hmmmm. leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I also wonder whether I need word installed anymore for just *viewing* DOC files.

I desperately hope that QuickLook uses a plugin architecture, so new document types can be supported with a simple download. There was something on AmigaOS, some kind of viewer, that used plugins to identify and view files. It could view anything in the whole world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I like leopard alot, I will certainly be buying it when it comes out. I probably also will be purchasing a back up drive for my macbook pro for time machine.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I may take the a similar approach as PowerBookG4 and get and external disk and place Tiger on that. Then install Leopard on the internal drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro. 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 running OSX 10.14.6, 16GB Ram
Hmm, those stacks look suspiciously like the tabs you could create in OS 9 that sat at hte bottom of the screen. I thought it was sad they didn't make it to OSX, but now they're back. I gotta say this, after all the Flash bashing that went on, in another thread, about pointless eye candy, etc, i'm surprised by how much OSX is all about eye candy, and clever animations, etc.... Don't get me wrong i LOVE it, just surprised by what a bashing it all got by some of you... thoughts?

Reaction score
The 3D Shelf Style Dock is Amazing. It's useless for single apps but I can imagine having stacks of apps in the dock layering backwards instead of a single 2D icon.

I could create a Browser stack which holds Firefox, Camino, Opera, OmniWeb and Safari. An iLife stack that contains all iLife apps etc... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - iPhone
I LOVE IT! especially the transparent menu bar

ok i gotta get back to work :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
I am kind of sad that they are getting rid of aqua, I like it alot.

Once thing that I am mad about, is that 10.5 will not include anything like Parallels built in to the OS. Just bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Imac
newbie questions
can i install it on my imac? or it comes only in new macs?
how much do you think it will cost?

Thanks O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It will cost $130. You can install it on any recent Mac, probably from well equipped G4s and up.

Reaction score
I REALLY REALLY like Spaces, Time Machine, Quick Look, and the new Ichat. It's like apple went inside my brain and made everything that I ever thought was lagging in an operating system. It's genius. I will be getting an imac to replace my desktop pc when leopard comes out.

Smeshy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
How far back will time machine go? How long will it keep records? Over time that could get quite large! I love the new dock! Something I think they could easily add... different minimizing effects... fade out, iris....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
My thoughts on leopard:
Looks good but I won't be in a rush to upgrade my mac. :) I like what I have now so I'll wait til I have the extra cash to buy leopard. Also, I'm planning on buying an iMac, by the time I get it leopard will already be on it. Then eventually I'll upgrade my MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
Things I dont use in Tiger.
Spotlight. imovie,iphoto,idvd ( I use Pro Apps.) Calender, mail, ichat, Dashboard.

Things I wont use in Leopard:
As above plus:

Cover flow (i dont use it it itunes)

ilook (If i see a File I know what it is and on the rare occasion I have to look at it. opening preview or quicktime is not a bother.)

Spaces: makes no sense to me (I have dual screens and i can only use 1 app at any given time. so expose or command tab is fine).

Stacks: mmm not sure i dont like a heap of crap on my Doc also whats the difference between putting a bunch of files in a folder then putting it in a stack?

Time Machine: waste of time and a hard drive to me. I back up my things. I would also like to know what would happen with time machine if the Ext. HDD. its connected to died?

So for me the only thing that I think is good in the Leopard upgrade is the tweak to Finder (which is not much of a tweak and I still dont think it makes finding and opening things as easy as Vista.). And the Aero like eye candy like transparencies and the colour change in the dock when wallpapers change.

So there is not much there for my purposes.
I think some people will get much more benefit then me though.
Oh I will be buying it regardless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Things I dont use in Tiger.
Spotlight. imovie,iphoto,idvd ( I use Pro Apps.) Calender, mail, ichat, Dashboard.

Things I wont use in Leopard:
As above plus:

Cover flow (i dont use it it itunes)

ilook (If i see a File I know what it is and on the rare occasion I have to look at it. opening preview or quicktime is not a bother.)

Spaces: makes no sense to me (I have dual screens and i can only use 1 app at any given time. so expose or command tab is fine).

Stacks: mmm not sure i dont like a heap of crap on my Doc also whats the difference between putting a bunch of files in a folder then putting it in a stack?

Time Machine: waste of time and a hard drive to me. I back up my things. I would also like to know what would happen with time machine if the Ext. HDD. its connected to died?

So for me the only thing that I think is good in the Leopard upgrade is the tweak to Finder (which is not much of a tweak and I still dont think it makes finding and opening things as easy as Vista.). And the Aero like eye candy like transparencies and the colour change in the dock when wallpapers change.
This is the most honest, pragmatic, practical, and quite frankly the best review I have seen about the impending release of a new Mac operating system.
Bravo!
Just like all of the incarnations of OS X before it, Leopard really doesn't offer too much more than its predecessor. Sure, it is shinier, yes it is filled with bells and whistles galore, but in the end it is still OS X... nothing really new.
I skipped 10.2 when it came out and went right from 10.1.5 to 10.3. I didn't use 10.2 until I got hold of an older PowerBook that came with it.
The only reason I have 10.4 now is because I bought this PowerBook and it was installed on it. The older OS versions and System softwares were no different. System 6 isn't all that different from System 7.5. OS 9 isn't that much of a change from OS 8.

It has been that way for the past 22 years I have been using Macs. Sure those extra "little" things are nice, but when you have been around Apple and Macs as long as I have, you start to see past the smoke and mirrors that Steve Jobs uses to dazzle the fanboys. :D

I see no pressing need to run out and get Leopard in October and nobody is going to suddenly drop support for Tiger when Leopard appears.
I will probably be skipping Leopard unless I happen to do what I have done in the past and purchase a new machine with it pre-installed.

Like I have always said, newer does not always equate to "better".

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
If you have an Intel mac all I can say is FULL 64 bit! I know for you PPC people its moot, but I have seen what 64 bit does for performance with XP, I can't wait to see how it improves things like video encoding on my Macbook Pro!

This aspect alone is HUGE and nobody is talking about it! All people here seem to do is bicker over the dock, and whether the "eye candy" is valid. I always thought "its prettier" was one of the benefits of Mac Ownership, now we all seem to be scorning looks so we are taken "seriously"

Why can't anyone see past the candy which is nice but irrelevent, to this VERY important aspect of the OS?

Reaction score
If you have an Intel mac all I can say is FULL 64 bit! I know for you PPC people its moot, but I have seen what 64 bit does for performance with XP, I can't wait to see how it improves things like video encoding on my Macbook Pro!

This aspect alone is HUGE and nobody is talking about it! All people here seem to do is bicker over the dock, and whether the "eye candy" is valid. I always thought "its prettier" was one of the benefits of Mac Ownership, now we all seem to be scorning looks so we are taken "seriously"

Why can't anyone see past the candy which is nice but irrelevent, to this VERY important aspect of the OS?

Rubbish, the Core Solo and Core Duo chips are all 32 bit. The PPC G5 and the Core 2 Duo is 64-bit. So it isn't "moot" for me.

I'm thrilled about it as well, but I'm much happier with the direction Apple is going with the UI, they're slowly but surely makign advances away from old dogmas like folders and the streamlining of all apps with sidebars like iTunes is very welcome. iCal looks SO OS 10.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
To me it is not just the new eye-candy features. Cover flow, stacks, and spaces, to name a few are going to be new way of using our computers. The next logical approach is viewing files with out actually opening applications. Now combined with spotlight, this makes finding and access files much different than we did before. Of course, I am sure, like spotlight, the technology has to mature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro

Only Mac Pro's will benefit from 64Bit. Correct me if I'm wrong I think the Mac Pro's are the only Mac's that can have more then 4GB Ram.

Reaction score
I was looking at the video clips up on YouTube, hmm. I'm sure working with Leopard would be divine, but watching the demo of the desktop, I might find the reflection of the bottom of the window against the floor of the dock a bit distracting. It's a beautiful effect, but I do quite like the simple, clean box around the icons in Tiger as I set my dock to the right hand side, quite small icons to give me optimum workspace.

I don't really deal with enough data to make use of Time Machine, although I think it's an ingenius application. Stacks, look good in theory but it's difficult for me to judge whether I'd find them easier or better to work with unless I tried it on my own machine. Spaces I wouldn't use, I actually don't use Expose as it is. I think I've only used Spotlight once.

Coverflow, I'd really only use in iTunes although as someone said above, I think it could well be an innovation of the future, to design in such a way that an application doesn't even need to be launched to view a file, so to speak.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.