How to Disable Auto OS Updates

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My problem Lori is that I need to be reminded of the reminders I set on my calendar. It's tough as I get older it seems my memory wants to go on vacation! :p

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
My problem Lori is that I need to be reminded of the reminders I set on my calendar. It's tough as I get older it seems my memory wants to go on vacation! :p
yes me too..... Pretty sad as we get older that we can't remember things as well. So I don't think it's because we're getting older and ageing, I think it's because we're learning more and have so many things in our brain that are filing cabinets are getting clogged up I need to be oiled?

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks will do this update today and then turn off updates all together.
then will have to check every now and then updates.

well i started this update today 1:40 .... seems to be taking quite a long time. There's a coloured ball circling up on the top left-hand corner. The bar in the middle said it's updating and says it has a minute to go and it hasn't moved it's supposed to be progressing along..p is it supposed to be this long of an update?
i have macbook plugged in!

i sure hope it isnt hung up.... i think i did a TM back up on jan 2 or 3rd...

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

i posted to another about thus upgrade issue im gsving!
started at 1:40 PM today and it is now almost 230 it's still running. It doesn't seem to have much movement on the slider bar in the middle of the screen. Top left-hand corner has a coloured swirling ball. MacBook is plugged into power.
hope im not hung up!!!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There is one other way although it is entirely dependent on your storage options. I was not ready to update to Catalina when I started getting notifications to do so back in 2019 so I just downloaded the upgrade, quit the installer when it tried to run and kept the installer in my Applications folder till I was ready.
I later realised that it was backed up on my CCC clone so I deleted it from my Macintosh HD.
This is a kind of "out of left field" solution but it stopped the annoying notifications.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hmm, this sounds familiar.
To the group; Didn't we have another OP with the same problem recently?

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i think that may have been me.... sorry i had posted my issue replying to another member... sorry was because i attached a pic of the updates!

im just hoping when I wake up tomorrow morning everything will be OK. If not I'm sure I will have some posts from some of the people on this site.

I have already contacted my tech person to standby if I need his help.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so do i perform task and press off button?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
You can change the type of Notification to Alerts. This will leave the Notification on the screen until dismissed/acknowledged.

OP
lori5060
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can change the type of Notification to Alerts. This will leave the Notification on the screen until dismissed/acknowledged.

turning iff my notification alerts is the least of my problems at the moment. Currently my laptop is not working at all it's at a standstill blank screen with a white Apple logo in the centre and a progression screen that supposed to be doing my software update....

im waiting for some guidance from Mac forum!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@lori:

I see that Jake has given you some good guidance on how to recover. The reason we didn't reply to you about the security update is that like you, we were waiting to see if it would complete.

When it appears that an update is hung up, it's best to reboot the machine. Of course, you know that before doing that you will need to make sure you have a good backup. Hopefully, you've been making backups with Time Machine and maybe either CCC or Superduper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel i3 10th gen quad-core 256GB SSD 8GB RAM
Use this command -
Code:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate AutomaticDownload -boolean FALSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.