Are you getting an iPad 2?

Reaction score
Need...no. Would like to trade up...yes. Is it worth losing several hundred on my existing iPad to sell and upgrade to the iPad 2? No. Will I trade up...maybe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I very well MIGHT get one. But it depends. Does anybody know if the iPad 2 is going to have a feature which would enable IT to be a hotspot? (not the phone) If so, and I'm able to create an ad hoc network between it, and my D300 with an Eye Fi SD card (and CF adapter of course), then it might be worth it.

In case nobody knows what the heck I'm talking about, here's a great example: watch the video

Otherwise, I'd have to Jailbreak it.. which is fine, but it would be nice to keep up with firmware updates and not worry about breaking the JB for any amount of time etc... Plus, it would be really nice to see some other photo organization/showcase app other than iPhoto. One which would let me sort things without the hassle of a database.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I very well MIGHT get one. But it depends. Does anybody know if the iPad 2 is going to have a feature which would enable IT to be a hotspot? (not the phone) If so, and I'm able to create an ad hoc network between it, and my D300 with an Eye Fi SD card (and CF adapter of course), then it might be worth it.

In case nobody knows what the heck I'm talking about, here's a great example: watch the video

Otherwise, I'd have to Jailbreak it.. which is fine, but it would be nice to keep up with firmware updates and not worry about breaking the JB for any amount of time etc... Plus, it would be really nice to see some other photo organization/showcase app other than iPhoto. One which would let me sort things without the hassle of a database.

Doug

Doug,

So far everything I've read states clearly that iOS 4.3 will bring the HotSpot functionality only to the iPhone 4... Kind of a bummer.

But JailBreaking is always an option.

M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbookpro, ipad, ipod, iphone (Verizon)
I'm getting one as soon as the dust settles. I have ipad one with 3G but I don't use it since I have my Verizon iphone so the new one will just be a wi-fi. I take my ipad to bed and use it until I fall asleep and I carry it with me when I get up in the morning.
I don't care too much for the camera, it's awkward to take pictures with, but I would love a usb port to carry an optic drive to watch DVD's. Ohwell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Nope. Got a 1st gen. Waiting for 3rd. My iPad is just too new and I'm wayyy too broke to get an iPad 2. Plus I don't mind waiting. Nothing on the 2 makes me feel like I just gotta have it. Maybe iPad 3 will have retina display, better cameras, and an even faster processor. That's when I'll sell (or possibly keep) my current one and get the newest iPad.

Reaction score
Yes, IPAD 2 for me

I run my business (storm restoration) on Macs - 3 MBPs and an iMac 27
However, we use Android phones
All work well together - we use Google Apps, Google Docs plus Dropbox for apps and docs storage. My business process is captured in a massive Google Docs spreadsheet that we all share.

I am on the road 10 - 12 hours per day in my pickup truck from April thru October. I have had a hard time accessing as much of my company applications as I want on the road via my Nexus 1 phone and carrying a MBP works but is kinda big as I use it in the front seat of my pickup. I can use the Nexus 1 with hotspot to hookup a MBP to Google docs and that works good when I have a 3G connection.

I will buy an IPAD 2 this Friday - I am going to get the 3G model and mount it to a pivot arm in my truck so I can move it closer to me or out of the way. I plan to use it primarily for:

1) Recording audio notes while I drive - I get lead phone calls and writing notes on a yellow pad is quite dangerous and I can't always pull over or ask a lead to call back
2) Displaying marketing/sales data (via web access) to customers
3) Accessing Google Docs - read and EDIT - job review, order input, leads input etc.
4) Taking pictures and videos of homes I am working on

In my case, the portability of the IPAD 2 over a MBP or a MacBook Air is a key criteria. I can envision safely clicking on a "Record" icon on the IPAD screen while I am driving to take down new leads info. Again, the IPAD will need to be mounted on a pivoting swing arm for this to all work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
I'm going for a black 32g wi-fi only model. I haven't decided where I'll be buying though. The Apple Store is about 45-50 min away. There is a Best Buy in town but they are saying they don't know if they will get it by Friday. Actually there are 4 Best Buys closer than the Apple Store. But, being a single parent, I can't just camp out all night and day.

Reaction score
I will be getting one to use in Japan when I go in 3 weeks to Facetime home. If it were not for that I'd just buy the original iPad as its cheaper and I'm always trying to save a buck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Doug,

So far everything I've read states clearly that iOS 4.3 will bring the HotSpot functionality only to the iPhone 4... Kind of a bummer.

But JailBreaking is always an option.

M

Darn. I can only hope that you have poor reading comprehension skills... I'd take that as a trade off for the iPad with a hotspot feature. :p But yeah, I guess Jailbreaking will have to do, should I get one.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I'm taking the plunge Friday when they are released. I want to purchase one of the new MacBook Pro's or Air but I can't quite afford it unless I sell my iMac. But I figure, if I have to, I can sell the iPad 2 immediately. It'll sell in a heart beat, so I'd get my money back if I feel I'm not going to use it much.

My room mate has an iPad 1 currently, she never really uses it. I actually use it a great deal more than she does, so it's practically mine. Just stinks that her iTunes account is linked to it, she wouldn't be happy if I put mine on it, so the best solution seems to be I get my own. Now her's won't be used, but mine will! :D

I think I'm going to go for the white one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Darn. I can only hope that you have poor reading comprehension skills... I'd take that as a trade off for the iPad with a hotspot feature. :p But yeah, I guess Jailbreaking will have to do, should I get one.

Doug

I whole heartedly agree with you. I am hoping that I read and heard it wrong. I wish I can get the HotSpot option on my 3G iPad.... It would BALLIN' :)

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Surprised there is a 2:1 ratio favoring the black iPad. I figured it would be pretty even, if not, then the white iPad being the popular choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
Initially I was really turned off by the white iPads, but I'm starting to come around. Maybe within the next 48 hours I'll change my mind from black to white.

I did find another and unexpected retailer that I think I'll try instead of nationwide stores. My university's bookstore is Apple authorized and will be selling them. They said so far only 4-5 people have asked about the iPad2. I think there is a better chance for less hassle and lines and demand "competing against poor college students" there than at Best Buy or Target or the Apple Store.

Reaction score
I'll get one, but not sure when because my country is not even on second list with launch date 25 march.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
if they invent one that cooks my dinner i will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Initially I was really turned off by the white iPads, but I'm starting to come around. Maybe within the next 48 hours I'll change my mind from black to white.

I did find another and unexpected retailer that I think I'll try instead of nationwide stores. My university's bookstore is Apple authorized and will be selling them. They said so far only 4-5 people have asked about the iPad2. I think there is a better chance for less hassle and lines and demand "competing against poor college students" there than at Best Buy or Target or the Apple Store.

You are brilliant. I had forgotten about My university's Bookstore until I saw your post. They will be carrying them, and they said they'd call to confirm on Friday.

Thank you Leiyah. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome =)

Reaction score
Seeing how I don't even have the first iPad, I think this is the perfect time for me to buy one since they're so cheap now :D Plus, I like the overall design of the older model over the iPad 2.

Reaction score
I currently have iPad and I am not planning to upgrade it because not a whole lot of difference between iPad & iPad 2 (Just a faster processor & a Camera which is not that great quality. BUt people who don't have one and are itching for one should definitely get one (suggestion..32 GB WiFi).

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
We are going to St Louis next weekend and a visit to the Apple store is in the schedule. My wife and I have agreed we will spend some time playing with the iPad2. If we are impressed we will upgrade and pass our first gen iPads down to the kids.
If not, we wait for iPad3 which Schweb has assured us won't be until next year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.