Folding@Home Team

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
PowerBookG4 said:
Have you completed any work units yet?

That's probably it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
ok good you will be on there soon enough.. good luck folding.. and thanks for helping us out.

M

MJGUK

I've joined too :)

Although I just have my iBook folding atm......
I only had the chance to run it for about 10 minutes last night before I shut the machine down, but it didn't get past 0.0% so I hope it is actually working :p

Anyway, glad to help the cause.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
mjguk,
folding on your book is unfortunately going to be a slow and painful process. my g4 powerbook sometimes takes 2 weeks to finish a work unit, and it runs 24/7. but keep working on it, every work unit counts a lot!

also, download the program called inCrease from macupdate.com, it will allow you to tweak some of your settings so that you can get work units that will run better on your 'book. i will help you out with some of the settings once you get the program

-chris

M

MJGUK

Yep, I have noticed that :p
You keep your Powerbook on 24/7?
Hmmm, well that atleast gives me some faith to run the iBook for longer periods of time then. I've always just figured it would overheat pretty badly if I left it on that long.

Anyway, I'll probably add a few of my other boxes to the folding cause in the next few days. I have a pretty high spec AMD XP machine I can add, along with my 2ghz Core Duo iMac.

Anyway, glad to be part of the team.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MJGUK said:
Yep, I have noticed that :p
You keep your Powerbook on 24/7?
Hmmm, well that atleast gives me some faith to run the iBook for longer periods of time then. I've always just figured it would overheat pretty badly if I left it on that long.

Anyway, I'll probably add a few of my other boxes to the folding cause in the next few days. I have a pretty high spec AMD XP machine I can add, along with my 2ghz Core Duo iMac.

Anyway, glad to be part of the team.

Looks like we have to look out for you... you are going to climb the ranks quickly with a imac core duo, a high spec xp machine, and an ibook..

M

MJGUK

Well, I'll try :p

But actually I had a couple questions (please).....

1) Will I notice any performance decrease on my iMac (or any other machine I guess) with the Folding@Home App running?

2) Can I use the same username for all 3 machines, running at the same time?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will keep this simple and to the point :)

1) No, it only uses proccessor power that is not being used.

2) Yes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
MJGUK said:
2) Can I use the same username for all 3 machines, running at the same time?

Oh yeah, that's how you increase your stats. Make sure the team number and username are exact. :) Have fun moving up. Let us know how the Intel likes InCrease.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i believe that there are some problems folding with the intel macs, ill look this up later and report back...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
So I'm on vacation, and I got pulled for an extra security pat-down at the Airport. they took out my PowerBook and pried the battery out (the idiots didn't understand how the coin mechanism works, so they just pried away until it came out :eek: ), is there anyway I can recover the work unit I was in the middle of? I still hadn't finished one yet, so I at least want to finish that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
wow, idiots!!! i always take my 'book apart before sending it through the xray so they dont need to take it apart

every 15 minutes or so your computer saves a checkpoint of where you are at in regards to your folding work unit. so you only lost anywhere between 1 and 14 minutes of folding

-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
coach_z said:
wow, idiots!!! i always take my 'book apart before sending it through the xray so they dont need to take it apart

every 15 minutes or so your computer saves a checkpoint of where you are at in regards to your folding work unit. so you only lost anywhere between 1 and 14 minutes of folding

-chris

Ok, that's good to hear. I relaunched it just now.

Anyways, the reason I didn't have it out was because in the past four or six times I've been through (counting there and back) they haven't needed to take it out, but I go by my initials (T.J.; my Dad and I have the same name) and the name on the ticket was my full name, and they sent me through. They were about to use a crow-bar on it to!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
coach_z said:
i believe that there are some problems folding with the intel macs, ill look this up later and report back...
Has the above been resolved? I just replaced my two powermacs with a macbook and I want to start folding again. Will the CLI and InCrease run on the core duo?

Thanks,
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
I just thought I would join even though im doing it off my Windows PC, hopefully I can have my PC just running folding@home once I get my iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.