• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple launches 1st generation iPod nano replacement program

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just received a brand new iPod nano (silver) today. I think I was pretty confident in getting the current gen, when I saw the serial number didn't seem anywhere near the likes of an old iPod nano's serial number in the email I was sent beforehand. Very excited to have it!

I really love mine so far. I do a lot of walking long distances and the Pedometer comes in handy and even used the radio a time or two! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I really love mine so far. I do a lot of walking long distances and the Pedometer comes in handy and even used the radio a time or two! :D

I've been thinking of getting one to use as a watch, along with the usual iPod features. What do you think of the watch app/feature?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I've been thinking of getting one to use as a watch, along with the usual iPod features. What do you think of the watch app/feature?

Funny you would ask that! I forgot to mention the watch part. You can change the face with 18 different faces and it looks great as a watch. Thinking of doing that myself. Apple has a bunch of Watch bands for it also at the Apple Store.

Reaction score
I sent mine in back in November, have yet to hear anything. Even if I sign into my Apple account online, there is no mention of it. Getting a little worried now.

Reaction score
I sent mine in back in November, have yet to hear anything. Even if I sign into my Apple account online, there is no mention of it. Getting a little worried now.

I wouldn't worry. I sent mine back on Nov 22 and just received the new one this week (Dec 27). It shouldn't be much longer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" 10.8 (latest)
Going to send mine in tomorrow.
That would be great if they replaced it!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Did you get an email that they received your old one? Maybe because you not in USA it's taking longer. I hope so anyway and hope you hear something soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Funny you would ask that! I forgot to mention the watch part. You can change the face with 18 different faces and it looks great as a watch. Thinking of doing that myself. Apple has a bunch of Watch bands for it also at the Apple Store.

Yeah, I got to play with it at the Apple store while I was in DC for christmas. I tinkered with it for a good 15-20 minutes, and looked at the LunaTik LYNK. I'm probably going to get them as a birthday present for myself:)

Reaction score
Did you get an email that they received your old one? Maybe because you not in USA it's taking longer. I hope so anyway and hope you hear something soon!

No Dennis, nothing other then the Ups guy picking it up and that's it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I never received confirmation emails. The only emails I received were the ones letting me know the replacements were on their way. You are probably fine. My first replacement email was on Monday. The unit arrived yesterday.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I opted into the replacement program on November 13. Don't remember at all, when I received my box to send in my iPod nano. Then I got my iPad nano just a few days ago (of course). But that duration is probably only typical for the U.S.

Also, I only only got an email, when I opted into the program, and another email when Apple sent the new iPod nano out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 Ghz Intel Quad Core i5, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB SATA HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB
I'm surprised, normally companies wouldn't even care, especially 5 years AFTER they were manufactured. And then to offer an updated iPod Nano, well, proves Apple do care about consumers.

- Deadmac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Finally, after waiting since November 15th, my new Nano will be here Monday. I lucked out, as it will be a brand new 6th Gen Nano rather than a referb gen 1. So, cant complain. ****, the fact that it was replaced at all is awesome, especially since I didnt have any issues with the battery to begin with.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To me it was worth the wait but you sure had to wait a long time, but in the end I think you will be happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I just received an email to say mine is now on the way. It has taken quite a while, but part of that is the Christmas delay on shipping.

Amazingly, when I entered the Serial Number of the replacement iPod on the Apple website, it comes up as a 6th Gen Nano!!

Shame I bought one of those quite recently, but still amazing that I will get a current model Nano to replace an old one I had long ago 'archived' in a drawer and which had never shown any problems anyway.

Amazing service Apple.

Now if they could just find some sort of problems with iPhone 3G ......... :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
It arrived today - an 8GB silver 6th Gen iPod Nano!!!

Not in a proper box, so I assume it is a refurbished one.

Shame I went ahead and bought a 16GB one last month (just before this issue was announced), after much deliberation :)

Still an amazing service from Apple regarding a device I hadn't used for years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The second one arrived yesterday.

So instead of a 2GB and a 4GB 1st Gen iPod Nano, I have two 8GB 6th Gen ones. Both refurbished (I assume) but still definitely superior in every way to the originals - especially as I had effectively pensioned off the originals long ago.

Just wish I hadn't bought a 16GB 6th Gen iPod Nano last year during the Thanksgiving Monday event :)

I cannot imagine any other Manufacturer doing something like this for a product so old. Well done Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.4 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB, 250 Gig HD, Mac OS x 10.6.4
How long did it take to get your box to send the iPod back. It has been 9 days and I haven't gotten my box yet. Is that normal?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.