Considering replacing mid 2010iMac, need advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mini, MB Air (Early 2015), iMac (mid 2010),Touch (32G)
I've got a mid 2010 27" imac. I just put in an 1 TB SSD and put in the max RAM a few months ago. It seems to be doing fine except my old version of MS Office didn't take to the new hard drive.

My machine is 12 years old and after reading the post about 'Keeping your Mac running it's best...', it seems 5 years is a reasonable time to think about replacing it.

I don't have a lot of power needs, an occasional photo edit, and some Excel spreadsheets I keep updated (I've tried Numbers, but it seem klunky and I've not been able to find answers on how to get stuff that was fairly easy on Excel to work with Numbers).

My daily stuff is web oriented and email. Plus I have a fair amount of documents and charts for family business stuff. I have mulitlple SDD externals that I use for backup, one for photos, one for docs etc.

As for plugins, I use a wired Mac keyboard and have a cable for plugging in my cycling gps plus my printer is via USB. I like the micro card slot for photos. Also I leave a USB cord for plugging in my external HDs. Oh, and I have a standard set of speakers plugged into the headphone jack.

I very occasionally do a Zoom meeting, very seldom, but would like to keep that option open.

Since, currently, there’s no new 27 inchers from Apple, I’m entertaining the idea of getting a new Mini. I love my 27” screen and would like to either use my existing or get another monitor.

After all the above, what’s involved with putting together a system with a Mini? Just get a Mini and plug everything into it?
I have the new SSD, I just installed and an external dock, can I (or is it necessary) to use this as another external HD for the Mini?
Currently I’m using El Capitan, what changes, issues might I expect with the latest OS?

Thanks yet again for your help,
mike

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After all the above, what’s involved with putting together a system with a Mini? Just get a Mini and plug everything into it?
* You will need a display for a new Mac-Mini (can't use iMac 27" display with Mac-Mini).
* Your current keyboard & mouse (wired or wireless)...should work.
I have the new SSD, I just installed and an external dock, can I (or is it necessary) to use this as another external HD for the Mini?
Depends on how much storage space you need. New Mac-Mini's come with 256GB of SSD storage in them (smaller than the 1TB SSD you installed in your iMac).

Internal storage in the new Mac-Mini can ONLY be upgraded at time of purchase. I would probably
Currently I’m using El Capitan, what changes, issues might I expect with the latest OS?
*None of the user installed software on your 2010 iMac will run on a new Mac-Mini.
* If you have any peripherals (such as a printer)...it may or may not work with a new Mac-Mini (depends on its age).

HTH,

Nick

p.s. Whatever the issues are with a new Mac-Mini...after 12 years with your 2010 iMac...it's time for an upgrade!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
*None of the user installed software on your 2010 iMac will run on a new Mac-Mini.

This isn't absolutely true. Anything that's 32-bits certainly won't run, but many if not most apps that are 64-bits already should be fine, at least for the time being with Rosetta. It may be worth taking a look at Roaring Apps to check on what works.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This isn't absolutely true. Anything that's 32-bits certainly won't run, but many if not most apps that are 64-bits already should be fine, at least for the time being with Rosetta. It may be worth taking a look at Roaring Apps to check on what works.
I was looking at this from the El Capitan perspective (macOS version currently installed on this 2010 iMac)...not from an Intel vs. Apple Silicon perspective.

I'm guessing many/most things that run on El Capitan...most likely won't run on macOS Big Sur (minimum macOS for an M1 Mac-Mini).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was looking at this from the El Capitan perspective (macOS version currently installed on this 2010 iMac)...not from an Intel vs. Apple Silicon perspective.

I'm guessing many/most things that run on El Capitan...most likely won't run on macOS Big Sur (minimum macOS for an M1 Mac-Mini).

- Nick

There are quite a lot of apps that run on El Capitan and later just fine. Here's one example: RedButton DMG. It hasn't been updated since 2010; the developer's website no longer exists; yet it works fine under Monterey on my M1 MacBook Air.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
It sounds to me,
like you would be happy to keep your current setup if you could get MS Office to work as before?
If so and you simply transferred it to the new SSD via a backup might I suggest you reinstall it from Microsoft. It's a big download but a fairly simple process.

Reaction score
It sounds to me,
like you would be happy to keep your current setup if you could get MS Office to work as before?
If so and you simply transferred it to the new SSD via a backup might I suggest you reinstall it from Microsoft. It's a big download but a fairly simple process.

If the OP can prove to Microsoft that he actually owns a license to the version of MS Office that he is running (e.g. if he presents the original serial number), all that he has to do is call Microsoft and they will give him a fresh activation code to make it run again.

If he needs a new installer, he can download one from:

https://macadmins.software/

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds to me,
The MS thing would be a big help, but I've been getting messages from various other places that say the version of my preferred browser (Mozilla) needs to be updated. But according to Mozilla, it's updated as far as it can go.
I'm also getting very very random glitches from my iMac that give me pause.
Back to the Office issue, I got it from an employee purchase program, and am now retired. Technically I was supposed to stop using it after I retired. I do have the email that allowed me to download my copy, and tried using that, but MS doesn't recognize it. But I got 7+ years out of it post retirement. Even my copy of MS is 7 or 8 years old. I'm dreading having even to learn MS again. I did try to figure out Pages and Numbers but not very successfully for occasional use.

Then there is the thing that I have gotten more than a decade of good use from the iMac. (In the mean time my wife's gone thru 3 or 4 PCs) so I feel I've gotten my money's worth, even with the latest upgrades.

Thanks, Rod, for your input.

mike

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are quite a lot of apps that run on El Capitan and later just fine. Here's one example: RedButton DMG. It hasn't been updated since 2010; the developer's website no longer exists; yet it works fine under Monterey on my M1 MacBook Air.
I glad you mentioned apps. I don't really think in those terms, but i got to looking at what I do have and I don't have too many. A couple gps apps, Audacity, a couple for downloading music that I'm guessing will be OK with the new OS and MS Office.
Plus I'll keep my old machine if I absolutely have to use the old apps.

This is why I ask you experts. You guys/gals, know stuff.

Thanks,
mike

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
* You will need a display for a new Mac-Mini (can't use iMac 27" display with Mac-Mini).
* Your current keyboard & mouse (wired or wireless)...should work.

Depends on how much storage space you need. New Mac-Mini's come with 256GB of SSD storage in them (smaller than the 1TB SSD you installed in your iMac).

Internal storage in the new Mac-Mini can ONLY be upgraded at time of purchase. I would probably

* If you have any peripherals (such as a printer)...it may or may not work with a new Mac-Mini (depends on its age).

HTH,

Nick

p.s. Whatever the issues are with a new Mac-Mini...after 12 years with your 2010 iMac...it's time for an upgrade!:)
Just what I was looking for. I think I'll go for it.
Thanks,
mike

Reaction score
Even my copy of MS is 7 or 8 years old. I'm dreading having even to learn MS again.

I've been using Microsoft Office for decades. While it is constantly being updated, at its core it is always the same. Even making a big leap between versions, it shouldn't take long to find where everything that you are used to is. And if you can't, there are plenty of online video tutorials to bring you up to speed. e.g.:
https://www.linkedin.com/learning/s...ge-learning_learning-search-bar_search-submit

I did try to figure out Pages and Numbers but not very successfully for occasional use.

Once you are used to using MS Office, other products are very difficult to adjust to.

Here is a product that might solve all of your problems. It is a FREE clone of MS Office. It's so similar to MS Office that some folks don't even notice that it's not MS Office! It isn't quite as full featured as MS Office, but it's close, and it may be all that you need:

FreeOffice (free)
https://www.freeoffice.com/en/

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been using Microsoft Office for decades. While it is constantly being updated, at its core it is always the same. Even making a big leap between versions, it shouldn't take long to find where everything that you are used to is. And if you can't, there are plenty of online video tutorials to bring you up to speed. e.g.:
microsoft office 2021: Online Courses, Training and Tutorials on LinkedIn Learning

Once you are used to using MS Office, other products are very difficult to adjust to.

Here is a product that might solve all of your problems. It is a FREE clone of MS Office. It's so similar to MS Office that some folks don't even notice that it's not MS Office! It isn't quite as full featured as MS Office, but it's close, and it may be all that you need:

FreeOffice (free)
FreeOffice for Windows, Mac and Linux
Thanks Randy, that sounded like just the ticket, but it requires 10.12 or later. I just have 10.11.
If for some reason I can't get the lifetime copy, I'll definitely check this out.
mike

Reaction score
Thanks Randy, that sounded like just the ticket, but it requires 10.12 or later. I just have 10.11.
If for some reason I can't get the lifetime copy, I'll definitely check this out.

I have some bad news. MS Office 2021 only supports the three most recent versions of the Mac OS:
• Version 10.15: "Catalina"
• Version 11 "Big Sur" (in some contexts, reports as 10.16 for backward compatibility*)
• Version 12 "Monterey"

So, it's a option if you are going to purchase a new Macintosh. But it's not an option of you are considering keeping your 12 year old Mac.

As someone who has a similarly old Macintosh in his office (I keep it to run legacy software that has never been updated and which is irreplaceable) I can tell you that a 12 year old Mac is a losing proposition as one's primary computer. No modern Web browsers can be run on it, and such an old Mac is quickly becoming out of touch with modern technology.

Macs, in my personal opinion, should be replaced about every 5 years if you are using them in a business, and at least every 7 years if they are a home computer. At least that's what I tell my clients. It's a matter of debate, but a 12 year old Mac is well outside of those bounds.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do tend to push the envelope with most of my stuff. I ride my road bike in the mountains. Drive my old BMW on dirt roads. Make my old computers last as long a possible. I do have backups for my valuable stuff.
I just ordered a new Mini, so I just have to look for a decent monitor now.
I'm sure I got my money's worth out of this old unit.

Thanks for all your help.

Reaction score
I do tend to push the envelope with most of my stuff. ...Make my old computers last as long a possible. I do have backups for my valuable stuff.

It isn't a matter of being macho, or frugal, or anything like that.

The problem is that technology advances quickly. When you hold on to an old computer as your primary computer too long, you open yourself up to having all of your work product orphaned.

For instance, tons of users really loved AppleWorks, a slick multi-function app. They did all of their word processing, graphics, and database work in the program. Then Apple discontinued it. Folks who stood pat, and kept on using their old computers and AppleWorks for many years after it was discontinued found that when they finally got around to buying a new Mac that all of the translators to move their old data to new programs had already come and gone. Their data was now orphaned.

Not only does this happen with software, it happens with hardware too. Some folks are starting to find that it's really hard to find external optical disk drives that will work with their brand new Macs. In a few years, folks with a large collection of stuff on optical disks may find that accessing those disks on a modern Mac isn't possible.

"Pushing the envelope" with your old computer can cause you to be SOL later.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It isn't a matter of being macho, or frugal, or anything like that.

The problem is that technology advances quickly. When you hold on to an old computer as your primary computer too long, you open yourself up to having all of your work product orphaned.

For instance, tons of users really loved AppleWorks, a slick multi-function app. They did all of their word processing, graphics, and database work in the program. Then Apple discontinued it. Folks who stood pat, and kept on using their old computers and AppleWorks for many years after it was discontinued found that when they finally got around to buying a new Mac that all of the translators to move their old data to new programs had already come and gone. Their data was now orphaned.

Not only does this happen with software, it happens with hardware too. Some folks are starting to find that it's really hard to find external optical disk drives that will work with their brand new Macs. In a few years, folks with a large collection of stuff on optical disks may find that accessing those disks on a modern Mac isn't possible.

"Pushing the envelope" with your old computer can cause you to be SOL later.
That's sobering. I have my valuable stuff on HDs, mostly SDDs now. I have a few sets of photos on CDs from a decade ago, that's about the only stuff I have on optical discs. However I will need to get something so I can download some of my CDs onto a hard drive.

But thanks for the heads up. I don't use my computer for buisness or anything, thank goodness.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I glad you mentioned apps. I don't really think in those terms, but i got to looking at what I do have and I don't have too many. A couple gps apps, Audacity, a couple for downloading music that I'm guessing will be OK with the new OS and MS Office.
Plus I'll keep my old machine if I absolutely have to use the old apps.

This is why I ask you experts. You guys/gals, know stuff.

There is a version of Audacity specific for Apple Silicon, so you are good to go long term on that. Office is one of those that you will need to update.

Reaction score
Hey all!

I've asked here before about my 2019 imac and MBP, both still running 10.14.6 and Office 2008--updating the OS from MOJAVE.

Looks like I'm finally going to get this ball rolling, getting a Microsoft account, then Microsoft 365 on the MBP, updating the OS on the MBP, making sure our ancient files are okay, then repeating this on the iMac (which stores...everything we have and have had for, well, seemingly ever).

If there's anything bad about this plan, please please please, let me know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.