• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

First Presidential Election

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
that's my fear for Obama - the Jimmy Carter Effect - coming off of a republican into a horrible economic climate, resulting in voters with notoriously short-term memory eventually rebuffing the democrat. probably won't bode well for the house and senate either, at least in another two years.
Who ever wins, will most likely preside for one term.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Keep your eye on Congress, they are the ones we need to watch more closely IMHO. President's come and go, but Congress keeps on chugging along. I find it alarming that I personally can't name all the U.S. Congress and Senate person's from my state, and yet I can easily recall arcane facts about T.V. shows, movie lines, legacy SCSI interfaces and vehicle statistics from cars I've never owned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
While this is true, congress never gets the due blame they deserve. Then again, an ineffective president only makes congress worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
i voted green a couple elections ago, voted my conscience and helped get someone elected who was completely unfit. while i like the idea of third parties, i can't do that again until i'm not literally afraid of the republicans that are on the ballot.
...and who would that have been? :Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
my first was 1988.

The year I was born!

This will be my first as well. I am a little nervous, I don't know what to expect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where is H. Ross Perot when we need him? I miss the charts and no BS messages. LOL

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
i would go one further - whoever gets in is likely to die in office.
Interesting I thought of the same thing.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Interesting I thought of the same thing.

absolutely.

while i can respect those who simply have opinions that differ from Obama's, we all know there is a certain archaic, ignorant segment of the american population who would like nothing more than to see any black person in power "dealt with". and a black person in the ultimate seat of power? that could certainly enrage them into action.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
People who would do that give conservatives a bad name.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i wouldn't call them conservatives, or republicans even if they might. i've got other names for them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
I think Obama will win, but not by as large a margin as many seem to think. I even heard a girl in my class say "Obama is already gonna win, so I'm not even gonna bother to vote." Why anyone, no matter their political alignment, would think this is beyond me.

Everyone no matter how bad you think one or both candidates are please at least vote, if you don't you have no right to even commentate on politics. (Note this isn't to say those who CAN'T vote, whether too young or whatever, fall under the "no right to commentate" umbrella)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm just wondering which places will see civil unrest and under what circumstances. Rioting via partying if Obama wins, or rioting via looting if he loses? Unfortunately, the economy stinks, the weather is unseasonably warm and the media is hungry for some emotional "I" reports. Not looking good for a Cum-Ba-Ya kind of evening IMHO. Fill up the tank, grab your prescription refills and some cash from the ATM before you head home for the night is my advice. I'm guessing Atlanta, Detroit and DC will be bad places to be caught out in the open come tomorrow night either way.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, I voted this morning on my way to work. Waited about 20 minutes, which was the longest I've ever had to wait. I was number 97.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
absolutely.

while i can respect those who simply have opinions that differ from Obama's, we all know there is a certain archaic, ignorant segment of the american population who would like nothing more than to see any black person in power "dealt with". and a black person in the ultimate seat of power? that could certainly enrage them into action.

It may not be prudent to discuss the possible "dealing with" of a Presidential candidate on the internet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It may not be prudent to discuss the possible "dealing with" of a Presidential candidate on the internet.
really, there are sites I know of where there are pools for the date of assassination. I'd say I'm appalled at the amount of racism left in America, but to be honest.. it does not surprise me one bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
really, there are sites I know of where there are pools for the date of assassination. I'd say I'm appalled at the amount of racism left in America, but to be honest.. it does not surprise me one bit.

While I don't doubt that, I would like to think we are above discussing such nonsense here at Mac-Fourums. No true American would ever consider such an action as it would cause irreparable harm to our country.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While I don't doubt that, I would like to think we are above discussing such nonsense here at Mac-Fourums. No true American would ever consider such an action as it would cause irreparable harm to our country.
I agree, there are an awful lot of people out there that make me embarrassed to be their fellow countryman.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.