Considering replacing mid 2010iMac, need advice.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mini, MB Air (Early 2015), iMac (mid 2010),Touch (32G)
Randy, et. al. I'm writing this on my newly acquired Mini. I was able to get the 2021 version of Office and now I'm set. For the most part. (Now I'm just looking for accessories)

But I want to say THANKS for all your help.

mike

Reaction score
Looks like I'm finally going to get this ball rolling, getting a Microsoft account, then Microsoft 365 ...

You can currently get a lifetime license (one-time fee) for Microsoft Office for the Mac for only $25 from:

Office 2021 Home and Business Lifetime License Key – For MacOs

https://www.joywarp.com/product/office-2021-home-and-business-lifetime-license-key-for-macos/

Office 2021 is the latest version of Office, it is compatible with:

• macOS 10.15: "Catalina"
• macOS 11 "Big Sur"
• macOS 12 "Monterey"

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
As for getting a MS account just make sure you don't already have one, eg if you have Skype or MS Office for Mac OS you probably already do.
Getting MS Office 365 seems to be the popular way to go although I have the MS Office for MacOS 2021 (Home and Student).
The only thing I can say is backup, backup, backup, before you make any major changes. Preferably, Time Machine or better.
What were you thinking of upgrading your macOS to? You say you have Mojave now, personally I'd go all the way to Monterey. Catalina and Big Sur were really just steps on the road to Monterey. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Randy, et. al. I'm writing this on my newly acquired Mini. I was able to get the 2021 version of Office and now I'm set. For the most part. (Now I'm just looking for accessories)
Congrats on getting a new Mac-Mini.:) Can we assume it was a 2020 M1 Mac-Mini?

You also mentioned loving the 27" display of your 2010 iMac. What did you decide to go with for a display for your new Mac-Mini...or has this not been finalized yet?

Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on getting a new Mac-Mini.:) Can we assume it was a 2020 M1 Mac-Mini?

You also mentioned loving the 27" display of your 2010 iMac. What did you decide to go with for a display for your new Mac-Mini...or has this not been finalized yet?

Nick
Nick, Yes, 2020 M1 Mini. As for monitor, first I tried an LG Gaming 31", but it was just too big for my space. So currently I'm using another LG 27", a fairly budget friendly unit. If it doesn't satisfy, I'll bite the bullet and get a high dollar display. I don't game, so don't need anything super ultra HD or anything. I have my old iMac very close to my new setup, so I'll compare some photos side by side. But for now I'm adjusting settings and am OK with this unit.

Next up is looking to expand my USB ports etc.

All in all the upgrade to the Mini has been fairly painless.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What accessories do you need? We can probably help with that!

My pleasure! We're here to help. :)
Randy,

Right now I'm looking for a hub (if that's the right term). Something to give me more places to plug in USBs, an SD card and my GPS. (I will need an optical reader occasionally) and my printer, but that can go in the Mini's back port.

Possibly a stand for the Mini, but I'll live with what I have for a while and see how goes.
I saw this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LTG15KV/?tag=macforums0e4-20
But I don't really need to have an external HD plugged in all the time.

I do an occasional Zoom meeting, so maybe a camera, but I use Zoom so seldom, I'm not too keen on a bulky kligon at the top of monitor for very occasional use.

I sprung for the Magic keyboard and mouse, so I'm good there.

All in all the transition has been fairly easy. I used and external SSD and Time Machine and most stuff came across fine. I'm missing a number of older emails, but I'll fuss around and see if I can find them in an odd place. If not I'll be asking about that from y'all ( on the software forum).

And thanks for the tip on the one-time buy for MS Office, that was really straight forward, cheap and easy!

Reaction score
Right now I'm looking for a hub (if that's the right term). Something to give me more places to plug in USBs, an SD card and my GPS. (I will need an optical reader occasionally) and my printer, but that can go in the Mini's back port.

Check out this hub:

USB C Hub Multiport Adapter, GIISSMO 7-in-1 USB-C Hub with 4K 60Hz, 100W Power Delivery, USB-C and 2 USB 3.0 5Gbps Data Ports, SD/TF Card Reader
$25
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B67P1BM5

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.