how to open a file in preview

OP
C
Reaction score
i put in the command and it says searching computer. It has been going like this for 20/ 25 minutes. Not sure what that means.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That shouldn't be happening. To clarify:

1) Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app
2) Copy and paste the following command:
Code:
/Applications/Preview.app/Contents/MacOS/Preview

That should open up Preview if nothing is wrong and if something is, something should be output to the Terminal window. If something is wrong, what does it say?

Reaction score
Maybe I was'nt doing it right. Is that under file, edit, view,etc.?

I may be wrong, but I think you dropped the command that vansmith gave you onto Spotlight, if so let's start over.

On the bottom of your screen in the Dock you will see "Finder" on the Left end. Yours may be a blue smiley face, but it should be the 1st on the left.

Picture 2.jpg

Reaction score
OOPS I clicked on the wrong button

1: when finder opens make sure it is in Column view, like #1
2: click on Applications, like #2
3: scroll down to "Utilities" like #3
4: Scroll down to "Terminal.app" and double click on it, like #4
5: When Terminal opens paste in the command vansmith gave you and hit enter.

Picture 4.jpg

OP
C
Reaction score
I clickd on the finder icon nothing happened. Is their another way to open?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Does anything open for you? It sounds like this problem may not be limited to Preview. What happens (if any) when you click on the Finder icon?

OP
C
Reaction score
When i click button on left nothing happens. When I click with button on the right of mouse it says Mac g4 pwer mac agp graphics

Reaction score
Finder may need to be Relaunched.
At the top left hand corner of your screen click on the  Apple icon.Next click on Force Quit. A dialog box will open, click on Finder and then click on the Relaunch button. If that doesn't fix Finder it may be time to repair permissions.

OP
C
Reaction score
I tried that and let it sit awhile nothing happened then I tried relaunch/ force quit again. Still nothing.

Reaction score
This is starting to look like you may need to do a reinstall of OS X.
But first lets try to Zap the pRam, this is done by turning off the computer, then holding down "option, command, p, and r", during start up. Hold these keys down and wait for 3 start up chimes and then let go. The computer will boot like normal, the pRAM will be clear. Hopefully this will fix Finder, if not we'll try setting up a new account see how that works.:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This is starting to look like you may need to do a reinstall of OS X.
But first lets try to Zap the pRam, this is done by turning off the computer, then holding down "option, command, p, and r", during start up. Hold these keys down and wait for 3 start up chimes and then let go. The computer will boot like normal, the pRAM will be clear. Hopefully this will fix Finder, if not we'll try setting up a new account see how that works.:)

I would sooner recommend creating a new account and testing the same functionality with that new account.

UNIX-based operating systems like OS X almost never require a reinstall. This is a bad habit carried over from the Windows world. OS X is simply not susceptible to "Windows rot", which is mainly caused by corrupted registries.

Reaction score
I would sooner recommend creating a new account and testing the same functionality with that new account.

UNIX-based operating systems like OS X almost never require a reinstall. This is a bad habit carried over from the Windows world. OS X is simply not susceptible to "Windows rot", which is mainly caused by corrupted registries.

I agree, but after 3 days and still no Finder I don't know where to go if a new account doesn't work. Maybe try to repair permissions from the install disk, but I have never done that, so maybe you or someone else can walk him through that first.

OP
C
Reaction score
How does one create a new account? Not sure what that even means to be honest with you.

OP
C
Reaction score
So does this mean I will lose everthing on this account? I don't understand how this would fix Finder. If someone could please explain .

Reaction score
No, you can have as many accounts as you need and switch back and forth anytime you want. Just don't delete your account.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What have you done with your Mac recently? Have you installed anything? It seems odd that things just stopped working for no apparent reason.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have another account on this computer and finder does'nt do anything when I click it. So I guess I don't understand how a new account is going to help open Finder. I admit i don't know very much about this stuff but i just don't understand how that would work. Not sure if it can be explained or not?

OP
C
Reaction score
I installed software for an HP deskjet D1520 printer back in Feburary. I have two icons on my dock on my right hand side one says Hp Device Manager and other says HP PHOTOSMART Studio. Not suree if this would effect anything or not?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.