eMac Startup problem

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
P.s. Just out of curiosity, what was the water running noise in your video? Did somebody really have to go? :D LOL

I thought maybe it was a fish tank...or some sort of "Fung Shui" water fountain.;)

- Nick

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Mac Pro 3,1: 3.2Ghz octo
fish tank

its a shame that it's probably a motherboard issue

still a good deal though b/c i got ten of them for $50
and four of them are just fine, at least for now :$

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
actually im not sure if it does it when plugged in, probably :(

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another question,
i have some emacs that will read cds, but won't recognise the drive if i don't have a cd inserted so the only way to put a cd in is to use the paperclip hole in the front of the drive unless i already have a cd in the machine.
such as, when i put a cd in the drive with the paperclip it reads it and is just fine and will eject like normal, but once you hit eject and the tray pops out it once again does not recognise the drive and will not go back in without a push. also disk utility or the drives menu in the menu bar will not recognise the drive.

any trouble shooting ideas?

P.S. thanks for all the suggestions already given, they have been really helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Another question,
i have some emacs that will read cds, but won't recognise the drive if i don't have a cd inserted so the only way to put a cd in is to use the paperclip hole in the front of the drive unless i already have a cd in the machine.
such as, when i put a cd in the drive with the paperclip it reads it and is just fine and will eject like normal, but once you hit eject and the tray pops out it once again does not recognise the drive and will not go back in without a push. also disk utility or the drives menu in the menu bar will not recognise the drive.

any trouble shooting ideas?

P.S. thanks for all the suggestions already given, they have been really helpful.
Wait, so in order to get a CD into the drive, you have to use the paperclip. Once the CD is in the drive, it will eject like normal. But after the CD is ejected, the drive will not go back in without pushing it. Correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
fish tank

its a shame that it's probably a motherboard issue

LOL. At least it wasn't what I thought it was. :D But yeah, 4 working emacs is still a great deal. Should probably be able to sell them for $50-$100 a piece at least.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I think that you made out just fine! 4 out of 10 work for $50 bucks...just need to sell one...and you will more than break even.:)

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wait, so in order to get a CD into the drive, you have to use the paperclip. Once the CD is in the drive, it will eject like normal. But after the CD is ejected, the drive will not go back in without pushing it. Correct?

that is correct

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that is correct

I'd say the problem lies with the drive itself. But it's just a guess. That's a puzzling problem. The drive should open when the eject button on the keyboard is pushed... Hmm..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
four other emacs do this too

If 4 of them do it...it's got to be a software issue. Remind me...these are 1.0ghz eMacs...what OS are you running?

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If 4 of them do it...it's got to be a software issue. Remind me...these are 1.0ghz eMacs...what OS are you running?

Thanks,

- Nick

Hmmm... I'm not so sure. Where did you buy these eMacs from? They were aimed at the education market. Only now, the broken ones are being weeded out of the schools. Probably in favor of Intel Macs. I'd guess that your bulk lot came from a school somewhere, who knew that these machines had problems. Such as the beeping that you're getting, and the CD drive issue. Plus, these computers take a beating from being around kids. It seems like a broken CD drive problem would be pretty common in a bulk lot from kids forcing Disks in and out. But hey, just my guess. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm... I'm not so sure.

I've actually run into this problem before (where the CD tray closes immediately after opening...without being pushed).

I don't remember how I successfully solved the problem...which is why I haven't posted a solution yet.:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've actually run into this problem before (where the CD tray closes immediately after opening...without being pushed).

I don't remember how I successfully solved the problem...which is why I haven't posted a solution yet.:(

- Nick

Okay then. :)

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
these are 1.0GHz eMacs running osx 10.5 Leopard

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also when i stick a pen in there and push the button it opens. :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also when i stick a pen in there and push the button it opens. :Confused:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get these from? Did you get them from a school as I suggested? Or somewhere else?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
these are 1.0GHz eMacs running osx 10.5 Leopard

Not sure if we covered this already (we sort of evolved from "beeping eMac's" to "eMac's with CD drive problems")...but two of the first things I would do is:

- reinstall the OS...to see if that fixes things. If we're talking OS 10.5...then I would also update to the latest version 10.5.8.

- make sure the eMac had a good PRAM battery.

I guess I'm not sure if you have a proper OS 10.5 install disk (black disk not gray disk)...or if you're working with the OS that was installed on these computers when you received them.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure if we covered this already (we sort of evolved from "beeping eMac's" to "eMac's with CD drive problems")...but two of the first things I would do is:

- reinstall the OS...to see if that fixes things. If we're talking OS 10.5...then I would also update to the latest version 10.5.8.

- make sure the eMac had a good PRAM battery.

I guess I'm not sure if you have a proper OS 10.5 install disk (black disk not gray disk)...or if you're working with the OS that was installed on these computers when you received them.

HTH,

- Nick

have already tried those things but thanks for the suggestions :Blushing:

OP
Familyguy9877
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get these from? Did you get them from a school as I suggested? Or somewhere else?

I got them off craigslist and i think they came from a catholic school with mac retarded techs beacuse they came with tape labels on them like regular auction computers, but almost every single one was diagnosed improperly

such as one of them said "no power" and that was one of them that worked perfectly... i don't know, makes me wonder why these people are even in charge of the macs, but hey if they mess up and the so called "broken machines" actually work fine or have very minor problems its just a better deal for me ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.