Good Deal???

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah I know that you mentioned wanting at least a 15" screen.

Wanting that built-in SD card reader will really limit your choices to newer MBP's (June 2009 & Newer) which means computers that are less than 12 months old. This will require a lot more $$$ spent for a laptop. One of those USB SD card readers would cost you about $5.00 bucks or less...and then you would have MANY more used MBP's to choose from.

The 17" MBP that I mentioned that I purchased used for $725 is a 2006 model. It's perfect cosmetically, runs like a champ...and has been able to do everything I needed it to do...including all the tasks you mentioned needing the laptop to do.

Upgrades for the MBP's (or just about any Apple laptop)...ram & hard drive are pretty much it. As far as Windows 7...personally I think that you're best off buying whatever MBP you want...purchasing Windows 7 separately, and doing the Windows 7 install yourself.

If the used MBP you buy absolutely positively has to have a built in SD card slot & have Windows 7 already installed on it...you are REALLY REALLY going to limit your choices!:(

Hope this helps,

- Nick

You guys have been more then helpful. Yall have made this transition alot more easier for me and for that i thank you. Im so excited about making the change. ill be posting pics and stats of my new Mac. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
This is very short-sided thinking. I don't just think about today...I think about tomorrow as well. What happens when "Person B" wants to:

- update Windows 7?
- has an issue with Windows 7 & wants to contact Microsoft customer support?
- purchase an upgrade to Windows 8 (whenever it is launched)?
- needs to reformat their hard drive for a variety of reasons?
- Person B's hard drive crash's...and loses everything on the hard drive?

Without a valid Product Key for Windows 7..."Person B" (the new owner) will be out of luck!!!:(

- Nick

Of course there are lots of freeware available that will pull the product keys and serial numbers off the system. So you could and should pull those if you buy a machine without the numbers provided... it wouldn't help with the lack of install disks but you could use them to get your support as long as they weren't faked pirate numbers... But yes the install disk would be a problem you would have to be willing to accept.

OP
B
Reaction score
Well, this one is has everything you want, except for the windows 7 :)
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

Edit:
Around $1500 means $1250-$1750 to me :/
Ram and HD is all you can upgrade, but all you will need too, as for the graphics and faster processor, then you need to go to the higher range of my interperetation of "around" $1500 and go for the Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)
As for Windows 7.... the basic version is US$200, so adding that to the US$1449 for the 2.53GHz MBP you are looking at US$1649 which is within my "around" $1500 range.

Well after days of debating and lots of lost hours of sleep i finally made purchase :)

i decided to go with the MacBook pro you linked me to which has a 2.53 GHz processer w/ 4GBs of ram. im really excited for it to come in and im glad i didnt buy that Macbook pro on craigslist.
turns out he cleaned it out and couldnt reinstall windows 7 back on it and that was the main reason i wanted it. so i made a great choice.:D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well after days of debating and lots of lost hours of sleep i finally made purchase :)

i decided to go with the MacBook pro you linked me to which has a 2.53 GHz processer w/ 4GBs of ram. im really excited for it to come in and im glad i didnt buy that Macbook pro on craigslist.
turns out he cleaned it out and couldnt reinstall windows 7 back on it and that was the main reason i wanted it. so i made a great choice.:D

Way to go...glad you were able to decide what laptop you wanted!:) Getting a laptop directly from Apple was a great choice...plus you get the full 12 month warranty.

I bet you're going to love that new laptop!!!:):)

Let us know when you get it...and what you think of it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Nice work Bodeen2000 and keep coming back to the forums. They are a great place to learn and swap ideas with only a very small majority of members being negative. And Nick I think you called correctly that dderh026 about his/her arguementive posts .. until next time alas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Great to hear, and as Nick and Harry said, let us know what you think of it when it arrives, and stick around, as this is a great place to learn and swap ideas!
All the best. and congrats :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.