How does everyone feel about the rumored new larger iPhone 6?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon
I'm not a fan of bigger screens. The 5S is the biggest I'd prefer. I was fine with the screen size of the 4S, but with the thinner profile, and lighter weight of the 5S, I was able to justify the larger screen. Any larger would be a hassle to carry around for me. A compact, relatively discreet smartphone is ideal.

I've played around with Galaxy Note, put in my back pocket (where my iphone is usually carried around in), in my inside jacket pocket, and single sling backpack (phone pouch). The Galaxy Note screen size is 5.3", between the two rumored sizes of the iPhone 6. And I found it was just too big and uncomfortable in my back pocket. My pants felt like it was being tugged down as I walked. You can see the noticeable bulge in my jacket. And it would even fit in the cellphone pouch of my backpack (my 5S fits perfectly). Not to mention, I use my iPhone with one hand most of the time. And reaching your thumb across from bottom left to top right of the screen is already a reach. That makes me fumble the phone every so often.

Let's face it, most people who have a smartphone, don't use it very often for actual phone calls. It's all texting, taking pics, and social media. So that in mind, if I wanted a bigger screen for these, I'd get a pad device instead. The iPad, iPad mini, Galaxy Tab. Personally, I don't need a bigger screen to do the same things everyone else does, that wants a bigger screen. It's all about portability and discretion for me. And the 5S size is just right.

Hopefully, Apple decides to keep the 4" display standard, and just offer a larger one for those that want it. Choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon
Don't text and drive. I don't care how large or small the thing is, it's illegal and dangerous!!!

My friend has his android while driving set up all Wireless Bluetooth and he never even touches his phone and keeps his hands on the wheel where they should be.

It's not the hands that are the concern. It's where your eyes are at when your driving. ;-)

A lot can happen in one sec, driving at 35 mph. Reaction time decreases drastically the faster you go. And I've done rudimentary tests. On average, when people look down at their phones, they are looking down anywhere from 8 sec - 20 sec before they look up to see where they are going. So if a lot can happen in one sec...doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that out.

Rule of thumb, if your driving, and the car is moving just DON'T bother with your phone. If it's THAT important, then it's it should be important enough to pull over, park, and use your phone. If it isn't, then you should be able to ignore it, until you park. All it takes is some consideration of others, and a little common sense. Sadly, most people these days have been conditioned to forget those two things.

The more technology advances, the more people become stupid. That's fact. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 3,1, 8-core Xeon
I posted something about this on my blog titled, How Big should it be?

How Big Should it Be?… | Julx's Blog

I concur with your blog. All the glitz and glam in the world doesn't make up for the convenience, efficiency, and portability. I would rather have a fully functional, stable, reliable smartphone that doesn't have all the bells and whistles (which most are useless to me), than a smartphone that has everything on the outside, but lacks sorely on true functionality.

My take on technology, and I love technology, it's a TOOL. And like any other tool (ie. Hammer, Saw, Scissors, etc.), it's only as good as the person who uses it. Would one put on a hammer ergonomic grips, flashing lights to indicate the hammer struck the nail, a counter to show how many times you struck the nail, and retractable head to reach higher areas to nail? Sure, these are funky ideas, but it takes away from the true purpose of the hammer. You don't need all that to make a hammer useful. All you need to do is make it durable, strudy, strong, yet light. That's it.

I'm old school, with love of new tech, but I'm still a practical guy through and through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
I concur with your blog. All the glitz and glam in the world doesn't make up for the convenience, efficiency, and portability. I would rather have a fully functional, stable, reliable smartphone that doesn't have all the bells and whistles (which most are useless to me), than a smartphone that has everything on the outside, but lacks sorely on true functionality.

My take on technology, and I love technology, it's a TOOL. And like any other tool (ie. Hammer, Saw, Scissors, etc.), it's only as good as the person who uses it. Would one put on a hammer ergonomic grips, flashing lights to indicate the hammer struck the nail, a counter to show how many times you struck the nail, and retractable head to reach higher areas to nail? Sure, these are funky ideas, but it takes away from the true purpose of the hammer. You don't need all that to make a hammer useful. All you need to do is make it durable, strudy, strong, yet light. That's it.

I'm old school, with love of new tech, but I'm still a practical guy through and through.
Its so true.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I would rather have a fully functional, stable, reliable smartphone that doesn't have all the bells and whistles (which most are useless to me), than a smartphone that has everything on the outside, but lacks sorely on true functionality.
What does size have to do with this? How is a phone that's larger somehow less functional, less stable and less reliable? Size has very little to do with the quality of the phone.

OP
S
Reaction score
Steve Jobs liked to keep things simple and one of the ways of doing that was to keep the iPhone at one size and at 4 inches. I acknowledge that Steve is the ultimate business genius and I credit him for what he has done for Apple but this does not make sense to me.

How I understand it is 1) in most, if not all, fields of business, an entity must adapt itself to the environment and trend and 2) it is advantageous to give consumer variety. Different people have different tastes, not to mention hand sizes and visual capabilities.

Perhaps Steve wanted to keep it at one size is that producing more than one size will somehow increase overhead costs but that's all I can think of. What other motive can it be for. Why keep it so simple that it has limitations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
What does size have to do with this? How is a phone that's larger somehow less functional, less stable and less reliable? Size has very little to do with the quality of the phone.
Its simple... If you were walking with a cup of coffee in your hand and phone in the other, would you be able to type message or something on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2?
I know I can do it with my iPhone. I couldn't do it when I used the Sony Xperia. Too wide.

Keeping the phone to one size wasn't just something about costs. If that was the case, why did Apple ever create the iPad mini?
According to Steve on the 1st iPhone keynote, the phone's screen size was purposely and scientifically designed to fit in the hand for one handed use, by EVERYONE; not just someone with long fingers or large hands.

Size has everything to do with the quality of the usage experience. What we're mostly talking about is why the need for a large screen on a phone? Since when does having a phone that is hard to put in your pocket a good thing? As I said my blog article, most users use their smartphones for Whatsapp, email and Facebook and twitter status posts. This is what I use my smartphone for. I've seen people do that on their ancient blackberries with so much ease and still do.
OK, the occasional take a pic and post in instagram. As I see it, I don't need an overly large screen for that. If that was the case, why don't camera manufacturers like Nikon and Canon put large screens on their cameras?
Most Android users argue that some people like to read on their phones and browse the web. No, they lie; that is a only a handful of users.

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
What vansmith is conveying is that there is no correlation with the size of the phone and the quality of it. The ability to type with one hand depends on hand size and the preference of typing with one hand depends on preference itself, not quality of the phone per se.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Its simple... If you were walking with a cup of coffee in your hand and phone in the other, would you be able to type message or something on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2?
I know I can do it with my iPhone. I couldn't do it when I used the Sony Xperia. Too wide.
Perhaps but that's a subjective call. Beyond that, larger phones such as the Note have single hand functionality (see the keyboard shift here). The phone is adaptable and meets the needs of both one and two handed users. This isn't for everyone and I'm certainly not trying to sell you on a larger device but making the claim that larger is unquestioningly more difficult to use forgets that things can and are accounted for in development and testing. I can provide a personal example: the iPhone 5(s) is 1.94 inches wide (screen size) while my phone has a screen that is 2.57 inches wide (again, screen size). It is more than usable with one hand and in fact, the I'd argue that it's easier to reach things since everything has more space and thus, things are easier to hit.

You could take this to the logical extreme as well. What would be easier to use, a screen that is 2 inches wide or one that is 1/10 inch wide? Suggesting that increased size automatically means a worsened user experience forgets that size is not only relative but it works both ways (small and large).

As for the other bits, suggesting that it is less stable and reliable is a stretch. If that were true, the iPhone 5s would be, without question, less reliable and less stable than a 4s solely because it's larger. That's a bit of a stretch (insert joke about Apple simply stretching their phones...).

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I see him talking about the "Quality of the USER experience" and not the phone itself. If you can not use Phone A but can use phone B, then Phone B is the one you should purchase. A excellent piece of hardware is wasted if one can not use it for their needs.

I have 2 issues that overlap. My eyes are not what they used to be and that screams Larger Screen, but if it's too large to fit the cloths I wear, then it ceases to be the Phone I need with me all the time to make and receive phone calls.

I have not been able to yet test the s5 but it's a quality phone for sure. If I can fit it easily where I need to fit it, then it will be the next phone for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well said dtravis7.
The main point that I'm trying to make is that Apple did the research and designed something that able to be used by everyone. Kind of like a one size fits all thing. I don't see why they should follow a trend of making phones bigger.
Apple has always been known for setting trends, not following them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And who cares? Never ever used the iPhone.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The main point that I'm trying to make is that Apple did the research and designed something that able to be used by everyone.
Except for myself and the large swaths of the population that find the iPhone too small including Apple (see here). ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes todays Apple without Jobs. A very different place than when Jobs was there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Egad! I can't even picture trying to type while walking and carrying a cup of coffee. Why not dictate instead with Siri so you can watch where you are going? That would also render the screen size moot.

Keeping the phone to one size wasn't just something about costs. If that was the case, why did Apple ever create the iPad mini?

Responding to market demands? It was a LOT lighter, and at the least is better suited for children than the full sized one is.

According to Steve on the 1st iPhone keynote, the phone's screen size was purposely and scientifically designed to fit in the hand for one handed use, by EVERYONE; not just someone with long fingers or large hands.

I'm pretty sure he didn't say that. There was a lot of speculation in the years since then as other phones got bigger that this was the reason, and someone mapped it out to show that it appeared to be sized for one-handed operation. Citations needed here if you want to claim Jobs actually said that then.

I just continue to be baffled over why anyone thinks Apple shouldn't or wouldn't come out with a larger iPhone. Has it not occurred to anyone that it is perfectly possible for them to sell 2 sizes simultaneously? They do with the iPad now, even though they started out with just one size. And just how long have they been supporting 2 sizes of iPhone simultaneously now (the 4S is still being sold)? And before that, 2 of the same size with different resolutions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Phones are getting to big! Might as well get a tablet.

I hope Apple don't remove the option of still buying a iphone4s as the size is nice for some people and if it is removed Apple users are forced to buy larger phones. . I could go up to the iphone 5s with it's 4" screen but no bigger.

For me I don't put it in pockets, as I sit in a wheelchair I just push the phone under my leg or hold it in my hand.

I use my iphone 4s as a phone, not a computer or tablet! I text, use some apps like facebook and some graphic apps to edit photos. I use my ipad for games, email, facebook, texting, skype, reading through the odd magazines, movies and I take it with me where I don't have access to a computer. Otherwise I use my imac. So for me I won't use a phone for 'everything'.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just continue to be baffled over why anyone thinks Apple shouldn't or wouldn't come out with a larger iPhone. Has it not occurred to anyone that it is perfectly possible for them to sell 2 sizes simultaneously? They do with the iPad now, even though they started out with just one size. And just how long have they been supporting 2 sizes of iPhone simultaneously now (the 4S is still being sold)? And before that, 2 of the same size with different resolutions?

I agree. It seems the more Apple diversifies the more they sell. I'm perfectly happy with the size of my iPhone 5c and besides with my old eyes, the screen would have to be 8 inches before I could read the print without my drugstore 2.5X glasses.

And BTW, I want to thank you for the great tip about being able to download the Apple iOS apps for free if you have a new iPhone. Although I didn't download all of them, I did download and install Pages and iPhoto. Heck, that saves $20! ;D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure I understand three critiques of larger screen sizes that I see continually popping up:

1. That anything larger might as well be a tablet. This doesn't make any sense. What is it about the size of the iPhone that makes it perfect? If two sizes are great, wouldn't that suggest that multiple sizes can be good? Why is the size of the iPhone 5(s) the uppermost limit for screen sizes before you have a tablet?

2. That anything larger is utterly unusable. This couldn't be more wrong. People use all sorts of different size phones. Indeed, there are reasons that people buy different sizes phones. At best, this is a personal choice and hardly scientific.

3. The anything larger won't fit into a pocket. Here's me sliding my Nexus 5 into my pocket with plenty of space.

If much of this is personal choice, so be it but that's not really a reason to argue that Apple shouldn't cater to larger groups of (potential) customers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.