Big Sur 11.1 now available for download

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As the title says.....

Please be sure to make a backup prior to downloading. Use Time Machine or cloning software; preferably both.

Do not confuse this update with Big Sur 11.0.1 as they are not the same. This update is new and was issued this morning.

Have fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
As the title says.....

Please be sure to make a backup prior to downloading. Use Time Machine or cloning software; preferably both.

Do not confuse this update with Big Sur 11.0.1 as they are not the same. This update is new and was issued this morning.

Charlie or others who care to respond. I've held off upgrading to Big Sur on my MBAir & iMac until at least this 11.1 release and will likely wait a week or so - but have a couple of questions: 1) Since my 2 computers are on Catalina, will this current upgrade take me directly to 11.1 or will I need to go through 11.0.1; and 2) My backups are duplicates of both TM & CCC, which I'll do for both computers before the Big Sur upgrade - can I simply continue on w/ the same external drives once these machines are on Big Sur or should one start over partially or totally w/ new drives and/or reformatted drives? Thanks to all for any comments. Dave :)

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Dave:

I believe this update will take you to 11.1 without having to install 11.0.1. (Unless Apple has changed the way they deploy updates.)

As for Time Machine, I intend to continue using the same external drive that I have been using to backup for Catalina. However, it's your choice whether or not to use a new backup drive.

Big Sur is a horse of a different color. :) It contains code for Intel machines and the new M1 machines which is why the update is so large. (over 12GB)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I can't disagree with anything Charlie has said. To clarify something about the second question you asked: Do you mean that you have two backups of both computers (one CCC and one Time Machine)? If that the case, you're pretty well set. If the upgrade fails or you don't like it, the CCC clone can be used to revert to Catalina.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I installed 11.1 over 11.0.1 and it seems to have even more snappy performance. Could be just me, but I'm liking Big Sur a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I can't disagree with anything Charlie has said. To clarify something about the second question you asked: Do you mean that you have two backups of both computers (one CCC and one Time Machine)? If that the case, you're pretty well set. If the upgrade fails or you don't like it, the CCC clone can be used to revert to Catalina.

Hi Sly and others who left comments - first, I don't want a situation where you cannot install the most recent upgrade, i.e. 11.1 in this case, without first installing the older one - seems to be NOT the situation. As to Sly's question I have 4 external drives dedicated to TM & CCC backups for each of my computers, so not worried about going back if I want to, know that - more concerned that once my computers are migrated to Big Sur, can I just continue to use TM & CCC w/ the same drives? Dave :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You should be able to do that. I chose not to do that right away. I'm still on Catalina mainly for convenience. Some of the videos I'm working on are for teachers who are new to the Mac and Catalina. Christmas break is approaching so I may update the Catalina clone that I have and upgrade then. I can still boot to Catalina from the clone as needed.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
There is not a lot in this update for me on my 13" 2015 MBPr, some features relate to services I don't use Like Arcade, others do not function in my region like Air Quality or are for devices I don't own or use like AirPods and the Apple TV which is now back in Australia. Improved connectivity for Apple Watch unlocking of MBP, well I haven't had a problem with that anyway or trackpad scrolling but I'm sure there are things in there that will apply to me and I don't like to fall too far behind with updates.
I will backup and update in a few days when the rush is off.
@Jake, pleased to hear it has worked well for you, hard to imagine mine being any snappier than it already is, overall I'm very happy with performance on Big Sur.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm a bit confused about the version numbering system though, in the past as with macOS 10.13 updates were like 10.13.1, 10.13.2 etc but despite the fact that About This Mac says I'm running 11.0.1 this update literally says "macOS Big Sur 11.1 Update 11.1" (3.27GB)
It used to be easy to understand, now, well, tell me it's not just me. I mean shouldn't it be 11.1.1 or 11.0.2?:(

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yours is not to reason why with big brother Apple. :p

No, because the next version of macOS will be macOS 12. Got it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
As the title says.....

I haven't upgraded to Big Sur. As I have a 2014 iMac should I give the upgrade a miss?

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I get that, it's OSX minus the X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a bit confused about the version numbering system though, in the past as with macOS 10.13 updates were like 10.13.1, 10.13.2 etc but despite the fact that About This Mac says I'm running 11.0.1 this update literally says "macOS Big Sur 11.1 Update 11.1" (3.27GB)
Rod, it actually does make sense. The first version of Big Sur that was released to the public was 11.0.1. That was because 11.0 was, I think, pre-installed on some Macs at the factory, but there were fixes to that version that Apple felt were important, so they rolled out 11.0.1 to get those factory installations to do the update when the system was sold and first turned on. Then they continued to fix/update/upgrade the system and now 11.1 is ready. The general numbering system is that the X.Y.Z system has X as the major release, so we moved from 10 to 11, then the Y is the major updates, so we moved from 11.0 to 11.1 and will probably see 11.2 or 11.3 or 11.4 later on, and then Z is minor updates, so we may well see 11.1.1, 11.1.2, etc.

What made it slightly confusing was the 11.0.1 numbering for what normally would have been just 11.0. And when Apple retired the OS X appellation, the signal was that the 10.x.y line was coming to an end. The "X" was a Roman numeral for 10, which got lost in the shuffle somewhere.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good analysis Jake. But we will see exactly what Apple has in mind with the numbering of their operating system releases. Some folks agree with you while others believe the next version of macOS will be 12.0.

BTW, try to figure out how Microsoft is doing their operating system numbering. Looks like they copied Apple and are sticking with Windows 10 but doing updates to it rather than Windows 11, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could be, Charlie, they did stick with the 10.x.y for a long time and may want to avoid that going forward. On the other hand, going slowly through the numbers does avoid the ridiculous numbers now in use for Firefox, for example. We shall see.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No doubt it will all become clearer as time goes by. It's just my concern that Apple have muddied the waters a bit for us as a forum.
We frequently ask users what macOS they are running so the less confusion there is about that the better.
Anyhow I applied the update last night because my connection was better than usual and this morning I see I am now on macOS 11.1 so perhaps we will stay on a two digit set rather than 11.1.0
At least they did move away from Roman numerals otherwise we may have been looking at OSXI 1:oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No doubt it will all become clearer as time goes by. It's just my concern that Apple have muddied the waters a bit for us as a forum.
Rod, nothing has changed. There are three numbers, and Apple uses them to show major upgrades, major updates and minor updates, just as they always have. And in this case they actually did stick with the same scheme, it's just that one version was only installed at the factory and the next was available for download. Don't make this more complicated than it is. It has been and will remain a three digit set.

Reaction score
Hi Dave:

I believe this update will take you to 11.1 without having to install 11.0.1. (Unless Apple has changed the way they deploy updates.)

As for Time Machine, I intend to continue using the same external drive that I have been using to backup for Catalina. However, it's your choice whether or not to use a new backup drive.

Big Sur is a horse of a different color. :) It contains code for Intel machines and the new M1 machines which is why the update is so large. (over 12GB)

General question

I have this: Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 9.59.44 AM.png

I just want to repeat my questions from another thread for confirmation (because my brain has a lousy memory--ROM is full of trivia and RAM doesn’t work much):

1) It is...not advisable that I upgrade to Catalina (or anything else) because my drive is not SSD?

2) No Catalina (or beyond) means no incompatibility with my ancient-version of Office nor any existing apps, but no updating of apps that go out-of-date?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@callmedory, 1) what you posted doesn't tell us the type drive you have installed. However, Mojave already formatted your boot drive to APFS, so that is not something that would suggest avoiding Catalina, or even Big Sur, at all.

2) If you stay behind, and your old software works, it should continue to work. You are correct that updates and upgrades will not be available, but what you have will (should) continue to work as it works now.

Reaction score
@callmedory, 1) what you posted doesn't tell us the type drive you have installed. However, Mojave already formatted your boot drive to APFS, so that is not something that would suggest avoiding Catalina, or even Big Sur, at all.

2) If you stay behind, and your old software works, it should continue to work. You are correct that updates and upgrades will not be available, but what you have will (should) continue to work as it works now.

Thanks, I followed instructions on finding the type drive:
Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 12.30.24 PM.png

Sure looks like is IS an SSD drive. At least it looks like it to me.

So I *could* go to Catalina and/or beyond without issue--except for my Office 2008 and similar items being obsolete under Catalina? That would be my problem. Major problem for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.