Apple Press Conference Friday --

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
EDIT: on another note regarding my iPhone, I have just noticed that the left screw at the bottom (when looking at the iPhone front on) is sticking out a fair bit (enough to be caught by things in your pocket etc). I'm certain this wasn't like this when I bought the phone, so either I've been dismantling my iPhone in my sleep or the screw is slowly working itself loose?

I feel for you. Hopefully Apple are already aware of this and will focus on this topic during the press conference. If not, return it for a full refund or if you have insurance then you can claim on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm pretty sure the focus of the press conference will not be the screw coming loose. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
I have been a huge supporter of Apple products for the last 15 years, I understand that all new products have their issues, thats all part of the process. I am hoping that Apple has a solution on the burner that doesent include replacing units, that would be a nightmare for us the consumer to go thru. I will say this one comment that would make me definetly return my phone and go with a Droid Evo is them telling me in order for the phone to work correctly i have to hold it a certain way.... thats not a fix its a design flaw! i have faith in Apple though Im sure they will get this taken care of as painless as possible.... good luck to us all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
I'm pretty sure the focus of the press conference will not be the screw coming loose. ;)

How can you be so sure? But if not, there is no need to worry. With people like me on the forum that are highly experienced with using screwdrivers I'm sure we can solve this problem in no time. Firstly we need to start on the basics. Here I have a quote from eHow:

"There are many different types of screwdrivers, but the two most common screwdrivers are the standard, flat-head screwdriver and the Phillips head screwdriver. In order to properly use these screwdrivers, you must match the size and type of screw with the size and type of screwdriver. Once you have the correct screwdriver, using the screwdriver is fairly easy."

Now you know the basics, we can get started.

1) Go to your local DIY store with your iPhone. Ask a member of staff to find you the right Phillips screwdriver to fit your phone. Purchase it.
2) Equip the screwdriver in the way you feel most comfortable doing so.
3) Make contact with the loose screw using the head of your screwdriver (see image below).
4) Fit the screwdriver into the engraved cross of the screw. (Again refer to image below)
5) Twist until the screw is tightly fitted and no longer loose.

how-to-countersink-05.gif

Hope this helps, feel free to ask more questions if you are still unsure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Don't just try to screw it in. When they put the phones together they put a little blue gel on the tips of the screws. When they unscrew that gel comes loose and that's how they know to void your warranty. You can try to screw it back in, but if that gel has already been stripped loose you might be SOL should you have to bring it in later for a problem. I'd go ahead and inform them of the loose screw if I were you.

A $30 credit would be a slap in the face of the consumer. If there truly is a hardware problem as Consumer Reports suggests the best move Apple could make is to actually fix the problem, not cover it up. A lot of people absolutely love the way the phone looks and don't want to cover it up, so to them a $30 accessory credit won't fix the problem. Apple definitely dropped the ball (call?!) on this one IF it does turn out to be a hardware problem.

That blue "gel" is a liquid called by many names - most notably Locktite. It can be purchased at most automotive and home improvement stores. Use a toothpick to dab it on the threads. It's not proprietary to Apple and can be easily re-applied if you remove a screw from a product. It is used on Apple's notebook computers as well. Just make sure you use blue locktite and not red Locktite. The red version requires a blowtorch to heat and remove it.

Reaction score
I know this will seem like a really dumb question to some of you, but...how do we watch the conference? I would like to see it, but not sure where to find it! Thanks so much...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB
A $30 credit would be a slap in the face of the consumer. If there truly is a hardware problem as Consumer Reports suggests the best move Apple could make is to actually fix the problem, not cover it up. A lot of people absolutely love the way the phone looks and don't want to cover it up, so to them a $30 accessory credit won't fix the problem. Apple definitely dropped the ball (call?!) on this one IF it does turn out to be a hardware problem.
I disagree. I saw Consumer Reports on the CBS Early Show the other day and they concurred a simple free accessory would suffice. There is no need to recall the iPhone to "fix" that space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Get it running correctly without the case, then I'll be wowed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
I disagree. I saw Consumer Reports on the CBS Early Show the other day and they concurred a simple free accessory would suffice. There is no need to recall the iPhone to "fix" that space.

Yeah, I read the Consumer Reports report where they agreed a simple case would remedy the problem, and a free case is perfectly fine with me...I was going to get one anyway. However, if it is a hardware issue - if it turns out Apple produced a defective product then I think they need to fix the defect instead of literally covering it up.

If they aren't going to fix the defect, then I think they need to offer full refunds to everyone who doesn't want to tote an iPhone in a case.

If you bought an oven that had a defect where your hand was burned every time you opened it would you want them to fix the problem, or give you a free oven mitt?

*EDIT: Here's what I think may happen. Apple will announce that phones with reception issues do exist, but are few and far between. These customers will have the option of exchanging their phones for a new one of the same design in hopes that the new one doesn't have the reception issue. The fact that the replacement phone will not be built any differently will deter those with functional phones from asking for an exchange. Free bumpers will be offered to everyone else.

Of course, I have never run a business, so this may be a stupid solution...but I do think we all agree Apple needs to do something to fix public perception of the brand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get to the point already Jobs we dont wanna hear about how other phones have similar issues tell us how your gonna fix my iphone! lOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get to the point already Jobs we dont wanna hear about how other phones have similar issues tell us how your gonna fix my iphone! lOL

No kidding...I'd also like to know how he's holding those phones to replicate the signal problems. I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't occur through normal holding techniques as it does with the iPhone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iOS 4.0.1 out downloading now

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Free bumpers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Funny how it puts this whole problem into perspective when you get the hard data behind it:

Only 0.5% complaint rate to AppleCare
Returns 1/3 of that of the iPhone 3GS
Drops calls only 1% more often than iPhone 3GS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Funny how it puts this whole problem into perspective when you get the hard data behind it:

Only 0.5% complaint rate to AppleCare
Returns 1/3 of that of the iPhone 3GS
Drops calls only 1% more often than iPhone 3GS

Yes.... they really have their stuff together... amaizing how the return rate of iPhone 4 is less then 3g return rate and has a bigger issue... but its cool how hes offering returns with no restock fee to weed out the whinners... and the free bumper and a refund if you bought one is awesome... looks like im getting a refund!

1% drop out of 100 calls is really not bad at all

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This quote by Jobs is why I adore Apple products "All because the company loves and appreciates its users. Still, Apple's not perfect and it will fall short at times. But it must move forward, pick itself up, dust itself off"

STEVE JOBS FOR PRESIDENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.