First time mac user (iMac G3 333)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
The eMac disks should be fine. The only problem that you would possibly run into is if the disks you received were DVD's and your machine only had a CD-ROM drive (which I believe it does). However, I'm pretty sure that your eMac disks are CD's, and you shouldn't have any issues. Once you're ready to begin the installation, feel free to send me a PM or email, and I can give you my AIM screen name to help walk you through the process or address any questions you have about formatting, partitions, etc.

OP
F

frail

rman said:
That is strange to me. If it a full retail install, why would eMac on the label. I don't know if it will install, but I would request a new copy.

I contacted OWC about it their reply was:

"The CDs are Universal full installation CDs. These will work in any
machine capable of having Panther installed on them."

There's a 90 day warranty on them. If they don't install, I'll request an exchange.

OP
F

frail

Padawan said:
The eMac disks should be fine. The only problem that you would possibly run into is if the disks you received were DVD's and your machine only had a CD-ROM drive (which I believe it does). However, I'm pretty sure that your eMac disks are CD's, and you shouldn't have any issues. Once you're ready to begin the installation, feel free to send me a PM or email, and I can give you my AIM screen name to help walk you through the process or address any questions you have about formatting, partitions, etc.

They are labeled as CDs. I made sure they sent me CDs because I indeed have only a CD-ROM drive.

I appreciate your offer for installation help and I'll definitely take you up on it. I have everything I need now, 256MB of RAM, the Panther 10.3.3 disks; just waiting on the iMac now which won't be getting here until next Friday. I did have a question about the partitioning. With a little math I figured that 7.81GB would be as close to 8 Billion Bytes as I could get without going over, but I'd also read somewhere about an issue where the partition should be actually less than 7.5GB.

I've also ran across some confusion as to whether the "top" or "bottom" partition is the first one. But I suppose we can tackle those over AIM next Friday when I install. Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
frail said:
I contacted OWC about it their reply was:

"The CDs are Universal full installation CDs. These will work in any
machine capable of having Panther installed on them."

There's a 90 day warranty on them. If they don't install, I'll request an exchange.

You won't have an issue with them. I used the Jaguar installation disks from my iBook to install 10.2 on my Power Macintosh G3 once I upgraded the iBook to Panther, and the disks worked just fine. Regardless of what machine name is printed on the disks, the OS X installation disks all contain full versions of OS X.

OP
F

frail

Padawan said:
You won't have an issue with them. I used the Jaguar installation disks from my iBook to install 10.2 on my Power Macintosh G3 once I upgraded the iBook to Panther, and the disks worked just fine. Regardless of what machine name is printed on the disks, the OS X installation disks all contain full versions of OS X.

Good to know. Thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You should not have a problem with the partitioning. Not know where the partition was located, I used the top part. I created mine 7.9Gb in size and had no problems. Anything less than 8GB and you should be okay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Yikes, shipping was expensive! $42!

OP
F

frail

macEfan said:
Yikes, shipping was expensive! $42!

That was pretty much the norm for all the auctions I looked at. This is a starter computer for me so I can try out the Mac OS without dropping alot of money. If I like it, I'll sell my Windows laptop which will easily get me enough money to buy a Mac Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
frail said:
That was pretty much the norm for all the auctions I looked at.

Yes, it's towards the high end, but not outrageous. Remember, these AIO Macs with CRT displays aren't the lightest, nor the most compact items to ship.

OP
F

frail

Padawan said:
Yes, it's towards the high end, but not outrageous. Remember, these AIO Macs with CRT displays aren't the lightest, nor the most compact items to ship.

Yeah, I was surprised when I read the specs online. 38 pounds. I ran the numbers through FedEx out of curiousity(seller shipped it FedEx) and the total shipping cost was only $28 though. No biggie. It'll be here Friday afternoon and then it's time to play. :mac:

OP
F

frail

Finally got my iMac today. I successfully installed Panther and installed the combined 10.3.9 update.

Some concerns though. Is it normal for the top of the computer to get as hot as it does? Also I installed the new memory and found out that the plastic tabs on the sides that hold the RAM sticks are all broken so I have no way of securing the RAM. Right now I kinda just have them sitting in there at an angle. Everything seems to be okay, but will this cause any long term damage and is there anyway to secure the SODIMMs in there? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
frail said:
Finally got my iMac today. I successfully installed Panther and installed the combined 10.3.9 update.

Some concerns though. Is it normal for the top of the computer to get as hot as it does? Also I installed the new memory and found out that the plastic tabs on the sides that hold the RAM sticks are all broken so I have no way of securing the RAM. Right now I kinda just have them sitting in there at an angle. Everything seems to be okay, but will this cause any long term damage and is there anyway to secure the SODIMMs in there? Thanks.
The iMac is cooled by convection (i.e. heat rises), so yes, the top will get hot with use. I don't know about the ram question. I think as long as it is sitting on your desk and not getting moved around it'll be fine.

OP
F

frail

jhelm007 said:
The iMac is cooled by convection (i.e. heat rises), so yes, the top will get hot with use. I don't know about the ram question. I think as long as it is sitting on your desk and not getting moved around it'll be fine.

I understand the convection cooling but it seemed abnormally hot. As far as the RAM is concerned, I just wrapped a couple rubber bands around each SODIMM to keep them in place. I hope it doesn't get hot enough in there to melt the rubber.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
frail said:
I understand the convection cooling but it seemed abnormally hot. As far as the RAM is concerned, I just wrapped a couple rubber bands around each SODIMM to keep them in place. I hope it doesn't get hot enough in there to melt the rubber.

Did the used Imac come with the clips broken off like that? I wonder what the origional owner did to the poor thing?

OP
F

frail

dtravis7 said:
Did the used Imac come with the clips broken off like that? I wonder what the origional owner did to the poor thing?

All but one were broken off and the remaining one would already cracked. It snapped off when I installed the RAM. Do you think the rubber band would get hot enough to melt and cause damage?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
frail said:
All but one were broken off and the remaining one would already cracked. It snapped off when I installed the RAM. Do you think the rubber band would get hot enough to melt and cause damage?

In most cases I doubt it, but the reason I am wondering in this case is the upper ram slot is right by the CPU. It really does not seem to get very hot in that area though, as I had mine on for hours and took it right apart and it was fairly cool there. As you already found out, it gets really hot in the monitor section. You probably will be ok. I might have tried to use a long and skinny cable tie. Check it after a few months. I bet it will be fine though.

I

OP
F

frail

dtravis7 said:
In most cases I doubt it, but the reason I am wondering in this case is the upper ram slot is right by the CPU. It really does not seem to get very hot in that area though, as I had mine on for hours and took it right apart and it was fairly cool there. As you already found out, it gets really hot in the monitor section. You probably will be ok. I might have tried to use a long and skinny cable tie. Check it after a few months. I bet it will be fine though.

I

Thanks for the help. I'll probably check on it in a couple weeks and see how it's holding up. I have another question that I mean to ask before but forgot until now. It concerns Panther's built-in firewall. Is is already on by default or do I turn it on? I had read elsewhere that it was already on but I gathered from what I saw in the firewall section that it looked like it was off.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
frail said:
Thanks for the help. I'll probably check on it in a couple weeks and see how it's holding up. I have another question that I mean to ask before but forgot until now. It concerns Panther's built-in firewall. Is is already on by default or do I turn it on? I had read elsewhere that it was already on but I gathered from what I saw in the firewall section that it looked like it was off.

The firewall is turned off by default when you install Panther. If you feel you need a firewall, you can turn it on. Check to make sure the services you need will be allowed through the firewall. If you need any help with that down the line, let me know.

OP
F

frail

Just an update. After playing with the iMac for a few days I've decided that I like the Mac OS enough to switch permanently from Windows. So I'm selling my Windows PC and will be using the money to buy a Mac Mini. Should have it by the end of the week.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
frail said:
Just an update. After playing with the iMac for a few days I've decided that I like the Mac OS enough to switch permanently from Windows. So I'm selling my Windows PC and will be using the money to buy a Mac Mini. Should have it by the end of the week.

Very cool. I think you will love the Mini. A lot of computer for the price and size. Going from the 333Mhz Imac to the Mini will be a BIG jump for you.

Enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.