Does the MAC have these?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I know he was looking for answers and RIDE gave them, but the MAC all uppercase upsets a lot of us since it stands for Media Access Controller. I know he probably just made a mistake but many do get bugged by that.

Thanks RIDE for helping him.

Dude, I once bought a Mac on Ebay and when it arrived it was a truck.

Reaction score
Mac, MAC, mac, mAC, who cares. We all know what someone is talking about when they said "my new MAC." If you are seriously upset that someone spells mac in all caps you might need some professional help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
It's kinda like "could of" instead of "could have" or "their" instead of "they're". It really gets to some of us. It isn't quite OCD, but it's close.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I'm knot two worry'ed about it. Their are many weighs to spell too different words. I here we mite get spellcheck on the forums to. I don't no four sure, we will sea. That wood be rEdiculous. The weight is hard to bear four me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8
I'm knot two worry'ed about it. Their are many weighs to spell too different words. I here we mite get spellcheck on the forums to. I don't no four sure, we will sea. That wood be rEdiculous. The weight is hard to bear four me.

Hey, some of us are British. It's spellcheque, OK?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
eye due apologize

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS
I used to work at a hotel. There is a list of 10-20 questions I would get asked about 100 times a day, but to the person asking, it was the first time. To me, it was very annoying and could drive me nuts, but I had to look at it from the perspective of the person asking. It's not their fault they don't know and I'm always asked, so I can't take it out on them..

The way to handle this situation is to view every question as an opportunity to improve your delivery of the standard answer. More clearer, more pleasant, more succinct, etc. When you are known as the best person to answer the standard questions, you will have arrived. And the asker will go away with a great customer experience. Everyone wins!

Reaction score
No one here was "hating" on you KoolKat... just a little ribbing, along with some help and info.

Do it then brother! (or sister!) ;D:D

I LOVE my "PC"... It's a 20" iMac
;D

If your in the US it may have to wait awhile as being based in the UK I don't get other there much, and it's a BIG place but the sentiment stands....:D

RCh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 2GHz C2D 3Gb RAM 160 HDD; Macbook 2.2GHz; 4Gb RAM 160 HDD
Mac, MAC, mac, mAC, who cares. We all know what someone is talking about when they said "my new MAC." If you are seriously upset that someone spells mac in all caps you might need some professional help.
+1:) I believe that when these three letters are used in proper order on this particular forum it's quite safe to assume that a person refers to immortal divine creation of Nibbled Fruit. Otherwise, I'm afraid that whenver one uses the term "mouse" he or she has to clarify whether he refers to a pointing device or a little furry creature.

C'mon, switchers, let's keep our common sense switched on :)

OP
T
Reaction score
You said it

Nicely well put. I don't think it matters also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
You, know, I think part of it is that English is such a messed up language when it comes to spelling, with all of these stupid traditional spellings, that some people have such a bug up their nose when it comes to this type of thing. We're hammered from a young age that spelling is important, and spend hours and hours on it, that some people just can't get passed it.

Think of all the hours of wasted time in school teaching kids how to spell because we've retained antiquated and foreign spellings. We should instead do the intellegent thing and spelling phonetically.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
You, know, I think part of it is that English is such a messed up language when it comes to spelling, with all of these stupid traditional spellings, that some people have such a bug up their nose when it comes to this type of thing. We're hammered from a young age that spelling is important, and spend hours and hours on it, that some people just can't get passed it.

Think of all the hours of wasted time in school teaching kids how to spell because we've retained antiquated and foreign spellings. We should instead do the intellegent thing and spelling phonetically.

1st let me say that I couldn't possibly care less whether or not someone types mac, Mac, or MAC on the forums.... I also doubt that the other folks that mentioned the correct "Mac" care either.. they (we) were just informing people that there is a difference.... you know... educating.

But it has nothing to do whatsoever with spelling... The letters are in the correct order.. no spelling mistake was made.

Mac is most commonly the termed used for Apple Computers (especially here on these forums).

While MAC is an acronym for Media Access Control... Which is also very common on these forums... as in a MAC address used in computer networking.

Reaction score
And to be perfectly honest

That IS the beauty of English because as a language it evolves.

New words enter it all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
1st let me say that I couldn't possibly care less whether or not someone types mac, Mac, or MAC on the forums.... I also doubt that the other folks that mentioned the correct "Mac" care either.. they (we) were just informing people that there is a difference.... you know... educating.

But it has nothing to do whatsoever with spelling... The letters are in the correct order.. no spelling mistake was made.

Mac is most commonly the termed used for Apple Computers (especially here on these forums).

While MAC is an acronym for Media Access Control... Which is also very common on these forums... as in a MAC address used in computer networking.

Yes, that the spelling was correct is apparent to everyone. I was simply talking about the obsession people have with correcting peoples word usage on the internet, and suggesting it stems from our schooling. Considering your posts, where you used homophones in place of the correct words, I'd have thought it would have been obvious to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
And to be perfectly honest

That IS the beauty of English because as a language it evolves.

New words enter it all the time.

Yeah, but keeping a non-phonetic spelling for no reason other than tradition seems silly. Other languages don't do that. Italian, for instance, uses phonetic spellings (with two exceptions).

Reaction score
Think of all the hours of wasted time in school teaching kids how to spell because we've retained antiquated and foreign spellings.
It helps — a bit — if you know the historical hows and whys that caused it, that it isn't "just because." But whatever the reasons, we're stuck with it.

A good example of the complaint, usually attributed to George Bernard Shaw, is the nonsense word "ghoti," that MUST be pronounced as "fish" or you will get six weeks of detentions and 600 days of community service.

"gh" as in "cough", "o" as in "women", "ti" as in "nation."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
where you used homophones
What did you call me???!!!! :Not-Amused: :Not-Amused: ;D :D

Yeah, but keeping a non-phonetic spelling for no reason other than tradition seems silly.

Just out of curiosity... What words/spellings would you suggest the language use for the following words, as the are all phonically the same yet have no relation to each other in terms of definition.

There.... ....Their..... ....They're (I assume "They are")

Two.... To..... Two (maybe "one plus one" or "five minus three")

I did not major in English, nor do I hold a PHD in linguistics... but the reason for the different spellings, though there (kidding) phonically identical, is due to the fact that they differ in definition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
What did you call me???!!!! :Not-Amused: :Not-Amused: ;D :D

Just out of curiosity... What words/spellings would you suggest the language use for the following words, as the are all phonically the same yet have no relation to each other in terms of definition.

There.... ....Their..... ....They're (I assume "They are")

Two.... To..... Two (maybe "one plus one" or "five minus three")

I did not major in English, nor do I hold a PHD in linguistics... but the reason for the different spellings, though there (kidding) phonically identical, is due to the fact that they differ in definition.

Context should be good enough to identify the meaning of the word (it's what people do in other some languages), and contractions could continue to be used. In Italian they solve this problem by using a different form of "the" for the word-- "rosa" can mean "pink" or "rose", so it's "il rosa" for "the pink" and "la rosa" for "the rose".

Kind of wondered a bit from the main topic. Anyways, I've thought since about 3rd grade when I first started learning how to spell, that English spellings were arbitrary and overly difficult, and learning them was not only extremely borning but a waste of time (must be why I never did well in spelling).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.