• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Best TV to get out of these?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
As of late the "claims" are generally 100,000 hrs from the leading manufacturers. (11.4 years at 24 hours a day.)
I would probably halve that (5.7 years at 24hrs a day) :)

I found this:
How Long do HDTV Plasma TV and LCD/LED TVs last? What's the Life Span?
LED TV vs LCD TV : LCD TV Buying Guide covers LED vs LCD

This to me leaves the question of the components lifespan rather than the display :p

I skimmed that, and it's worth mentioning that those advertised hours aren't total life-span, but until they are "half-dim."

Gradually pixels become less and less bright with use, and at the advertised 100,000 hours, they become half as dim as the day it was bought. That's when the settings need to be adjusted. By then, you probably have another t.v., anyway, however.

I know this is the case with plasma, anyway. Not sure about led or lcd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Well, here it is 3 months since my last inquiry and I am very close now to making my purchase.
I'm going with Panasonic based on the majority of people who posted here. Also, I'm sticking with plasma. More bang for my buck.

Based on the size of our living room and distance we will typically sit from the TV, I'm looking at 46" televisions. Panasonic has a new line of plasmas and this is their 46 incher TC-P46S30 - Viera® S30 Series Plasma HDTV - Shop and Compare at Panasonic
As I've said before, we don't like 3D (makes us nauseous) and I'm looking for long life. This particular model is estimated for 30 years at 8 hrs a day until it lowers to half the original brightness.

Just waiting on our tax refund to hit the bank account. The best deal I could find (so far) is amazon.com.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.