Crashing 40 times a day

M

MacInWin

+1 for taking it to Apple (not a reseller) before the Applecare expires. Even if it's a long drive, make the appointment and take it in, see if it can be fixed while you wait for it. If it can, you've saved two weeks and if it cannot, they will ship it to you when it is fixed. But once Applecare expires, it could get VERY expensive, and take just as long.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just to be clear, I never said NOT to take it in with Apple Care. The OP was indicating he really did not want to take it in so I gave other options. Always if you have Apple Care try that route first.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just to be clear, I never said NOT to take it in with Apple Care.

Never doubted that for a second! I knew you would recommend the same course of action...take it to Apple.:)

In your last post above you said "If there is Applecare..."...so I wasn't sure you knew there was active Applecare involved.:)

I think that the OP is a pretty good distance from the nearest Apple Store. So getting to the local Apple Store may be inconvenient. As some of us know...Apple will send a shipping box for a repair to a persons home...so that is also an option. Just got to start the process before the Applecare expires.:)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Basically the OP has these options:

1. Make an appointment at the nearest Apple store, drive there, wait for it to be diagnosed/repaired and drive home. Best case, it's done in a day. Worst case, they keep it to repair, ship back to the OP when done. The OP mentioned Portland,

2. Call Apple, get them to send a shipping box, send it to be repaired and returned. Downside is a longer wait for the shipping to and from.

The OP mentioned Portland, don't know if that's Oregon or Maine, but depending on how far it is, it might be worth the drive if the OP doesn't want the wait.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I Truly hope the OP checks with Apple to see if there is Apple care for sure on that machine. Sending him a box would be cool for sure.

He must not live close to where I do as there are Apple stores all over. One right in town and one 30 miles north, another 80 miles north and one 90 miles south then going toward the bay area from here probably a few. Lucky here I guess. I did a whole report on our Apple Store grand opening. I posted it in great detail on two other forums I was admin on at the time. I wish I saved it all as maybe someone here would like to see some of it. I talked to the Apple people and they pushed others aside so I could get to the Mac Pro to give my report to the one forum! Very nice bunch of people at that store! There were so many there that night it reminded me of Sardines in a can! Packed wall to wall! :D

Also we have an excellent Mac store here that has been here for years. They honor Apple Care and do excellent work.

I would think if it were Portland Oregon there would be an Apple store up there. Probably Maine!

M

MacInWin

Well, my nearest Apple store is 40 miles away, but if I was having this problem, I'd make the drive.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, my nearest Apple store is 40 miles away, but if I was having this problem, I'd make the drive.

Agree for sure. 40 Miles really is nothing. If it were 400 miles then that would be quite a trip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Agree for sure. 40 Miles really is nothing. If it were 400 miles then that would be quite a trip.

Even 400 miles (800 miles round trip) in my Jeep @ 15mpg & $4.00 gas is only about $220. Still better than a $500+ logic board. 6.5 hours there, 2 hours at the store, 6.5 back - a long day but doable. I've done worse for less.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even 400 miles (800 miles round trip) in my Jeep @ 15mpg & $4.00 gas is only about $220. Still better than a $500+ logic board. 6.5 hours there, 2 hours at the store, 6.5 back - a long day but doable. I've done worse for less.

WOW...you're a driving MONSTER...if you would be willing to do that!;)

From my experiences lately with my local Apple store. They seem to be shipping the computers out for repair more & more...and doing less & less in store repairs while you wait.

I recently needed a trackpad replaced on my 13" MBP...which would have only taken 15-20 minutes for a repair tech (once they got to it) to do. But they shipped it out for repair...so it took something like 3 days (still not too bad).:)

So I'm thinking that the OP would have to make this round trip twice. Once to drop it off...and once to pick it up.

Apple does have very good shipping service for repairs. Pretty darn fast. I know that "RavingMac" had his laptop repaired via this method...and it was pretty fast turnaround.:)

- Nick

p.s. My Jeep Grand Cherokee gets about the same mpg!;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just reading the thread - based on the 2 logs - would have to say it is more than likely the graphics card.

Note the 3rd line under the date indicating it is a GPU panic. Along with the BSD processes listed of kernel_task and WindowServer with the GPU listed right above it. I haven't seen a ton of failed graphics, but the few I have, all listed the above.

Have to agree above since you're in warranty period. A 4 hr round trip to an Apple store instead of a reseller, maybe on Saturday, "might" save you a week of time without your Mac. The Apple store should have the equipment for the appropriate testing also.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob, I saw that GPU panic but was almost afraid to mention it. I also did some searching and there was a GPU recall on some 2009 MBP's. Found that in my search.

If he can't spare that much time driving, ask Apple for a box and ship it to them. Otherwise if it IS the GPU it's going to cost you a fortune.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Mid-2010
Wow, what an incredible support community! You are all correct of course that I must act and soon and I appreciated the gentle kick in the butt.

I am a she who works remotely from my home up in the Cascade mountains 1 ½ hours east of Eugene where The Mac Store is closest one. Tonight I Googled 'apple store oregon' and they were listed. But if they are a true apple store then I don't know why they would send it to Portland for repairs. One review confirmed that they send work to Portland so it isn't just me. Another review on them said, “I am looking forward to the day that an official Apple Store comes to town.” So are they or aren't they? Portland is another 1 ¾ hours north of Eugene and is a terrifying huge city but I will drive it if I must.

When I took my MacBook Pro in, they gave me a ticket number and they have it logged in their computer although all they looked at on my laptop was to find my serial number and verify that Apple Care is still good. And I didn't know it was covered by Apple Care until 1 ½ months ago when I talked to the original owner and he checked the records and said the business had paid for that protection. You see how this whole issue snuck up on me, in addition to my being new to Mac and also dragging my feet?

I will ask The Mac Store if it would save me time if I drove it to Portland myself. I will ask them to run diagnostics first since maybe they can just fix it in house. And I will let my Mac finally go since I have no choice. I will save money furiously and buy a second MacBook Pro ASAP so I NEVER have to be without it again.

Geez. Get me hooked on Mac and then take it away … just plain torture. I will let you all know the outcome. BTW, XJ, the SMC reset did not resolve it although it might be crashing a bit less. What a wonderful group you are. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
GingerKoko, thanks for the compliment. We try! :D

I checked and the only TRUE Apple run Apple store is in Portland and not in Eugene. That is why the Eugene store is sending it off to Portland. You can get a list of actual Apple Stores from Apple.com.

Good luck and let us know!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am a she who works remotely from my home up in the Cascade mountains 1 ½ hours east of Eugene where The Mac Store is closest one. Tonight I Googled 'apple store oregon' and they were listed. But if they are a true apple store then I don't know why they would send it to Portland for repairs.

This "The Mac Store" is not an official Apple Store...it is probably a local certified Apple repair place/store...but it is not an official Apple Store...staffed by official Apple paid employees.

This is not to say they aren't any good...but this "The Mac Store" may handle things differently than an official Apple Store. Just like if someone purchased an Apple computer from Best Buy...Best Buy will handle things differently.

If you "Google" for "Apple Stores Oregon"...you get the official Apple Store list:

Apple Retail Store - Store List

Which lists these three locations in Oregon:

Portland, Pioneer Place
Tigard, Bridgeport Village
Tigard, Washington Square

As already mentioned in this thread. If this is too far to drive (probably two times round trip)...Apple has an excellent program for shipping your computer to an official Apple repair location for diagnosis & repair (your computer will go directly to the repair facility)...the exact same place the official Apple Store would ship it to.

I believe that with Applecare...this shipping process (both ways) is free. You need to:

- call Apple (800 number...or thru the Apple website) to set things up.
- Then Apple sends you a very nice/very secure/very safe shipping box for your computer.
- Then you schedule a pickup (I think that it used to be FedEx)...or take the box to a local FedEx location.

Then you wait for your fixed computer to be returned (FedEx). Which shouldn't be too long.:)

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Wow! well I guess that he should be going to the Main apple store? right? or he can go to the mac store and let them check it. But i guess is t's still on warranty they can replace it right?

M

MacInWin

Alice, the machine is apparently covered by Applecare, an extender of the warranty. And yes, if it's covered by Applecare, Apple will fix it, whatever that takes. Sometimes the repair can be done in the store, sometimes it needs to go to a repair depot. But Apple stands behind their products very well.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Mid-2010
I thought The Mac Store WAS an apple store - that's how I found them in the first place was Googling 'apple store'. I only want true apple to work on this and I thought they were.

Yes, Apple Care is in effect - verified first by the seller, then by The Mac Store and then week ago I again verified through the Apple website. I am calling 'official' apple and making an appointment. I am going to drive it to Portland and then drive back up when it is fixed. Wish me luck. I am not used to driving in a city with a population greater than 700. :-/

I have backed up my Mac with Time Machine onto WD My Book. Is that safe enough in case something goes wrong or should I do a second backup onto another media? I have a windows machine I could use but it would take quite some time (200GB data) or can I leave all my stuff on this laptop? What would you all do to prepare?

Thank you all so much. You all have been incredible.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do Time Machine backups all the time and they have never let me down. If something goes wrong and I need to reinstall, I have a Flash Drive with Mavericks or Mountain Lion and just boot that and select restore from Time Machine backup. When finished the machine is just like it was before the issue.

Again good luck and keep us posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I thought The Mac Store WAS an apple store - that's how I found them in the first place was Googling 'apple store'. I only want true apple to work on this and I thought they were.

Yes, Apple Care is in effect - verified first by the seller, then by The Mac Store and then week ago I again verified through the Apple website. I am calling 'official' apple and making an appointment. I am going to drive it to Portland and then drive back up when it is fixed. Wish me luck. I am not used to driving in a city with a population greater than 700. :-/

I have backed up my Mac with Time Machine onto WD My Book. Is that safe enough in case something goes wrong or should I do a second backup onto another media? I have a windows machine I could use but it would take quite some time (200GB data) or can I leave all my stuff on this laptop? What would you all do to prepare?

Thank you all so much. You all have been incredible.

If you have a spare external disk drive, you could run a quick clone using Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper. Both have free versions that will clone your data and make a bootable copy on an external disk drive. Personally, I find cloning to be more reliable and quicker than Time Machine when I need to copy and backup an entire machine.

SuperDuper!

Mac Backup Software - Carbon Copy Cloner

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.