How much RAM is enough?

D

dstyrk

Kokopelli said:
So you only have 70MB free. How much is "Active" and how much is "Inactive?" If the majority of it is inactive then this is fine, even desirable. What this means is that OS X is keeping the stuff it thinks you will need in the future in memory. If it is active then it means that OS X thinks the memory is still in use by some active program. It might be a problem, it might not.

While not quite related, there could be a memory leak somewhere. A memory leak is when an application allocates memory for something but never deallocates it. This will cause an application to use more memory than it should. Can an application chew uup memory and the memory never get returned to the OS, even after the application is closed? Not easily. OS X uses virtual memory space for the most part so while hard leaks are not unknown, they are not common anymore either.

Look at this.

View attachment Picture 1.pdf

M

meatychi

Cheers Miskool

I got me a 1GB stick on its way for £121.03!

Better than the £340 option that apple provides!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
benjamindaines said:
I have 768mbs but if you plan on using VPC the you should deffenetly max out your RAM. LimeWire takes alot too

on my 1.67 Ghz Powerbook, Limewire uses roughly 65mb Ram. It really isn't that bad.

Virtual PC will use a ton however. A better alternative could be to just buy a Cheap PC. I have a good PC on my wireless network, and whenever I need to use a PC Program, I can use the Remote Desktop Connection to run the PC software on the PC, and show it on my Powerbook. It's not as good as having the software with me when I travel, but it has worked for me until I go out and get the Mac versions of software I need.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.