FOR PARENTS ONLY: is a Mac *BAD* for Pre-School Kids?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, they've agreed to send me a copy, and the order has already been generated. Once it arrives, how can I tell if it's a Dell OEM copy (or not)?

If it's got the typical Windows XP/Microsoft holographic logo, it should be OK. If it's blue, with a Dell logo and a phrase that indicates it's a "restore" CD, it will not be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro, 16GB, 1TB, OS 12.6.9
Do we really think the OS's are that different as to warrant a 5 page thread of rants and name calling?

Anyone (especially a young kid with a thriving mind) who uses computers should be able become 99% competent in either OS after a few hours of tinkering at most.

I know how to drive cars with manual and automatic transmissions.
I can cook my dinner on the stove or the microwave.
I can listen to music using my record player or CD player or ipod.

I think we're selling kids' minds a little short here in assuming that they don't have the intelligence to operate two different types of computers, which really aren't that different to begin with. It's not like we're talking about typing DOS commands vs OS X.

Just my 2 cents.

-Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Do we really think the OS's are that different as to warrant a 5 page thread of rants and name calling?

Anyone (especially a young kid with a thriving mind) who uses computers should be able become 99% competent in either OS after a few hours of tinkering at most.

I know how to drive cars with manual and automatic transmissions.
I can cook my dinner on the stove or the microwave.
I can listen to music using my record player or CD player or ipod.

I think we're selling kids' minds a little short here in assuming that they don't have the intelligence to operate two different types of computers, which really aren't that different to begin with. It's not like we're talking about typing DOS commands vs OS X.

Just my 2 cents.

-Nick

Agreed.... Thanks for the $0.02!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Good plan. In fact I just requested a CD copy of Windows XP from Dell.

Let me re-ask this question, just to double-check:

How much RAM is needed (minimum) on the Mini Mac to run Parallels and Windows XP?

Thanks.

I answered this quite a while back. I would for sure have 1GB Minimum for OSX and Parallels. With both OSX and XP running you need all the RAM you can use. If it were me i would install 2GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Interesting (and long) discussion. I'll chime in with my 2p...

My kids (aged 7 and 4 now) have got an Ubuntu laptop each (got them cheap thinkpads of ebay - those things last forever). They are comfortable with those; in fact my daughter (7) uses Gnome and my son (4) uses KDE. They are also perfectly at home using my Mac and quite happy using Windows machines.

Drilling the concept that kids only need Windows at an early age will only make the long slow death of that mass of security problems, crashes and frustrations called Windows take that much longer ... :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Believe me, I'm quite sorry I asked.

I think a lot of folks might have taken your commentary the wrong way, when it was mostly good-natured. There were a couple of threads where you jumped in and said "Oh! So, the Mac can't do that?!" (paraphrasing). Obviously, with the mentality of a lot of people, particularly Microsoft-zealots, we see a lot of trolls in these forums looking to start flame wars as a form of entertainment.

I honestly don't think that was your intent now that I've seen more of your posts and questions, but I can see where some might have taken you the wrong way. Either way, it's all good and I'm glad that you've approached this purchase with an open mind and done some research to determine whether it's a good move for both you and your family.

I really like this thread in particular, I think it's raised a number of valid points and is definitely a positive contribution to the forum.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know (thanks). I wanted to re-ask, just to double check.

Only reason I put it that way is with all the junk going on I figured you might have missed my original post.

OP
S
Reaction score
If it's got the typical Windows XP/Microsoft holographic logo, it should be OK. If it's blue, with a Dell logo and a phrase that indicates it's a "restore" CD, it will not be.
ERRRR!!! The CD just arrived. It's a Dell branded reinstallation CD -- not a Microsoft OEM CD.

Bummer....

Oh well, I tried. :-(

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ERRRR!!! The CD just arrived. It's a Dell branded reinstallation CD -- not a Microsoft OEM CD.

Bummer....

Oh well, I tried. :-(

Ugh.... that does stink. Check eBay and look for OEM/non-branded copies. You should be able to find them cheap now that Vista is out.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ugh.... that does stink. Check eBay and look for OEM/non-branded copies. You should be able to find them cheap now that Vista is out.
Yep, thanks. I think newegg might sell them cheap, too.

Ya gotta give Dell credit for overnighting the CD to me. I wasn't expecting anything for at least a week.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.