Big Sur 11.1 now available for download

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sure looks like is IS an SSD drive. At least it looks like it to me.

Nope. Device Name: "ST1000DM003" is a Seagate spinner Hard Drive (1TB drive)

I suspect what you may have is a "Fusion" drive. A combination of a small SSD and large spinner drive.

So I *could* go to Catalina and/or beyond without issue--except for my Office 2008 and similar items being obsolete under Catalina? That would be my problem. Major problem for me.

Office 2008 will definitely not work beyond Mojave, nor will any other 32 bit apps. So consider that before you update.

Reaction score
It’s why I don’t want to upgrade the OS.

I was also told that non-SSD drives don’t do well with Catalina?

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was also told that non-SSD drives don’t do well with Catalina?

In your situation, it doesn't matter because Mojave has already reformatted your drive(s) to APFS which does not work as well with spinner type drives. As I stated above, it appears you have a Fusion drive which is a combination of a small SSD and large spinner.

Apple designed its new format (APFS) so that it would enhance the performance of SSDs. It doesn't do as well with spinner drives and can actually slow them down somewhat.

Unless you're prepared to update Office and other apps that are 32 bit, it's best to stick with Mojave for the time being.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Thanks, I followed instructions on finding the type drive:
View attachment 33063

Sure looks like is IS an SSD drive. At least it looks like it to me.

So I *could* go to Catalina and/or beyond without issue--except for my Office 2008 and similar items being obsolete under Catalina? That would be my problem. Major problem for me.

Well, looking at the specs (storage shown below) of the 2019 iMac HERE, the baseline storage was a 1TB or 2TB Fusion Drive (meaning that there is about a 128 GB SSD as part of the fusion setup) - now as indicated the HDD could be upgraded to a pure SSD all the way up to 2 TB, but that would be a major additional expense (that you can check on your invoice).

Just over a year ago, I bought a new 2019 iMac (smaller display) and the baseline storage was a fusion HDD - I upgraded to a 512 GB SSD, so unless you also upgraded to a 'pure' SSD drive, then you likely have a fusion HDD (which is the 'Device Name' ID number in your pic).

Hopefully others will come along and verify my comments (or not?) - Dave
Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 5.03.24 PM.png

Reaction score
You guys are, as usual, wonderful. I’ll tell my husband we’re leaving it as is for now.

Have a Merry Christmas, or hope you had a Happy Channukah, or Happy Kwanzaa, or Merry Yule, or Happy-End-This-****-Year!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys are, as usual, wonderful. I’ll tell my husband we’re leaving it as is for now.

Have a Merry Christmas, or hope you had a Happy Channukah, or Happy Kwanzaa, or Merry Yule, or Happy-End-This-****-Year!

Wife is Jewish, so we've been lighting a menorah for decades - last evening was the eighth night - first pic below is our usual menorah, but she has collected five over the years, so we decided to use a different one - a metallurgic work of art w/ the 8 candles lit, plus the shamash, far right. Dave :)
Menorah_09.jpg
Menorah2_2020Web.jpg

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very nice Dave.

But I wonder if folks know where "Channukah" (Feast of Lights) originated from? If not, a read through:

Best wishes to you and your wife.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very nice Dave.

But I wonder if folks know where "Channukah" (Feast of Lights) originated from? If not, a read through:

Best wishes to you and your wife.

Hi Charlie - well, my knowledge is limited (as is my wife's facts - she grew up in New Jersey in a very reformed Jewish family; her father, a cardiologist, loved to eat bacon!) - in summary: 1) Name of the 'festival' can be spelled many different ways (see below, edited from Wiki); 2) Starts before Christmas time; 3) Lasts for 8 nights; 4) Celebrates the Maccabean revolt against a remnant of Alexander the Great's empire (the Seleucids); and 5) Our son use to get a small toy or present on each night (he also got Christmas presents). Thanks for your comments and link - have a safe and happy holiday season. Dave :)

Hanukkah, a.k.a Chanukah, Ḥanukah, Chanuka, Hanuka) is a Jewish festival commemorating an early victory in the Maccabean revolt against the Seleucid Empire: the recapture of Jerusalem in the year 164 BCE, and subsequent rededication of the Second Temple. It is also known as the Festival of Lights. Hanukkah is observed for eight nights and days, which may occur at any time from late November to late December. The festival is observed by lighting the candles of a candelabrum with nine branches, called a menorah. One branch is typically placed above or below the others and its candle is used to light the other eight candles. This unique candle is called the shamash. Each night, one additional candle is lit by the shamash until all eight candles are lit together on the final night of the festival. (edited; Source)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
There are alternatives to Office 2008, some free, but what "other items" are you concerned with?

Reaction score
There are alternatives to Office 2008, some free, but what "other items" are you concerned with?

My logitech remote. Husband has a sidekick(?). Sideclick(?). Whatever. The Sony remote broke after the credit card's extension of the warranty expired. I don't think we'll buy a Sony tv again.

Reaction score
Hi Charlie - well, my knowledge is limited (as is my wife's facts - she grew up in New Jersey in a very reformed Jewish family; her father, a cardiologist, loved to eat bacon!) - in summary: 1) Name of the 'festival' can be spelled many different ways (see below, edited from Wiki); 2) Starts before Christmas time; 3) Lasts for 8 nights; 4) Celebrates the Maccabean revolt against a remnant of Alexander the Great's empire (the Seleucids); and 5) Our son use to get a small toy or present on each night (he also got Christmas presents). Thanks for your comments and link - have a safe and happy holiday season. Dave :)

Chag sameach! My husband (raised Catholic) likes fire, so this is the only holiday we celebrate--no parents to have seders anymore. Growing up, we never got 8 gifts; my parents didn't have a lot of money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
How is the Logitech remote related to your Mac? And can you get the details on your husband's whatever device? It's hard to give advice without some specifics on what the real issue might be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chag sameach! My husband (raised Catholic) likes fire, so this is the only holiday we celebrate--no parents to have seders anymore. Growing up, we never got 8 gifts; my parents didn't have a lot of money.

Happy Holidays to you & husband! I was raised Catholic also - wife's parents use to visit us during the time for seders and her father would lead the event - son's presents were quite small and inexpensive, such as a dreidel each time for one - he 'cleaned up' more at Christmas. Dave :)

Reaction score
How is the Logitech remote related to your Mac? And can you get the details on your husband's whatever device? It's hard to give advice without some specifics on what the real issue might be.

I'm not too worried about this right now, since I don't have to upgrade yet. I figure that, when I get the Office worked out, they'll have updated the app for the remote. Husband's remote is just to help him hold it, cause the Appletv remote is so dang slippery.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If your Logitech remote uses their software to set up the remote and teach it what gear you have, check their website. There is a new piece of software that is not 32-bit and therefore and seems to work with the newer macOS versions. The software isn't perfect, but it seems to be no worse than their previous software.

If you need help finding the software and f9guring things out start a new thread and I'll try my best to help.

Reaction score
I installed 11.1 over 11.0.1 and it seems to have even more snappy performance. Could be just me, but I'm liking Big Sur a lot.
i'm runnig iMac Retina 4k 21.5 i5 (desktop) smoking with Ver. 11.1 ... retired my Macbook Air (laptop) ... keeping it for any and all emergencies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If your Logitech remote uses their software to set up the remote and teach it what gear you have, check their website. There is a new piece of software that is not 32-bit and therefore and seems to work with the newer macOS versions. The software isn't perfect, but it seems to be no worse than their previous software.

Mmmmm... actually it is worse. There's no way in the 64-bit Harmony Desktop app to customize the LCD menu options on the top of the Harmony remotes like the 665 model and similar ones. It's a stunningly huge omission and I'm just flabbergasted over how they have failed to address this by now.

They have another piece of software (Logitech Harmony Remote Software version 7.x) for older remotes than what I use that may not be missing this feature, but that software is also not yet compatible with Big Sur in particular.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I find some things lacking in the new software as well. I have only played with it a little, so I didn't notice the lack of customizations.. I still have the old software on my MB Pro and will likely continue using that.

If I could find better remote alternatives at anything near a reasonable price, I'd try it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I find some things lacking in the new software as well. I have only played with it a little, so I didn't notice the lack of customizations.. I still have the old software on my MB Pro and will likely continue using that.

If I could find better remote alternatives at anything near a reasonable price, I'd try it.

Yeah, Logitech obviously just has no incentive to step it up here. What I've had to do to get around this is use the Windows version of their software via VMware Fusion just for those top LCD menus. Works great that way for now, but not an option on the M1 Macs at this time.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I might look into that as an option. It hadn't occurred to me to do that. I have a Windows box I could use or do as you suggested and run a virtual machine.

I hate having to do either of these options just because these guys can't, or won't, write decent Mac software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.