FOR PARENTS ONLY: is a Mac *BAD* for Pre-School Kids?

OP
S
Reaction score
Soundsgood, you seem to be H-e-l-l... On not wanting a Mac... and not wanting your kids to touch "the evil mac machine"...
Actually my plan was to buy a Mac Mini. In fact I already told my wife we were getting one. But then a Mac user pointed out that most schools use PCs now, and it might be easier for kids to use a PC -- which got me re-thinking the idea.

OP
S
Reaction score
dump out the spoons and forks... Get rid of the ballpoint pens (#2 pencils only)... "No blank paper for you Johnny! It's lined paper from now on"... Install the "urinals", Round-up the chain-link fence.... "Get out of the car Johnny... we're taking the bus!!!" Where is my kick-ball?!!!
Gee, I'm finding that some Mac users are very, very sensitive about others using (or not using) a Mac. I'm not sure why this is, but it is rather interesting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Here ya go... this might give you an "advantage":

Spork.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Gee, I'm finding that some Mac users are very, very sensitive about others using (or not using) a Mac. I'm not sure why this is, but it is rather interesting.

Still trolling...

OP
S
Reaction score
Still trolling...

I wasn't familiar with the term "Trolling", so I just looked it up:

"In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, often in the form of posting messages that are inflammatory, insulting, incorrect, inaccurate, absurd, or off-topic, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others."

Sorry, but that's not at all what I'm doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I grew up on Macs. We only had Macs at home. I used PCs in school, with a few Macs in elementary school. My high school and colleges have had PCs. Am I worse off that a person that only used PCs all their life? Far from it, I have a huge advantage over the majority of my friends. I can use both, without problems. I know how both systems work.

So saying that you will be harming them by having them use a Mac at home, and a PC at school is a lie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I wasn't familiar with the term "Trolling", so I just looked it up:

"In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, often in the form of posting messages that are inflammatory, insulting, incorrect, inaccurate, absurd, or off-topic, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others."

Sorry, but that's not at all what I'm doing.

Sounds pretty absurd to me.

RIDE, how old are you?

I am 31/M and a Taurus ... and no, I do not want to "meet-up" with you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I think your best bet would be to buy a PC and move on.. will your child be at a disadvantage if you buy him/her nike's rather than adidas? no they won't. Its the same answer if you were to buy a Mac rather than a PC.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Here is my take on the whole thing with kids and you can see this for yourself. I have not purchased my mac yet and my kids have ONLY used PC's. Kids age 8, 6, and 3yr. We went to the apple store and wanted to find out more about apple computers so the sales guy showed us that they had about 8 apple computers set up in a kids area all with kids games on them for all ages. Each one of my children pulled up a chair and played on the macs for an hour and a half! They never once came over to me and complained. One program froze but after a quick restart my oldest was back at it. My 3yr old had her own computer and played Dora without a hitch.

I asked each of them when they were done if they liked the computers and they all replied YES. I think your child will have no problems at all. Sometimes we don't give our kids enough credit. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I posted my only concern for your kid and the Mac. The online games he plays.

Good job dtravis7... I got a little carried away with the absurdness.

Rep to you for staying the course.

OP
S
Reaction score
I asked each of them when they were done if they liked the computers and they all replied YES. I think your child will have no problems at all. Sometimes we don't give our kids enough credit. ;)
Thanks, Mike. Maybe I should take my son to an Apple store. Good idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Sorry to see that this thread deteriorated so quickly.

I hope my answer early on (#5) helped-- it was based on personal experience with my kids who have gone through the elementary and middle school systems.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Your child should have no problems with sites like disney, nick and nickjr, to name a few. Most of the games on those sites are flash based. So they should work on any system that flash supports. As for my grandsons, they use both. I have Apples computers, his school and parents have PCs. They are able to do whatever they want with eithere system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
<<acting his age :D>>

I will second what rman stated.. my kids play the NickJr online games as well on our iMac. Also IMO some of the most educational games (as far as learning computers) are the games that come installed on Edubuntu... These are really great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
harsh words... :(

Honest answer:

The new Mac's natively run Windows OR OS X, so your child can be proficient at both. Kids are smart and adapt well. My little cousin gets around a PC as well as a Mac (his dad uses PC's, his mom uses Mac), and he's all of 3 years old.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.