• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

AT&T officially announces iPhone plan(s) cost

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display
When it comes to me, I'll be waiting until at least a 32GB 3G iPhone model comes out. I have a 16 now and it's getting too close to full. I don't really have much music on it, but I have tons of video. The iPhone is much nicer than my iPod Video for watching movies when I'm traveling. And since I don't have a laptop yet, my iPhone is my favorite device. I've been leaving room on it becasue I'm not sure how many apps I'll be getting and how much room they'll take. But I know that with 32 I'd be set. 3G is nice, but most of the stuff I look up loads fine and quick enough on EDGE. So while I have a desire for 3G, I don't have a need for it. The only other thing that I really want is GPS, but again it's a desire, not a need. Therefore I'll wait. Besides, I hate getting locked into contracts so I'm staying out of one for as long as I can.

As for the complaining about the price, I'm sure everyone here paid a price hike when they went from dial-up to broadband. Why does everyone think AT&T should give them faster data speeds for the same price? The only real people who have room to complain are the one's who have little to no 3G coverage in their area, but will still have to pay for it. And in that case, they probably shouldn't have waited so long to get an iPhone. Despite whatever the reason was that you didn't get one before, this is how it is now. If you want it, deal with the price.

You can't compare a phone to a notebook. You are far more likely to drop your phone than you are your notebook, so durability becomes an even bigger factor. The current iPhone has a pretty solid aluminum back and isn't prone to scratches either. The new plastic one, however, will be far more likely to break or crack when dropped as opposed to the metal version. And judging Apple's choice in plastics, will also scratch very easily.

So while you are most certainly getting better call quality, it is most definitely going to be more fragile than the current iPhone, though admittedly no more fragile than any other cell phone on the market as they all tend to be made of plastic.

Well that might be, but quite frankly, anyone who does not buy a case for their iPhone, Gen 1 or Gen 2 is asking for trouble. And if you buy a case that's any good, scratches and broken screens should be of no real worry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
As for the complaining about the price, I'm sure everyone here paid a price hike when they went from dial-up to broadband. Why does everyone think AT&T should give them faster data speeds for the same price? The only real people who have room to complain are the one's who have little to no 3G coverage in their area, but will still have to pay for it. And in that case, they probably shouldn't have waited so long to get an iPhone. Despite whatever the reason was that you didn't get one before, this is how it is now. If you want it, deal with the price.

Because maybe they don't charge extra for other phones? I went from my 8125 which had EDGE to an 8525 with 3G, but my data plan's price didn't go up. Granted, the updated price is more in line with other phones in its class, but it's understandable why people are annoyed with the price hike.

Well that might be, but quite frankly, anyone who does not buy a case for their iPhone, Gen 1 or Gen 2 is asking for trouble. And if you buy a case that's any good, scratches and broken screens should be of no real worry.

That was the beauty of the first iPhone, you didn't need a case to protect it as it's a solid device. I haven't had a case or any sort of protection on my iPhone and despite having dropped it multiple times, it still works perfectly fine with only minor blemishes. If I had the new iPhone and had dropped it like I had my current iPhone, no way would it have held up as well. So with the new iPhone, you are essentially required to get a case or some other sort of protection to prevent damage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because maybe they don't charge extra for other phones? I went from my 8125 which had EDGE to an 8525 with 3G, but my data plan's price didn't go up. Granted, the updated price is more in line with other phones in its class, but it's understandable why people are annoyed with the price hike.

It's understandable in the sense that I can fathom that people would be upset, that is, I understand its happening. But it's not reasonable. As you said yourself, its in line with the pricing of other phones in its class. It's completly fair, comprable pricing. People just got spoiled by the Great deal the first iPhone data plan was and now they're whinning.

That was the beauty of the first iPhone, you didn't need a case to protect it as it's a solid device. I haven't had a case or any sort of protection on my iPhone and despite having dropped it multiple times, it still works perfectly fine with only minor blemishes. If I had the new iPhone and had dropped it like I had my current iPhone, no way would it have held up as well. So with the new iPhone, you are essentially required to get a case or some other sort of protection to prevent damage.

Well every person I know that has an iPhone and dropped it either cracked, or shattered the glass, or dented the backing up somewhat badly. Everyone I know that has one in a case and dropped it never had a problem. Mine has been in a case since day one, though I've also never dropped mine. (surprisingly) But when I do, I'm not worried about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Here in Australia first prices and plans are:-

8GB $729
16GB $849

On a $50 p.m. plan costs are 78¢ per minute, 35¢ flag fall per call, voicemail 20¢ per 30 seconds and 500MB myData.

Is that over the top compared to US pricing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB

The price hike is because the iPhone dropped in price! I'm confused why people are having so much trouble understanding this. Over a 2-year contract the 3G iPhone works out to be very close to the same price as the gen 1 iPhone.

Reaction score
Then Give me the Option to pay full price and keep my price plan if that is the case being we are losing out on 200 SMS plus another 15 for enterpise package? little to much taking into account the way the economy is going....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The price hike is because the iPhone dropped in price! I'm confused why people are having so much trouble understanding this. Over a 2-year contract the 3G iPhone works out to be very close to the same price as the gen 1 iPhone.

Actually it will end up costing more.

Reaction score
breaks down like this keeping it to the basics $20 a month for the 1st Iphone data with 200 SMS we paid ($200 more to the price of the phone)
NEW phone you Save ($200 on the price) but Pay $30 for data and lose 200 SMS

you are in a 2 year contract if you save $200 on the price of the phone
But pay $10 a month more for data and then another $5 for the 200 SMS we lost bring a total of $15 a month more with 24 months
for a grand total of $360. now deduct $200. that they give you for the phone and you are left over paying $160.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Actually it will end up costing more.

Just saw an article on this on MSNBC. They quoted the new plan w/ phone will cost you at minimum about $40 more for two years than the original iPhone.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25102522/wid/11915829

$40 over 2 years sure is a huge price hike. We should all get really made and send Steve Jobs letters complaining. Never mind the fact that the new iPhone does more than the old ones. [/sarcasm]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.6GHz - 4GB
To be honest, I was surprised when the iPhone plan for data was $20, so I'm not really surprised they upped it. I doubt text messages cost that much in bandwidth, so it would have been nice if they threw in at least 50-100.

As far as people's complaints that it's too expensive, last I checked Verizon's basic plan for voice and data was 79.99, and doesn't include text messages either. So I hope there's aren't any Verizon users complaining here.

You shouldn't hear anything from Verizon users since they can not use the iPhone! They could care less what AT&T charges (unless they plan to get the iPhone)!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook with Leopard! YAY!
You shouldn't hear anything from Verizon users since they can not use the iPhone! They could care less what AT&T charges (unless they plan to get the iPhone)!

Uhh yeah most of us posting here are complaining because we do plan on getting an iPhone. Why wouldn't we care anyway?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in 2008 MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz
wow, thats really pricy compared to their original plan, i might not even get one now seeing as how im stingy on money at the moment :p

Reaction score
wow, thats really pricy compared to their original plan, i might not even get one now seeing as how im stingy on money at the moment :p

need emails like that to AT&T not apple its the fact times are hard.
Or what would be nice for loyal apple costumers who had the orginal Iphone
to give them a discount or give them 200 SMS thanks for loyalty Oh wait Loyalty LOL that means nothing to the AT&T corp

Reaction score

Well worded - same thoughts I am having. I have noticed that with the Instinct (Sprint bills this as their "iPhone killer") you have to upgrade to a new plan and the minimum cost runs from $69 - $100 per month. Looks like all of them are beginning to up their prices. I still do not have to like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook with Leopard! YAY!
Would everyone please stop bashing AT&T? They need to make a sufficient profit somehow, an look at the prices compared to any other smartphones. They're not that far off from iPhone plans... wait maybe that's because the are EXACTLY THE SAME PLANS!!! You will still have to pay at least 70/mo for any any old smartphone with unlimited data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
Would everyone please stop bashing AT&T? They need to make a sufficient profit somehow, an look at the prices compared to any other smartphones. They're not that far off from iPhone plans... wait maybe that's because the are EXACTLY THE SAME PLANS!!! You will still have to pay at least 70/mo for any any old smartphone with unlimited data.

But people want to spend the same or less, and get more than they paid for last time!?!?!

lol

Buying a 16gb iPhone 3G @ 8am July 11th.

Bought my 8gb iPhone on iDay last year.

On a family plan atm, sat down with AT&T, looked over my contract, only going to pay $10 more a month.

Works for me, regardless of monthly costs.

If you work through your features and contract..

You'd be amazed at how much you don't really have to pay =P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I have an iphone on Tmobile family plan,The equivalent At&t plan is $22.00 more per month. This is before taxes.It's too much for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
need emails like that to AT&T not apple its the fact times are hard.
Or what would be nice for loyal apple costumers who had the orginal Iphone
to give them a discount or give them 200 SMS thanks for loyalty Oh wait Loyalty LOL that means nothing to the AT&T corp

Well since anyone who bought the original iPhone can get the new one at the discounted rate despite their current contract situation, it seems like they ARE rewarding those who are loyal.

Similar Verizon smartphone plans are $79 per month without text messages.

Anything else??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
$40 over 2 years sure is a huge price hike. We should all get really made and send Steve Jobs letters complaining. Never mind the fact that the new iPhone does more than the old ones. [/sarcasm]

Perhaps you should read the thread before you grab my quote to add your sarcasm to it. I was defending AT&T's price hike a few posts ago.

I wasn't complaining in the slightest, just stating a fact.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.