How does everyone feel about the rumored new larger iPhone 6?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
5S is about my limit. I wear non-baggy jeans and anything bigger won't work. I've got room for maybe another 1/4" in length and width on a phone, then things will get uncomfortable. I found my Droid X to be one toke over the line in size.

XJ hit the nail on the head. I refuse to wear sagging pants. I like my jeans to fit well. If the phone is too large it's going to be a pain every time I try and pull it out of my pockets.

I will reserve judgement though till the IP6 comes out!

A phone should fit easily in your pocket. If this were a tablet the larger size would be very welcomed.

And yes the larger size screen would be good for my aging eyes! :D Grin

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To be honest I prefer android but i still love macs.
I have a couple of G4s sitting around.
I use an emac G4 10.5 leo for itunes and web surfing but when it comes to 10.9 I use (sad to admit it) a h...h...hackintosh :(. reason is i kant afford a new mac at the moment so I recycled my old gaming rig to a 10.9 mac. It proforms way better than most macs but i would still prefer a real mac kuz of the retina display and the authenticity.

Please no discussion of the Hackintosh. It's against the forum rules. Sorry.

C

chas_m

If I understand the mock-ups for the 4.7-inch size, it is nearly all vertical addition, not horizontal. That would be my preference, I think, to a 5.5-inch (too big to easily use with one hand, and I have bear paws for hands).

That said, I'm keeping an open mind and I'll figure it out when I see it in person.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
XJ hit the nail on the head. I refuse to wear sagging pants. I like my jeans to fit well. If the phone is too large it's going to be a pain every time I try and pull it out of my pockets.
This is built on the assumption that a screen of this size won't fit though no?

If I understand the mock-ups for the 4.7-inch size, it is nearly all vertical addition, not horizontal.
That's a ridiculous design choice. Increasing the size of a phone needs to include both horizontal and vertical increases. Otherwise, you get some weird looking/feeling oblong object.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ever heard of the Golden Ratio (1.618)? That ratio theoretically define all things beautiful in the universe to the human eye.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
That's a ridiculous design choice. Increasing the size of a phone needs to include both horizontal and vertical increases. Otherwise, you get some weird looking/feeling oblong object.

But if they go taller, they can add yet another row of icons! :Cool:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Ever heard of the Golden Ratio (1.618)? That ratio theoretically define all things beautiful in the universe to the human eye.
I have but if the phone is extended and not widened, Apple will be making a phone that deviates even further from the GR than is already is. In fact, it's already further than most smartphones (source) which is only going to be made worse with increased length if they don't adjust the width.

But if they go taller, they can add yet another row of icons! :Cool:
Haha, true. ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is built on the assumption that a screen of this size won't fit though no?

I did say I will wait till it's released to be sure but I know many who have that issue right now with the largest Samsungs and straining to get them in and out of pockets.

Time will tell.

M

MacInWin

I'll wait and see, and my 5s is great, so I won't be looking at the 6 very hard. Probably the 7 (I tend to skip versions). If it goes huge, I'll nurse the 5s as long as I can, even if that means falling behind in software.

C

chas_m

Otherwise, you get some weird looking/feeling oblong object.

You mean like this ridiculous thing?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, like that screenless object. ;)

M

MacInWin

I don't remember that coming in a cordless model.

EDIT: And didn't it have a dock?

Reaction score
As an owner of a Galaxy S4 and iPhonhe 5s i must say a bigger screen is not always helpful unless you are watching movies. When it is time to be functional the iPhone is much more useful. Texting in traffic is easier, dangerous, but easier. Just IMO

OP
S
Reaction score
I was the owner of an S4 too. Did you experience any of these...

1. Siri could detect your voice while in noisier environments?
2. S4 lags behind the iPhone in terms of miliseconds when pressing on Apps to open them
3. The sensitivity iPhone is much greater
4. iPhone Apps are more neatly categorized and easier to access

I can be wrong but do you agree with any of them?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Texting in traffic is easier, dangerous, but easier.
That's reason enough not to use a small phone not to mention that it could very well be illegal (it's a fine and demerit points in Ontario for distracted driving).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Texting in traffic is easier, dangerous, but easier. Just IMO

When you succumb to Darwinism, I just hope I'm in the area solely as a witness, not as an accidental casualty.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Texting in traffic is easier, dangerous, but easier. Just IMO

Texting in traffic is an accident waiting to happen. I usually don't even answer my phone while driving because it's distracting.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't text and drive. I don't care how large or small the thing is, it's illegal and dangerous!!!

My friend has his android while driving set up all Wireless Bluetooth and he never even touches his phone and keeps his hands on the wheel where they should be.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.