• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

College students - buy a Mac, get an iPod Nano FREE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
You are not eligible for the free iPod deal, thats only for college students

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16ghz 15" MacBook Pro, black 30gb ipod video, black 2gb Nano.
They wanted my college email address to honor the deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4 / 12" PowerBook G4 x 2
Mister-Twoster said:
They wanted my college email address to honor the deal.

Mine was....

I bought 15" MacBook Pro with a free nano but I upgraded to a 30GB iPod just add extra HK$800 and plus wireless mighty mouse with a student discount too. How cool was that. But they forgot to copy my student ID card so they kept calling me.. hehehe... never had the chance to go back. :black:

Reaction score
I just bought a Macbook and Nano and plan on getting the rebate. I work for a University and just wanted to know from anyone who has gotten the rebate what kind of proof they ask for. I didn't see any in the facts about the rebate. I assume they check this stuff out before sending you $180.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
I'm getting into a weird situation with this rebate. I purchased an iPod nano and iMac on Aug. 22nd. At first it seemed like everything would be good, but now the iMac isn't going to be shipped until at least Sept. 13th. The store says it will be a week and a half after that before they get the iMac. Since I need the UPC from the iMac I can't apply for the rebate until I get the iMac. Therefore I'm up against two deadlines, the rebate end date of Sept. 16th and the 30 days after purchase that I have to send in the rebate. It seems that either way it is cut (either Aug 22nd being the purchase date or the delivery date being the purchase date) I am gonna get screwed. Has anyone had a similar experience with Apple and how did it work out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Read the fine print, it says you are fine if you ordered it before the deadline.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Thanks for the info. I checked it out and this is what I found:

In the event that a qualifying product is ordered during the promotion dates and shipped after the end date of the promotion, Apple offers an additional fifteen (15) day grace period for postmark of the claim provided that you submit proof of order acknowledgement demonstrating that you placed the order during the promotion period.

I'm not really sure that I understand what the additional 15 day grace period is. Does this mean that I would have 45 days from the day it is received? Or does it mean that I have 45 days from the order date? While it hopefully won't matter (and I get the order within a month from the order date), I just want to be sure because the iPod offer was a big reason I wound up going with this computer. I'll probably go down to the Apple store tomorrow and ask them.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Or call Apple and explain the problem. They will give you an extension.

Reaction score
Is the free Nano Apple's way of getting rid of old stock before announcing a new iPod model? I remember they gave Walkers crisps in the UK a lot of reduced-price Minis for that same reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
There will probably be nano updates in the next few months, but the deal will be dead by then

Reaction score
HIFTBSO said:
I read all that before I ordered my Mac but it doesn't say anything about what they need to verify you are a student/teacher. Does anyone know?

When I called them to ask about it, they said they didn't need any proof! I ordered my MacBook, got the free Nano and a $100 back to boot! They casually asked where I was going to school, but did not ask for proof.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You may not have to prove you are a student on the phone, but I think they later.

Reaction score
rman said:
You may not have to prove you are a student on the phone, but I think they later.

Nope. I filled out the form for the rebate online and nowhere on the form did it ask for proof of enrollment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 2Ghz 20", MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 13"
I didn't decide to go for the free iPod since I already have one, nor their other offers. Interestingly enough when I bought my iMac with education discount, they didn't even need to see my school ID. Basic in and out purchase..

E

enjoymarcus

Hey guys, just wondering, does this Student offer allow us to get the new nanos? Last year I remember getting my ibook a week after the nano was announced, but they would only allow me to have a ipod mini or the 4th gen ipod, with £100 rebate offer. However, haven't they stopped selling the old nanos altogether, leaving only the new ipod nanos available for the student deal?

If anyone can clear this up for me it would be great, Im going to the London apple shop to get a macbook 2moro.

Reaction score
an iPod would make a great gift. I mean just put it on ebay or keep it as a backup.

groggy23 said:
I didn't decide to go for the free iPod since I already have one, nor their other offers. Interestingly enough when I bought my iMac with education discount, they didn't even need to see my school ID. Basic in and out purchase..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.