer the accuracy of the pointer (im thinking photoshop stuff).

aidenconri Great post, and shows how a MacTouch (?) could be used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro
I wouldn't even think about it. I would buy it.

Reaction score
I like to be adventurous, so I would definitely be open to the possibility.... if the price was right (or at least NEAR right). I wouldn't pay 5k or something kind of ridiculous like that for a touchscreen notebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.2 GHZ, 4 GB ram, 120 GB HD
I would - only if the technology was "hardy" - meaning it wasn't presented in a 3 lb "dainty" shell(ie the air, eww). Most of the tablets I've seen have been 13" and I think that is the perfect size for a tablet pc. A mac tablet would be an interesting idea mostly because I'd love to see the awesome technology apple comes up with for the rotation of the monitor.... it would be stunning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I can't help myself but have an image of something similar to if the Nintendo DSi merged with a macbook. Dual screen and the glass touchpad would be like the DS's one. Instead of a mouse click, you double tap to open folders etc.

And the top screen would work just as it does now on macbooks. It could act like a standard macbook now or it could be the bottom screen as a touch screen with stylus as mouse and the top screen as a secondary window where a 2nd document or whatever could be. Largely uneditable but swapping the screens between the two would be easy. Just another application of the exposé/spaces technology.

Something like that I'd buy in an instant. For one reason really. I find it a little tricky to use. That's why I always use a mouse with my friends laptop. But the stylus would be much easier to use. Like it is for the DS.

How this would work with multi touch I dunno. But you could have little squiggles or circles with the stylus to emulate the current multi touch's features. It works rather well in many DS games I've played.

Reaction score
DSmac?

I can't help myself but have an image of something similar to if the Nintendo DSi merged with a macbook. Dual screen and the glass touchpad would be like the DS's one. Instead of a mouse click, you double tap to open folders etc.

This would be a total mis-step for mac/apple. Not only would it add extra hardware for one to lose, but it would also be come reliant on a very out modded type of tech. The days of the stylus and easy to rip/tear plastic screen are all but gone. (Not that I won't probably buy the DSi; 'cause dear gods is it sexy), but for most of us we look at the near future and see things like high glossy glass surfaces that we can touch, feel, and hopefully not break, that make us feel like we are adults playing with grown up toys, and not well toys. Though the possibility of say a "dual screen" mac, that might open like a book or could be set up as like a DS/DSi where the bottom is finder and the top would be your actual document, might be useful, the idea of having a screen made like the DS would be quantum leap back wards. Why would a company who has pioneered a multi-touch culture ever want to go back to things like PDA Graffiti? Ever try writing your name clearly on that annoying little screen for credit cards while at Worst Deal or Carbon Copy and it not be able to keep up?

I am in full support of a MacBook Touch, something that might resemble the already existing "ModBook" in functionality, but if it were to be totally reliant on the stylus and would require overtly complex gestures to do basic functions, why bother using anything but a mouse? (Granted, trying to remember all the current gestures on my MacBook can get a little thick), but they are for the most part second nature now. However, if my MacBook suddenly became like playing Okami (on the wii especially), where I had to be able to make a perfect circle around an icon while drunk, I'd kill somebody with the stylus for irony sake I'm sure. I would probably use something like a wacom pen or the iPhone Sketch stylus for exact things like drawing, but for everyday functions, I =hate= using my wacom tablet as a mouse replacement. Sadly, this is what using a dual screen set up would be like. One screen you can touch and manipulate (i.e. like brain age on the DS), and the other screen you'd have to guess as to when the cursor will run out of room to move cause you had to drag it from too near the top of the bottom screen. Would you then use a mechanical button to ensure that if you had to readjust your "grip" on the file - so you wouldn't accidentally delete the file or lose it in another stack? Or would you then rely on the aforementioned multi-touch parameters to allow for a "Click" while you "drag" with the stylus. Something that the DS can't (as far as I'm aware) handle doing. Over all, I'd agree, yes a DS or DSi running Leopard would rock! However, the application beyond novelty would wear thin in about 15 minutes,(or maybe after 3 shots of jaggermeister?), and venture quickly into frustration.

Reaction score
I would never get one of these because I like an actual keyboard and prefer tactile "clicky" keyboards to the new "mushy" ones included with just about any computer made this decade.

If I had it my way, there would be an IBM Model M keyboard included with every computer and built into every laptop. Touch screens are not for me, as I like to actually type and not punch in letters with a stylus, and prefer to have that tactile feeling not included in modern keyboards (although I will admit to liking the Apple Pro Keyboard's feel; I wish they'd bring it back for us old-school users who got started with echoing Apple II keyboards twenty years ago and don't appreciate paper-thin keys).

If there was a touch component on a Macbook I'd like for it to be in the form of a graphics tablet. I remember seeing an iBook rigged up to some device some time ago and always thought Apple would be wise to include this directly in their displays.

Reaction score
I voted yes because I really want a Net Book kind of device with a 7 to 10 inch screen. I travel a lot for work and am then stuck with my awful Lenovo standard issue PC from work :-((((
I want an ultra light mac when I am on the road, but the Mac Book Air is not for me. For that money I would buy a normal Mac Book, but then it is not ultra light.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.