• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Best TV to get out of these?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The only real setup issue that I can see is calibration. Have you calibrated the screen, or had it done?

No I have not calibrated it...but doesn't calibration have more to do with picture quality rather than image retention?

I never see what you report on yours as far as image retention goes. I pause mine all the time and never have issue, and I always have the guide up for many minutes at a time and never see IR. My DirecTV receiver will go to a screensaver when it is paused, so that helps immensely.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I have Time-Warner cable...and they have one of those screen savers as well. When the screen saver "kicks in"...it's basically a blue screen with a Time-Warner logo of some sort that appears & disappears all over the screen. The logo only stays in any one spot for about 2-3 seconds...and honestly honestly...after only 2-3 seconds when the logic moves from one location to another...I have image retention on the screen where the logo used to be. This is how quickly the IR develops on my Samsung plasma.:(

If you are using pixel shift like you say, you should really be OK.

I'm definitely using the pixel shift...and I definitely am getting IR...and very very quickly. My Samsung TV also has a power setting feature...where you can set it on one of three settings (low, normal, high...or something like that). This has the effect of raising or lowering the intensity of the image displayed on the screen. I use the the lowest setting so that the TV uses less electricity. By doing this I felt that this should also help with IR...but like I mentioned above...I can get IR from the screen saver logo in only 3 seconds.

Thanks a ton for your suggestions,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Wow sounds like a lot of work to make a Plasma TV work correctly or does it just seem like that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
No I have not calibrated it...but doesn't calibration have more to do with picture quality rather than image retention?

Oh yes, purely a quality aspect here. Worth doing in the end and totally separate from your current issues.

glad you mentioned this. I have Time-Warner cable...and they have one of those screen savers as well. When the screen saver "kicks in"...it's basically a blue screen with a Time-Warner logo of some sort that appears & disappears all over the screen. The logo only stays in any one spot for about 2-3 seconds...and honestly honestly...after only 2-3 seconds when the logic moves from one location to another...I have image retention on the screen where the logo used to be. This is how quickly the IR develops on my Samsung plasma.:(

OK, this is weird. I never see the DirecTV logo after it moves to another spot on the screen. You are getting IR way too darn fast! My plasma is a Samsung too, did you post your model number in this thread? I would be curious to see which model you have compared to mine. There may be some kind of underlying issue with your set. Bottom line is that this should never happen this quick.

definitely using the pixel shift...and I definitely am getting IR...and very very quickly. My Samsung TV also has a power setting feature...where you can set it on one of three settings (low, normal, high...or something like that). This has the effect of raising or lowering the intensity of the image displayed on the screen. I use the the lowest setting so that the TV uses less electricity. By doing this I felt that this should also help with IR...but like I mentioned above...I can get IR from the screen saver logo in only 3 seconds.

Thanks a ton for your suggestions,:)

- Nick

I think that mine is on the medium power setting. Also, we always played the PS3 on the plasma and never had an issue with IR. It is not recommended on a plasma, but I never left any static images for any length of time on the screen. I have since moved all gaming to an LCD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Wow sounds like a lot of work to make a Plasma TV work correctly or does it just seem like that?

I don't think they are too much more work. In my case the power setting that needed adjusting was a one time 5 minute deal, and I don't think that this issue is present in current LCD/LED sets.

Don't get me wrong, the LCD's have a great picture but IMO the plasma is king when adjusted properly. There is a night and day difference in my eyes.

Like I spoke of earlier, all sets should be calibrated. Once this is done on any set it is definitely a WOW! factor. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, this is weird. I never see the DirecTV logo after it moves to another spot on the screen. You are getting IR way too darn fast! My plasma is a Samsung too, did you post your model number in this thread?

I thought about doing exactly this after my last post...so thanks for the reminder. It's a Samsung 50" plasma, Model #T-5054, manufacture date November 2007. It was purchased about January/February 2008...so I guess it's approx. 3 years old. It has very low hours on it.

I think that mine is on the medium power setting. Also, we always played the PS3 on the plasma and never had an issue with IR.
Yeah...if I play my PS3 on this plasma...BIG TIME image retention. But then that would be expected given what I've posted previously.

Thanks for any info you may be able to dig up,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I thought about doing exactly this after my last post...so thanks for the reminder. It's a Samsung 50" plasma, Model #T-5054, manufacture date November 2007. It was purchased about January/February 2008...so I guess it's approx. 3 years old. It has very low hours on it.

Yeah...if I play my PS3 on this plasma...BIG TIME image retention. But then that would be expected given what I've posted previously.

- Nick

Mine is a 42" so no comparison there. Head over to the AVSForums. I quickly did a search on the model you posted and saw a couple of comments on bad logic boards in 5054/5064 November builds.

Also, sorry to report that if you do a google with "T5054 image retention issues", you will see a lot of reviews with your experiences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

- Nick

It can affect image retention slightly. Generally, the brightness on all TVs is cranked all the way up. The brighter the pixels, the quicker IR occurs. Bright white lettering usually shoes up before anything else and much quicker.

They work like they're supposed to, calibrating it just gets you a better picture.

- Nick

Is it the super skinny one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Panasonic LCD for me over Plasma.

To check if they are the latest releases, and they bring out new models quarterly to keep up with Jones' as it were, go to the various manufacturers web sites. Also consider giving Hardly Normal's a call as they are keen to beat any opposition.

Being an Aussie you will know who I mean!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
It can have fairly devastating effects leaving the contrast too high. They call it "torch mode," and that's typically how it comes out of the box. They want it, for whatever reason, to deliver that punch. Unfortunately, most people don't even know to calibrate their t.v.s. I get onto my friends all the time about this. The brighter and hotter the pixels, the more likely you are to get IR or burn-in.

Not familiar with the issues on the 5054/5064, but I have the 4264 and never had a single issue. Not saying they aren't there, but it could be a luck of the draw kinda thing.

For you guys using the HP-Txx54/xx64 series, check out Main Page - Samsung Plasma TV FAQ. That's where I got all of my settings from, and they've been perfect. My MIL used these settings for her 550C Samsung, as well, and they've done her good.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mine is a 42" so no comparison there. Head over to the AVSForums. I quickly did a search on the model you posted and saw a couple of comments on bad logic boards in 5054/5064 November builds.

Also, sorry to report that if you do a google with "T5054 image retention issues", you will see a lot of reviews with your experiences.

Thanks again for the info...I head over to the AVSForums...and see what I can find.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Generally, the brightness on all TVs is cranked all the way up. The brighter the pixels, the quicker IR occurs. Bright white lettering usually shoes up before anything else and much quicker.
I always keep my contrast & brightness below 50%.

I also mentioned earlier...the Samsung's have what I would call an energy saving feature that allows the user to set the intensity of the display. It has three settings (low, med, and high)...with the low & high settings using about 100 watts less/more energy than the medium setting. I always keep this Samsung on the low setting...so between my brightness & contrast set at 50% or less, and this energy saving feature on "low"...I'm pretty darn sure I don't have the TV set at too high a "pixel brightness/intensity".

Is it the super skinny one?

No I don't think so. I just measured it, and it's 4" "thick".

Thanks for the help,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Since his question asked between the 3, I will go with the one I would by for myself, which would be the Panasonic. Panasonic is the leader in Plasma tv's, especially with their anti-screen burn in safety measures.

With that said though, the listing for that specific panasonic model shows NO info in regards to what features it has. Panasonic has various models that look exactly alike, but have different features, that would make or break my suggestion of getting it.

So, as was said before, I wouldn't buy from that online store. Look for a panasonic elsewhere.

I have Toshibas, and love them, but I hope to get a nice panasonic soon:)

OP
R
Reaction score
Panasonic LCD for me over Plasma.

To check if they are the latest releases, and they bring out new models quarterly to keep up with Jones' as it were, go to the various manufacturers web sites. Also consider giving Hardly Normal's a call as they are keen to beat any opposition.

Being an Aussie you will know who I mean!

yeah i've thought about HV but the reason i'm going to buy it with JB is cause they're having a 15% sale on tv's (amongst other things) tonight:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
yeah i've thought about HV but the reason i'm going to buy it with JB is cause they're having a 15% sale on tv's (amongst other things) tonight:)

As suggested by Harryb2448, check out the model you want, and give Harvey Norman's a call, and they'll probably beat them on price.

Reaction score
AVS Forums are very helpful in deciding what to get for your own needs.

They might be:
Playing video games (Xbox, PS3, etc)
Watching Sports (fast action)
Wide viewing angles (seating arrangements)
How much light in your room (Glare factors)
etc.

I recently purchased LG's 50PK550 and I'm loving it for my needs. You can go a bit crazy reading every post over there. You'll find each manufacture has some owners cursing their bad experiences and swearing never again buy "Brand X" again.

That's why we have so many choices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm not in the market for a new TV yet, but probably will be early next year (tax refund time). Aside from IR and glare from bright lights/sunlight, I wondered how long plasmas last. Lifetime of a plasma vs. LCD or LED. I think when they FIRST came out, I heard something like 5 yrs and I'm seriously thinking this will be the LAST TV I buy... for a long time anyways. So I want it to last.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...I'm seriously thinking this will be the LAST TV I buy... for a long time anyways. So I want it to last.

Unfortunately the LCD, Plasma, and LED TV situation has sort of turned into the same thing as we see in the computer world.

As you may know...back before large flat-screen TV's were available...CRT TV's were the only thing you had to choose from. And for the most part...the biggest "thing" that TV buyers shopped for was size. Sure picture quality was important too...but size was the really "BIG" factor in a new CRT TV.

And when you bought a CRT TV...it was the sort of thing that you kept using for 10, 15, 20 years...or more. My wife & I have a 50" Plasma...but we also still use (very often I might add) a 20 year-old 27" Sony TV...that's still just as good as the day it was purchased.

This I'm afraid is not what's happening with large screen flat-panel TV's. Technologies are evolving quickly (DLP TV's, 3D, more & more internet integration, etc.)...and prices on the old technology/previous generation flat-panel TV's are dropping quickly...as well as sizes getting larger. This sort of technological advancement (and obsolescence of older technology) is exactly the same thing that happens with computer hardware.

So what I'm saying is...you shouldn't have too much problem getting 5 years out of a large flat-panel TV...but with technologies advancing quickly, and prices dropping almost as quickly...you may find 2-3 years from now that your LCD, Plasma, or LED TV purchased in 2011 may not be so great any longer.

Just my humble opinion,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As an installer we recommend LCD's for brightly lit rooms and where there are lots of windows that will not have shades or curtains pulled and plasma's for everything else.
The new Panasonics have the best picture in the business (VT-25) if movies and sports
are your prime viewing that have the most accurate color and black levels to date without
the current 6 to 8ms rise time in LCD's which try to cure this by advertising 240hz refresh
rate. We have had great luck with Sharp's and Sony LCD's. There are numerous threads
about the pros and cons but for the best picture quality videophiles will all go the high
end Panasonics and mine is currently 7 years old works great but will not do 1080p so
when the budget allows a new Panny will be on order.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
So what I'm saying is...you shouldn't have too much problem getting 5 years out of a large flat-panel TV...but with technologies advancing quickly, and prices dropping almost as quickly...you may find 2-3 years from now that your LCD, Plasma, or LED TV purchased in 2011 may not be so great any longer.

Just my humble opinion,

- Nick

I fully understand what you're saying but my wife and I are not rapid tech changers. My 2 yr old MBP will be the only notebook we have until it breaks. The next TV we buy will be the last one we have until it breaks down. We don't want and don't like 3D. Won't ever own a 3D TV. So it's more about quality than cutting edge technology for us. I want a TV with a clear picture that will last at least 10 yrs. We're considering plasma because of the lower prices and crisper colors and deeper blacks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.