Crashing 40 times a day

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes, I am using it now, Nick. It is currently being nice … it must know I'm trying to heal it, ROFLMAO. I just remembered two other things I did: I purchased a WD My Book and set up time machine. And I installed something called Synergy so I could use Mac and Windows side by side. As is, I work only wireless not connected to either My Book or Windows. I go attach MyBook once in a while to run a backup is all.

The reason why I asked if you were communicating here with your MacBook Pro...you seem to be communicating pretty effectively & quickly...for a computer that's crashing 40x/day.;)

I would definitley do an SMC reset as suggested above. It will not hurt anything...and if you do it...and it solves the problem GREAT! If the SMC reset doesn't fix things...then you know that at least you did it. It costs nothing to do it...and it will not hurt anything.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found this when search for 15" instead of 17. GULP. I hope this isn't MY problem.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5026592

If you look long enough & hard enough...you can find any problem possible under the sun that could be related to your MBP problem...resulting in uneasy thoughts. What's mentioned in the link may or may not apply to you.

If someone has a runny nose (and if you search the internet)...you'll get all sorts of opinions on what it could be. Anything from a common cold to cancer. So one must be careful how they interpret what they read on the internet!;)

With your MBP...let's not assume the worst or the best...until we've done some aditional troubleshooting.:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Mid-2010
Indeed! When I found the logs I counted only 14 times today and about 25 yesterday. I work on computer 12-15 hours a day and I've stopped working completely on anything but this issue. It does seem nicer today than usual. LogMeIn, TeamViewer, Skype … are all most crash. Safari crashes when loading or will work for that web page - as in this instance.

Okay, I will do the SMC thing. Much appreciated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I will do the SMC thing. Much appreciated.

Please let us know how things turn out...so we know if the SMC Reset is/was successful.

This may take a while to determine...since you must wait for the computer to crash again (or not)...before claiming success or failure.

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'd try the SMC reset. We want to see if it fixes some of the logged issues, which appear to indicate that some low-level things are getting loaded improperly. If it doesn't help, it may be that you just need to reload some components like your Flash or Silverligh plugins. Does your system crash when you run your browser, but don't go to Flash/Silverlight/etc websites? Can you go to Flash/Silverlight/etc websites that are not Netflix and view content without problems? Just some thoughts on how to narrow things down. It may be that you need to buy a copy of OS X and reinstall at some point if true core OS-level components are messed up. You could try to run Disk Utility as a fix, but honestly, I've seen that utility fix issues it claims to fix about 1 in 10 times.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Mid-2010
BTW, I have a confession. This is under Apple Care plan until Nov 21, 2013.

But they said, since OS was re-installed and it still did it, they would have to send it off to Portland for diagnostics and repair and it would be gone two weeks. They did not examine it.

Oh. I cannot go without my Mac for two weeks so I am trying everything to fix it myself (with your help of course).

I have decided to purchase a second MacBook Pro so I will NEVER EVER be without a Mac again. But I can't afford to do that for at least 6 months. And I can't afford to rent a Mac right now. I am running out of time, Nick. But it isn't right to take your time just because I am feeling withdrawals and don't want to send my Mac off to strangers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BTW, I have a confession. This is under Apple Care plan until Nov 21, 2013.

If this is a hardware issue...you need to let Apple take care of it. 2 week turnaround or not. Otherwise it's going to cost you BIG BUCKS later when the Applecare is expired.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way. I had a trackpad replaced recently on a MacBook Pro. It needed to be sent out...and it was only a 3 day turn-around.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Mid-2010
I made an appointment. When I took it in and told them the OS had been reinstalled, they said they would need to send it off. They did not offer to even look at it. This is a certified reseller. :-/

It's been crashing for months but NOT THIS BAD. Each OS update, it increases the number of crashes I experience until this last one has doubled the crashes.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Mid-2010
Then I'd like to take my Mac where you took yours, Nick.

Keep in mind that I'm used to Windows where crashes are a fact of life. It wasn't until I told a friend (who Uses Mac) that it was crashing 3-4 times a day and he said that was MAJOR WRONG. That's when I made the appointment. I've been trying to save money so I can rent a Mac while it is gone.

Please ya'all don't be so judgemental. How would you like to give up YOUR Mac for two weeks? Of course I'm dragging my feet and trying anything else I can.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But they said, since OS was re-installed and it still did it, they would have to send it off to Portland for diagnostics and repair and it would be gone two weeks. They did not examine it.

Also. If the OS was reinstalled by Apple...and the problem still occurs (all info we should have been told earlier)!;)

This almost guarantees that this MBP has a hardware issue (which is NOT ram related)...since Apple would have tested for bad ram.

If this computer has a hardware issue...we can talk & suggest things in this thread until we are blue in the face...and nothing will change.

Knowing now that this computer was already examined by Apple...Apple reinstalled the OS...and the computer still has problems. It's almost 100% guaranteed that this computer needs something replaced. Could be a logic board, could be a fan, could be the trackpad...something.

If it's the logic board...these can cost $500+. You don't want to pay this AFTER the Applecare is expired. Get Apple to fix it NOW!

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Mid-2010
Also. If the OS was reinstalled by Apple...and the problem still occurs (all info we should have been told earlier)!;)

Knowing now that this computer was already examined by Apple...Apple reinstalled the OS...and the computer still has problems.

No, Nick, Apple has NOT examined it. Apples has NOT re-installed the OS. The business I purchased it from (manufacturing firm who had bought it new for an extra) reinstalled the OS.

I made an appointment with The Mac Store. I took it in for the appointment. I told them it was crashing 10-15 times a day. I told them the OS had been re-installed. They said they would need to send it off and it would be two weeks.

I think I will have to contact them again (I believe they were the only certified reseller in 100 miles of me) and insist they test it before sending it off. I appreciate your strong words. I was hoping that, if an update made it worse, and I kept sending logs to Apple, they would see they messed up and the next update would fix it but it never happened.

You were my last resort. I am sorry if I offended or appeared to take advantage of any of you; that was not my intent. I LIVE on this MacBook for both business and personal.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then I'd like to take my Mac where you took yours, Nick.

I took mine to my local Apple Store. I do not know your exact location...but even if your local Apple Store isn't very close...it is worth your while to make the trip and have Apple deal with it (not an Apple reseller)...especially since the Applecare is running out soon.

The Apple reseller may be fine...but this may also be adding extra steps to the repair process...which may be adding extra time.

Please ya'all don't be so judgemental. How would you like to give up YOUR Mac for two weeks? Of course I'm dragging my feet and trying anything else I can.

I can almost guarantee if you have your local Apple Store take care if it...it won't take two weeks. I don't think that I've ever heard of a repair taking two weeks.

Whether you dislike or not...not having your computer...you really don't have a choice...you gotta have Apple look at it & repair it!

Of course your other choice is (if you don't want someone else messing with your computer). Pay for all of the new parts out of your own pocket (big bucks)...replace the parts yourself (hopefully nothing is damaged in the process)...and hopefully you got the right part & things are corrected.

The other option is to continue using it as is (not a very desireable option).

Obviously the BEST option is to take it to Apple...ESPECIALLY since you have Applecare!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, Nick, Apple has NOT examined it. Apples has NOT re-installed the OS. The business I purchased it from (manufacturing firm who had bought it new for an extra) reinstalled the OS.

I made an appointment with The Mac Store. I took it in for the appointment. I told them it was crashing 10-15 times a day. I told them the OS had been re-installed. They said they would need to send it off and it would be two weeks.

I think I will have to contact them again (I believe they were the only certified reseller in 100 miles of me) and insist they test it before sending it off. I appreciate your strong words. I was hoping that, if an update made it worse, and I kept sending logs to Apple, they would see they messed up and the next update would fix it but it never happened.

If you noticed...I rewrote my post that you quoted after I reread your post I was replying to.:)

You were my last resort. I am sorry if I offended or appeared to take advantage of any of you; that was not my intent. I LIVE on this MacBook for both business and personal.

No...we were not the last resort (not yet). This problem has existed for months...and you have had Applecare the whole time. This computer should have been examined by Apple months ago.

If you did not still have Applecare...then maybe we would have been the last resort.:)

But as I mentioned earlier. If this computer has a hardware issue...nothing we say here will help...since a broken part is a broken part. And the only way to fix a broken part is to have it replaced with a good part.:)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To the OP, you said or did nothing wrong. We are glad to help you!!!

I was hoping something in the Log would strike a cord with someone here.

If it were me and I could not take it to an Apple store, I would try other RAM and see if the KP still happened also and reinstall the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Did the SMC reset help?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it were me and I could not take it to an Apple store, I would try other RAM and see if the KP still happened also and reinstall the OS.

This is definitely what I was going to suggest next.:) But first choice (IMHO) with active Applecare...is check with Apple first.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This is definitely what I was going to suggest next.:) But first choice (IMHO) with active Applecare...is check with Apple first.

- Nick

If there is Apple Care I 100% agree. I wonder where the OP lives that he is that far from an Apple store?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If there is Apple Care I 100% agree. I wonder where the OP lives that he is that far from an Apple store?

OP mentioned having Applecare here:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...5280-crashing-40-times-day-2.html#post1548426

Problem is...OP has had this computer problem for months...and the Applecare expires on November 21, 2013. It's now November 5th. The problem could be as simple as ram...or as much as a new logic board. Either way...it may be best to get Apple involved at this point.:)

If this thread was started months ago (when more Applecare time remained)...then we would have the luxury of discussing things more in this thread. But now I'm thinking time is getting a bit short.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.