• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

AT&T officially announces iPhone plan(s) cost

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'm currently paying $75 a month for the base voice plan, unlimited data, and 1500 text messages. While $200 for an upgrade is enticing, I would be paying an additional $10 for data and an additional $5 for text messages, bringing my total to $90 a month. $75 a month right now seems high, but $90 seems a tad much just for GPS and faster data speeds. Not to mention the fact that new phone is going to be far more fragile with its all plastic construction. It really doesn't seem like it's worth it.

Reaction score
Hmm, it's roughly $5 more than what I'm paying now if you add in the text messaging. It says that I'm eligible for an upgrade as well. I'm going to wait a little bit to see if it's worth upgrading. I want the white one, but it's weird that the front is still black. I don't get it. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Are those prices what your guys are paying before your minutes?! My bill is usually $110-$117 a month for 450 anytime minutes and unlimited text/pix/internet on my Samsung BlackJack (piece of crap, BTW, never will get a Windows Mobile device again!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro SR
More fragile? Everything I have read says it will be more durable. I think the same principle will apply to the iPhone that does to Macbooks and Macbook Pros. The plastic Macbook is more durable than the Macbook Pro.

The Plastic housing allows the phone to have better recption. So for me, Better Reception, better ear speaker, extended battery life, MUCH faster 3G speeds, GPS, more comfortable to hold etc....it is worth it.

Pricing isnt anything to complain about. Any PDA on AT&T costs this much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Not to mention the fact that new phone is going to be far more fragile with its all plastic construction. It really doesn't seem like it's worth it.
I don't really think that it'll be that much more fragile. I prefer the plastic back because it will help with the weight and is easier to grip. Judging from the shaping as well, it should be easier to hold. We'll see, I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I guess I won't be upgrading. That's bull that AT&T will charge extra for the phone for current customers.
I'll stick with my original plan and upgrade after the two years and hope the 32GB version is out.

They're charging more because the new phone costs less...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More fragile? Everything I have read says it will be more durable. I think the same principle will apply to the iPhone that does to Macbooks and Macbook Pros. The plastic Macbook is more durable than the Macbook Pro. .

You can't compare a phone to a notebook. You are far more likely to drop your phone than you are your notebook, so durability becomes an even bigger factor. The current iPhone has a pretty solid aluminum back and isn't prone to scratches either. The new plastic one, however, will be far more likely to break or crack when dropped as opposed to the metal version. And judging Apple's choice in plastics, will also scratch very easily.

So while you are most certainly getting better call quality, it is most definitely going to be more fragile than the current iPhone, though admittedly no more fragile than any other cell phone on the market as they all tend to be made of plastic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Well hopefully Apple has learned from their scratch-prone plastic use in the past. I'm definitely getting it for the 3G speed. I've been caught needing to looking something up a number of times outside of wifi and the slower Edge is very frustrating.

To me the built-in GPS function is going to be next to useless for driving, but if Garmin or TomTom makes a GPS app for the phone with text-to-speech and 3D maps, it will probably make a good GPS device substitution.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
To me the built-in GPS function is going to be next to useless for driving, but if Garmin or TomTom makes a GPS app for the phone with text-to-speech and 3D maps, it will probably make a good GPS device substitution.

I think I had actually heard something about Garmin making an app. for the iPhone, but I have to look into that some more to see if it just wasn't another rumor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well hopefully Apple has learned from their scratch-prone plastic use in the past. I'm definitely getting it for the 3G speed. I've been caught needing to looking something up a number of times outside of wifi and the slower Edge is very frustrating.

EDGE works pretty well in my area. It's essentially going to boil down to what EDGE speeds are like in southern California when I move out there in a few weeks. If it's horribly unusable, like it is in Las Vegas, then I might have to upgrade to 3G just to get decent Internet speeds. It would suck to have to pay more, but I would rather pay $15 more per month than have essentially non-functioning Internet on my phone :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
You can't compare a phone to a notebook. You are far more likely to drop your phone than you are your notebook, so durability becomes an even bigger factor. The current iPhone has a pretty solid aluminum back and isn't prone to scratches either. The new plastic one, however, will be far more likely to break or crack when dropped as opposed to the metal version. And judging Apple's choice in plastics, will also scratch very easily.

So while you are most certainly getting better call quality, it is most definitely going to be more fragile than the current iPhone, though admittedly no more fragile than any other cell phone on the market as they all tend to be made of plastic.

And that is why I already pre-ordered the Zagg Invisible Shield for the iPhone 3G!

Reaction score
To be honest, I was surprised when the iPhone plan for data was $20, so I'm not really surprised they upped it. I doubt text messages cost that much in bandwidth, so it would have been nice if they threw in at least 50-100.

As far as people's complaints that it's too expensive, last I checked Verizon's basic plan for voice and data was 79.99, and doesn't include text messages either. So I hope there's aren't any Verizon users complaining here.

I use the Palm Centro on Sprint and my total cost (counting 200 text messages per month) is only $55.00 per month (with all the taxes added on). I might have to rethink this: less programs available, higher cost, etc, etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Judging by other software, I would imagine it being no higher than $20. $10 - $15 is a safe bet.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Judging by other software, I would imagine it being no higher than $20. $10 - $15 is a safe bet.

If it's anymore than $30 I'm not even going to consider it. but i like your guess of $15. But maybe they will do a monthly/yearly subscription... just a thought

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
ANOTHER 3G question for you all...
My wife and I will both be getting iPhones... Our main reasons are
1. Bad service with T-mobile in our area (enough so that they are letting us out of the contract!).
2. Great internet and email access.
3. GPS.
4. Great Smartphone abilities... Address, calendar, apps... etc...

Anyway... to the point: We don't use a lot of phone minutes unless we are calling each other (mobile to mobile). In the past we usually use less than 450 minutes combined (crazy I know).
Would it be financially beneficial to go with a single 450 minute plan and "add a line"... can't you add a line for 9.99???

By my calculations that would be 69.99 for the first line... 9.99 to add a line and 30 bucks for data on the 2nd line...

Roughly 110 bucks right? Does this theory pan out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure whether your idea will work, but in case it doesn't, you can always get the base Family Plan for only $129.99

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
My fiance and I will be going w/ a family plan, too. She will be leaving Sprint and coming over to me w/ AT&T. Looks like I need to start looking at those plans!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.