Good Deal???

Reaction score
for bellow

Can you please explain further?

Thanks,

- Nick

maybe he has a family pack 3 license. or downloaded it through a program. thats how i get my windows software. i purchase it through my work and download.

dont be so fast to jump to conclusions because you think you know everything

Reaction score
maybe he has a family pack 3 license. or downloaded it through a program. thats how i get my windows software. i purchase it through my work and download.

Well i get my windows by download though my college, yet it would still be an illegal copy if i sold it to somebody because it has a student license

Reaction score
Well i get my windows by download though my college, yet it would still be an illegal copy if i sold it to somebody because it has a student license

you are correct.

but alot of companies, including the one i work for, have discounts with software vendors through employee programs, and the licenses are full just like a normal one.

Reaction score
you are correct.

but alot of companies, including the one i work for, have discounts with software vendors through employee programs, and the licenses are full just like a normal one.

O Well then you should be able to sell the license with the computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Well to follow up...first of all...if the person selling this computer with Windows 7 on it has a "Family Pack" license...I'm pretty darn sure since this computer is being sold on Craig's List that the person buying it will NOT be a member of the seller's "family"!

If Microsoft's Family Pack license agreement is in any way similar to Apple's...the "Family Pack" installs of the Windows OS is limited...and does not include non-family members that you sell a computer to.

Here's an older article regarding the Windows 7 Family pack:

Windows 7 Family Pack Available for Pre-order Early Online - PCWorld

...and a quote from the article..."The Family Pack allows users to install Windows 7 Home Premium for a reduced price on up to three PCs in a household that already has a version of Windows installed."

So like I said...I'm pretty darn sure that the buyer of this laptop on Craig's List will NOT be a member of the seller's "household"...and therefore the Windows 7 Family Pack license is not valid for the buyer!

As far as downloading Windows 7 (and not needing original disks)...sure it can be done:

Download Windows 7 - Microsoft Windows

...but that download (single user license) still carries the same restrictions that any Windows OS software has had in the past...and that is that it cannot be installed on more than one computer at the same time...using the same "Product Key".

Long story short. If the Macintosh laptop linked from Craig's List in the OP's original post comes with Windows 7 already installed on it. And the seller of this laptop is not including the Windows 7 Product Key with the purchase of the computer...then the Windows 7 install is not legit!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Ok so all my life ive used PC's and now that my last Laptop (Alienware) went out im wanting a MACBOOK Pro.

so ive found this laptop on Craigslist and im not sure if this is a good deal or not.

15 inch Apple Macbook Pro MINT

i like the fact that it has Windows 7 on it i think it will make the transition a little easier for me.

so what do you guys think?

That isn't a very good price at all. It sounds like a late 2008 spec macbook pro... and I picked one of those up used off craigslist for less than half the price you are looking at. In my case the guy was asking 800, but I was able to squeeze him down on the price... Now it didn't have the windows 7 installed on it, but it did come with the snow leopard install disks...

Frankly you are being taken if you buy that for that price.... hold onto your cash and wait for a better deal.

And familiarize yourself with the specs of various macbooks before you even consider getting a used one. There are several versions that look identical on the outside but have very different abilities because of the differences in graphics cards. This would be especially true if you plan on using your macbook to play windows computer games. There are some macbooks that have pretty pathetic video cards when it comes to games.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for clarifying the obvious.

EXACTLY!

Your earlier "Family Pack" suggestion would not be possible...since the buyer of this laptop will 99.99999% NOT be a member of the sellers household!!!

Your 2nd suggestion...that the copy of Windows 7 on this laptop could be legit due to the fact that it could be a downloaded version (and thus would not need original install disks)...is certainly possible.

But the seller would still have to provide the buyer with the original Windows 7 Product Key...to be a legit install of Windows 7.

So there really was nothing incorrect with my earlier statement that if someone was to buy this computer with Windows 7 on it...that they better get the original Windows 7 install discs with the computer + the product key...or if it was a downloaded version of Windows 7...that they better get the original Product Key.

Bottom line is the buyer better get the original Windows 7 Product Key...otherwise..as I stated earlier...the laptop would not have a legit copy of Windows 7.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
Bottom line is the buyer better get the original Windows 7 Product Key...otherwise..as I stated earlier...the laptop would not have a legit copy of Windows 7.

- Nick

Sorry but you are simply flat out wrong. Having or not having the product key does not make the software legit. It is entirely possible that Person A has a valid copy of Windows 7, Person A gives or sells the computer to Person B but not the number because it was lost in a fire or eaten by a dog. The software is still legit. It would only be illegal is the software was pirated to start with, having the product key and install disk simply insure that the software was legal to start with but in no way can you or anyone claim that software on a computer is illegal simply because the disk and number are not with it.

Reaction score
EXACTLY!

Your earlier "Family Pack" suggestion would not be possible...since the buyer of this laptop will 99.99999% NOT be a member of the sellers household!!!

Your 2nd suggestion...that the copy of Windows 7 on this laptop could be legit due to the fact that it could be a downloaded version (and thus would not need original install disks)...is certainly possible.

But the seller would still have to provide the buyer with the original Windows 7 Product Key...to be a legit install of Windows 7.

So there really was nothing incorrect with my earlier statement that if someone was to buy this computer with Windows 7 on it...that they better get the original Windows 7 install discs with the computer + the product key...or if it was a downloaded version of Windows 7...that they better get the original Product Key.

- Nick

I am done with this. I have a very low tolerance for stupidity.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry but you are simply flat out wrong. Having or not having the product key does not make the software legit. It is entirely possible that Person A has a valid copy of Windows 7, Person A gives or sells the computer to Person B but not the number because it was lost in a fire or eaten by a dog. The software is still legit. It would only be illegal is the software was pirated to start with, having the product key and install disk simply insure that the software was legal to start with but in no way can you or anyone claim that software on a computer is illegal simply because the disk and number are not with it.

This is very short-sided thinking. I don't just think about today...I think about tomorrow as well. What happens when "Person B" wants to:

- update Windows 7?
- has an issue with Windows 7 & wants to contact Microsoft customer support?
- purchase an upgrade to Windows 8 (whenever it is launched)?
- needs to reformat their hard drive for a variety of reasons?
- Person B's hard drive crash's...and loses everything on the hard drive?

Without a valid Product Key for Windows 7..."Person B" (the new owner) will be out of luck!!!:(

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Obviously you have issues.

You are new to the forum, at this point you have a total of 14 posts...and you are VERY argumentative! Of the 14 posts you have on this forum, almost 50% of the things you have said are argumentative!

Here are some of the things you have said:

I am done with this. I have a very low tolerance for stupidity.

thanks for clarifying the obvious.

haha trust me, I am leaving this forum.

I bought my first macbook and thought I would sign up here and check it out, but everyone here (especially mods like yourself) are so full of themselves and their opinions, its quite ridiculous. I see numerous threads including this one that just get hijacked by mods like you and the poor op cant even get a honest answer because all you want to blare about is how awesome you are that you can buy your mac from apple.

lighten up, its a forum, your not the law.

and to the OP, dont listen to these clowns...

[size=+1]NOT a very good track record!!![/size]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Pigoo3
ha ...it's that guy or girl again!
ddehr026, don't you remember me telling you not to disrespect anyone here or elsewhere for their take on things?
Didn't you say that you were leaving this Forum?
What happened, did you get lost on the way out?

I happen to have a very high tolerence for stupidity, so, I will assist you!
At the top right of this page you will see Log Out.
All you need to do to leave is to click that, and you are gone!
Goodbye :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
B
Reaction score
Come guys *** lol i leave yall alone for one day and yall are fightning on my thread lol

so any way i talked to this guy and he said that this mac doesnt have the sd reader on it. i thought they came with the Sd readers? he said he bought it in feb. of 09.

whats the best sites to look for Macbook pros for sale? does best buy sale refubs? what about the Orchard do they?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
To answer the SD question, the model that seller has is the late 2008 model, it wasn't until mid 2009 that the SD reader replaced the express card slot.
As for the best place to look, I still think the best option is Apple refurbs, so that question I will have to leave to be answered by others :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so any way i talked to this guy and he said that this mac doesnt have the sd reader on it. i thought they came with the Sd readers? he said he bought it in feb. of 09.

whats the best sites to look for Macbook pros for sale? does best buy sale refubs? what about the Orchard do they?

Yeah...not all models came with an SD card reader. But you can always get one of those cheap USB SD card reader adapters for it. You certainly wouldn't want to pass up a great deal on a MBP if it didn't have the card reader.

As far as where to look for MBP's for sale...what's:

- your main priority...new, used, refurbished?
- how new or how old of a MBP model will you consider?
- what is your "real" budget? And please don't say as little as possible!;)

New: Sure you can buy a new Apple product at most electronic stores...but I always felt that if you're going to buy new computer...you might as well get it right from Apple.

Refurbished: Again Apple is your best choice (IMHO).

Used:: E-Bay & Craig's List...with my preference being Craig's List, since you can see it & use it before buying...but your selection at any one time is limited. With e-Bay you have much more to choose from...but you will probably pay more for it due to the Nationwide audience...and you don't get to see & use the computer before buying.

That's really about it. Most other online places that sell used Macintosh computers really charge an "arm & a leg" for what they're selling!:(

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah...not all models came with an SD card reader. But you can always get one of those cheap USB SD card reader adapters for it. You certainly wouldn't want to pass up a great deal on a MBP if it didn't have the card reader.

As far as where to look for MBP's for sale...what's:

- your main priority...new, used, refurbished?
- how new or how old of a MBP model will you consider?
- what is your "real" budget? And please don't say as little as possible!;)

New: Sure you can buy a new Apple product at most electronic stores...but I always felt that if you're going to buy new computer...you might as well get it right from Apple.

Refurbished: Again Apple is your best choice (IMHO).

Used:: E-Bay & Craig's List...with my preference being Craig's List, since you can see it & use it before buying...but your selection at any one time is limited. With e-Bay you have much more to choose from...but you will probably pay more for it due to the Nationwide audience...and you don't get to see & use the computer before buying.

That's really about it. Most other online places that sell used Macintosh computers really charge an "arm & a leg" for what they're selling!:(

Hope this helps,

- Nick

yea that was helpful

my budget is around 1500 bucks and i wanted a mac book pro for sure.
i also would really like to have the sd reader due to alot of picture taking.
i got to have a 15inch or above. do not want a 13inch
ill settle with a lower end mac if i can do upgrades to it such as ram. ( is that all i can upgrade? )

oh and i kinda wanted one that had windows 7 on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, this one is has everything you want, except for the windows 7 :)
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

Edit:
Around $1500 means $1250-$1750 to me :/
Ram and HD is all you can upgrade, but all you will need too, as for the graphics and faster processor, then you need to go to the higher range of my interperetation of "around" $1500 and go for the http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB985LL/A?mco=MTA4MzI2Nzk
As for Windows 7.... the basic version is US$200, so adding that to the US$1449 for the 2.53GHz MBP you are looking at US$1649 which is within my "around" $1500 range.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea that was helpful

my budget is around 1500 bucks and i wanted a mac book pro for sure.
i also would really like to have the sd reader due to alot of picture taking.
i got to have a 15inch or above. do not want a 13inch
ill settle with a lower end mac if i can do upgrades to it such as ram. ( is that all i can upgrade? )

oh and i kinda wanted one that had windows 7 on it.

Yeah I know that you mentioned wanting at least a 15" screen.

Wanting that built-in SD card reader will really limit your choices to newer MBP's (June 2009 & Newer) which means computers that are less than 12 months old. This will require a lot more $$$ spent for a laptop. One of those USB SD card readers would cost you about $5.00 bucks or less...and then you would have MANY more used MBP's to choose from.

The 17" MBP that I mentioned that I purchased used for $725 is a 2006 model. It's perfect cosmetically, runs like a champ...and has been able to do everything I needed it to do...including all the tasks you mentioned needing the laptop to do.

Upgrades for the MBP's (or just about any Apple laptop)...ram & hard drive are pretty much it. As far as Windows 7...personally I think that you're best off buying whatever MBP you want...purchasing Windows 7 separately, and doing the Windows 7 install yourself.

If the used MBP you buy absolutely positively has to have a built in SD card slot & have Windows 7 already installed on it...you are REALLY REALLY going to limit your choices!:(

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.